PDA

View Full Version : new lever gun in 35 Remington

bear67
05-23-2013, 10:30 PM
Found a really clean JC Higgins M45 (336 Marlin) with nice stock, great bore and a new pentax scope--had an older Weaver K-3 with it but it is cloudy. I also got 150 factory 200 g Super Speed rounds. Found a set of 35 Lee dies and some new brass on here so I am set. I have an old single cavity Ideal mold that casts 195 g. .3585 with COWWs. Now need to find a mold at 200 t 220 g.

Really needed the dies and brass as I also acquired in the last couple weeks a Remington 8 and 14 in 35 Remington.

starmac
05-23-2013, 11:45 PM
Congrats. I doubt if you could get a better east texas piney woods/big thicket brush gun than the M14 or marlin in 35 cal.

RickinTN
05-24-2013, 08:30 AM
From my experience the Marlin will probably require a fatter bullet than the Remingtons, and if it's a micro-groove barrel a harder bullet as well. I have the NOE group buy copy of the RCBS 200 gr bullet. Mine drops at about 210 grains with wheel weight alloy and at .361" plus a touch. With a slightly softened alloy it goes 215 grains and still @ .361". I've not had opportunity to work with this bullet much but it shows promise in my micro-groove model 336. I'm sizing mine @ .360". Al may have some of this mold available on his website.
Good luck with your new rifles and enjoy,
Rick

bear67
05-24-2013, 10:15 AM
Thanks Rick
I slugged the barrel at .359 this morning. My single cavity usually drops at .3585 with
COWW, I will sweeten with harder alloy and see what happens. I have shot lead in a Marlin Texas 336 with microgrove and sized it at .311, but just used COWW with a litle extra tin in the form of solder. This will be a new project.

I have some jacketed 200 g older speers from the estate of a neighbor and good friend and will try some in the M 14.

Beau Cassidy
05-24-2013, 10:35 AM
Cool. I picked up a very nice condition Remington Model 14 .35 Remington yesterday as well. Is it bad of me that I stopped by the gun store on the way to the hospital to have our first child? Is it bad of me that I am on CB when my wife is in front of me in labor? A fella has to have his priorities!

bear67
05-24-2013, 11:07 AM
Beau
You are about to imbark on the biggest roller coaster ride in your life--enjoy every minute of it. I have grandchildren graduating high school and it seems like their parents were arriving in the hospital yesterday. Good luck and good parenting!

You might better pay a little more attention to Mom or you might be removing lead from your behind or worse. Congratulations on the baby and even on the Remington.

Clay M
05-24-2013, 11:54 AM
I have an old Rem 81 in 35. My dad though the 35 Rem was the cats pajamas for a deer rifle.My grandfather also carried an old 336 marlin 35.

OverMax
05-24-2013, 12:50 PM
I didn't know Marlin made rifles for Sears. I always thought Winchester made a few models for them. Anyhow. Does this Sears lever rifle you now have include that new cross bolt safety feature?

Beau Cassidy: Hey congratulation on that new family addition of yours.

O/M

357Mag
05-24-2013, 12:53 PM
Bear -

Howdy !

WOW... 3ea .35Rem's ! Cool beans !!

I have a M-336 XLR in .35Rem The rifle is a hoot to shoot, especially as it is ucommonly accurate.
Haven' taken a different rifle to the range, in nigh onto 3yr.

Now.... go get some more !

With regards,
357Mag

35remington
05-24-2013, 02:05 PM
Speer bullets should be either 180 grain or 220. I don't believe they made a 200 grain 35 bullet.

bear67
05-24-2013, 02:15 PM
The JC Higgins M 45 was built by Marlin for Sears until late 1960 or early 1961. Mine is a U prefex serial number so was built between Jan and Sept, 1960. It is much earlier than the cross bolt safeties of the late 336s.The story on JC Higgins is"

The brand name, J. C. Higgins, was based on a real person, John Higgins who was a Sears employee. He moved from his birth country of Ireland to the United States in his late teens and began working for Sears in 1898. He spent his entire working career with Sears and was Vice President for the company for a period of time. He was actually born with no middle name but the Sears Co. presented the idea of labeling their sporting good line with his name and saw it more presentable labeling the brand as J.C Higgins. He worked with the company until his retirement as head bookkeeper in 1930. Higgins died in 1950. His expertise in sporting goods or sports is unknown.

A couple years ago I bought a throttle governed farm engine from a much older gentleman from Canton, Texas. He went to work for SR&Co in 1925 in the head offices in Chicago. He was an accountant and worked for John Higgins. He said Mr Higgins , Controller at the time, kept examples of Sears firearm and sporting products in his office and would talk guns and hunting at the drop of a hat. My source retired from Sears and retired to God's Country--Texas.
The engine I bought was a FarmMaster sold by Sears and built by Cushman. It is a 1 3/4 hp compact engine and the guy I bought it from got it when it was going to be thrown away from a product display in the main office lobby--he got it for hauling it home. He said it resided in his apartment closet for many years. When I got it, it had been stored in a chicken house with chickens present for years. I have the engine in the shop now to get it running. It is free, but will have to pull the piston and free up the stuck rings. At most, re-ring it and new gaskets. The magneto is a Wico X and I have it cleaned up, magnet recharged and putting out a blue spark.

Clay M
05-24-2013, 02:32 PM
I think Cabela's has the brass if you need any.

RickinTN
05-24-2013, 04:13 PM
Bear,
This will take the thread a little off track but I just realized I need your help. I have a Gravely model L tractor which also has a Wico magneto, although I'm not sure the same version as yours. My dad bought the tractor new in 1964 and I've "freshened" it once. Through the years after times of sitting unused I've had problems with getting adequate spark. How do you re-charge a magnet in a magneto?
Thanks for your help,
Rick

bear67
05-24-2013, 04:22 PM
You need to re-charge/re-energize the magnet. This is done with a electric coil. We built our own homemade one. Old engine. com has instructions, but it involves winding coils--we did this on a lathe. Your best bet is to find someone locally who advertises magneto service. It is pretty common here as the oilfield still uses lots of mags on engines. If all else fails, mail it to me and I will give it a try. The Gravley, being a '64 is an L or K mag, I think and may take a special adapter. Look on the side of the mag at the data plate and see what model it is.

RickinTN
05-24-2013, 10:58 PM
Thanks for the information. In the past I've taken it off the tractor cranked it in a vice and turned it until it began to spark. I think it must have re-charged itself in this fashion? I didn't have an electric start on it until recently. Cranking it by hand isn't as easy now as I remember it used to be!;-)

fish0123
05-25-2013, 08:32 PM
My 336 looks just like it. I love that scope. I am using the RCBS 35 200 FN with good results. Congrats on a fine firearm sir.

Abert Rim
06-17-2013, 07:06 PM
I recently found a Model 45 as well, in excellent condition. Guess I had better slug that bore!

uscra112
06-18-2013, 03:32 PM
Beau
You are about to embark on the biggest roller coaster ride in your life--enjoy every minute of it. I have grandchildren graduating high school and it seems like their parents were arriving in the hospital yesterday. Good luck and good parenting!

Dittos ! And I hope you're well stocked up on sleep, Beau, cause you ain't gonna get a full night for the next year without you leave home ! [smilie=6:

Been there, done that. Grandkids are the best revenge. :-D