PDA

View Full Version : Pink Brass Question

possom813
05-24-2013, 05:40 AM
I overdid the lemishine on some cases the other day and they turned out a pinkish hue.

It seems to be a common occurrence, according to the web.

Anyways, the question at hand, would there be anything dangerous or hazardous to loading and using the brass in it's pinkened state?

I only ask because my oldest daughter is just starting to reload and I think she would enjoy some .38spcl in 'pink'

JeffinNZ
05-24-2013, 05:57 AM
They're for shooting in San Fransico........

762 shooter
05-24-2013, 06:48 AM
Post #47

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?83572-Citric-acid-brass-cleaner

jonp
05-24-2013, 10:36 AM
I use citric acid myself and encounter pink brass. I have read its some of the zinc coming out and can weaken the brass and shorten its life but I have not noticed a difference myself. I do not shoot max loads very often but target brass seems to last about the same number of loadings. Try leaving the brass in for a shorter time

MrWolf
05-24-2013, 05:09 PM
I had picked up about a hundred of some nasty looking 223 at the range that looked like steel - that is how bad they were. About a dozen ended up "pink" out of the lot from the citric bath. Tossed them in my scrap brass pile figuring why take a chance.

Smoke4320
05-24-2013, 05:34 PM
do not let the pink cases hit the ground .. they are liberal seeds
put them in the dark and feed them ****.. they will die a fullfilled happy life...

:) They should be just fine

DLCTEX
05-24-2013, 07:00 PM
The pink is only skin deep so to speak. If cases are corroded and not just tarnished then the brass may be weakened. Try polishing with a pot scrubber or steel wool and you will see how little the brass is affected.

jonp
05-24-2013, 08:44 PM
The pink is only skin deep so to speak. If cases are corroded and not just tarnished then the brass may be weakened. Try polishing with a pot scrubber or steel wool and you will see how little the brass is affected.
0000 Steel Wool should take it right off it it bothers you.

MtGun44
05-25-2013, 12:29 AM
Dezincification can occur with brass corrosion (tarnish) and lemishine reverses the
oxidation process. If a thin layer of brass had corroded enough to lose a bit of zinc,
it will now be richer in copper and will look pinkish. Tumbling cleans it up, not an
issue unless there are deep pits.

Bill

khmer6
05-25-2013, 02:02 AM
I accidently did that once. And had 50# of range scrap mixed in which included steel cases and copper washed steel. Lord was that a mess. Send it through the tumbler and no issues

possom813
05-27-2013, 10:18 AM
I tell you what, I can 'accidentally' make pink brass easy as pie...

I'm trying to 'on purpose' make 10pcs of .38 for the girls to shoot, and I've tried 4 different mixes and can't get it to turn pink, everything from 2 cups of water with a teaspoon of lemishine, to straight lemon juice...

It's still the brassiest brass as that brass can be...

Shiloh
05-27-2013, 10:33 AM
They're for shooting in San Fransico........

Shame on you!!! LOL:kidding:

Shiloh

khmer6
05-27-2013, 10:45 AM
I think you need to find some rally tarnished oxidized brass for it to turn pink. I can't remember right now exactly why it turns pink, but beautiful bright brand new brass won't have a tendency to turn pink.

I tell you what, I can 'accidentally' make pink brass easy as pie...

I'm trying to 'on purpose' make 10pcs of .38 for the girls to shoot, and I've tried 4 different mixes and can't get it to turn pink, everything from 2 cups of water with a teaspoon of lemishine, to straight lemon juice...

It's still the brassiest brass as that brass can be...

blackthorn
05-27-2013, 10:54 AM
For pink brass try adding a little salt to your mix.

OverMax
05-27-2013, 11:51 AM
Well that stands to reason. A kitchen cleaner that those lady's use for cleaning. "You used on that nasty brass of yours." (<hey that's reasonable) Pinkish brass color would be a delightful color for your daughter to reload there at your bench. (no reason to worry its just a harmless light tarnish.)

O/M

mdi
05-27-2013, 12:18 PM
I just made some pink brass. I was experimenting with my stainless steel hardware, lemishine, 409, and water. I was tumbling .223 and .44 magnum brass together. Well, I tumbled about a half hour and was called away from the shop and left the tumbler over night. When I got back, I tumbled for about an hour more, and rinsed the brass. As you know a .223 case slides into a .44 Mag. case perfectly. Those that were inside the mag cases came out pink, and those that got tumbled alone were brass...

Rooster931
05-27-2013, 10:46 PM
As stated above salt is the answer!!!! If salt is added I would bet the pink will follow. To get back to the top of this post unless they are really bad and have pits they will be fine.