PDA

View Full Version : cheap rifles piss me off

Lloyd Smale
05-23-2013, 07:27 PM
went shooting today and took out a savage 111 2506 that i bought used on a wim and a 243 axis i bought for my grandaughter. I had about 10 differnt loads for each and took them home and pulled the bullets. Both guns shot just at 3/4s of a inch for 5 shots with the first ####### load i shot in them. Wish some of my 1000 dollar guns did that well. Figured it wasnt even worth the bother of shooting other loads. Thats good enough for this guy.

OBXPilgrim
05-23-2013, 07:46 PM
Yep. Just seems like "you're the man" when you finally figure out that one load or bedding forearm pressure that made that sows ear put 'em in the X ring. Then you run across one that you can do no wrong with - usually THAT rifle belongs to one of my friends.

I feel your pain.

PS Paul
05-23-2013, 07:56 PM
You know, this time in firearms history, despite all the idiocy attempted by communist-"Americans", is just about the best time ever for "out of the box" factory rifle accuracy. Inexpensive Savage rifles, Ruger Americans, Howa/Weatherbys and so on.... Small groups with minimal load development have sort of become something we are starting to take for granted. Pleases me and upsets me at the same time, same as you!
PSP

UBER7MM
05-23-2013, 08:26 PM
How about spending hours to work up a load that doesn't shoot any better than brand 'X' commercial loads. Ouch!

otter5555
05-23-2013, 09:22 PM
How about spending hours to work up a load that doesn't shoot any better than brand 'X' commercial loads. Ouch!

i always loaded to save $$. never had any problem matching "storebought" accuracy.

back when components were near nothing (early 70's) i was shooting .223 for under a nickle and using w55grsp boolits.

i shoot a LOT and would be dead broke if i had to buy ammo :)

Atonic
05-23-2013, 11:02 PM

For me, working up that load is way more fun than grabbing a box off of the store shelf.

uscra112
05-23-2013, 11:49 PM
Dittos. I bought (cheap) a used and somewhat bubba'd Stevens 200, (the el cheapo Savage with the plastic stock) off a Gunbroker listing, so I could have at least ONE bolt rifle that shoots .223 ammo. First random loads I tried were inside an inch at 80 yards. It's so boringly accurate that I will use it later in the summer for a comparison study of modern j-warts vs. the old Sisk bullets that were the creme-de-la-creme in the '40s and '50s.

Artful
05-30-2013, 12:01 AM
Well you could have much worse problems with your cheap rifles.

Bzcraig
05-30-2013, 12:50 AM
Lloyd.....I'm thinking maybe anger management may be in order! :kidding:

Jack Stanley
05-30-2013, 08:58 AM
Lloyd.....I'm thinking maybe anger management may be in order! :kidding:

Yep !! perhaps something in the Barrett lineup of firearms would help him . Or perhaps a nice new bolt rifle based on a twenty M/M case necked down to fifty caliber . Those would help him reach across those fields he hunts .

Jack

375RUGER
05-30-2013, 02:51 PM
For me, working up that load is way more fun than grabbing a box off of the store shelf.

+1 and I'm not done till my load matches or bests that factory load. Even then I'm not done unless I'm satisfied that I don't need it to shoot any better.

Hardcast416taylor
05-30-2013, 03:27 PM
Lloyd, As my brother, who had a general store, would say "Those are "inexpensive" NOT cheap"!Robert

drsfmd
05-30-2013, 03:39 PM
I've not shot a 111, but I've got a few friends with Axis', and they are BEYOND happy with the accuracy. They don't have the accutrigger, and the trigger pull is a little heavier than most would like, but there's no creep. All for a little over $300... hard to beat.

Lloyd Smale
05-31-2013, 06:02 AM
thats the only problem with this 111. It has a terrible trigger. I almost hate to invest a 120 bucks in a timney for it being its so homely but it probably shoots well enough to justify it. It will probably go to the youngest grandson and bottome line is without one he will never be able to shoot it well.

Tazman1602
06-01-2013, 06:56 AM
I feel your pain Llyod. Last fall a friend wanted to get rid of a Savage-Stevens model 200 in .223 and daughter needed a gun. So I bought it for her thinking well for $250 I can develop a load for it and she can shoot, it's an el-cheapo bolt gun.

Her first group of just average surplus .223 I had laying around was freaking 3/4" and that gun will shoot that way with about whatever she puts in it.

I've got rifles I've got $2K in that don't shoot that well..............ARRRRGGGHHHHH!

Art

Hardcast416taylor
06-01-2013, 10:12 AM
Years ago I bought a Savage 112 varmit combo (scope and rifle) .223 for about $225. It had a trigger like dragging a cement block across a gravel road! I contacted Timney about a different tigger. The gal I talked to told me they were planning on making a after market trigger for the Savage rifles. I put my name on the list. I finally got trigger #1 from them for $85. I have set it for 2# and it shoots like a dream with about any 50 or 55 gr. "J" bullet.Robert

GT27
06-01-2013, 10:47 AM
[smilie=b:Ballistic Nirvana!

felix
06-01-2013, 12:19 PM
In my most humble opinion, folks prefer to spend their hard earned cash on looks as the primary qualification for a gun purchase! How accurate it is, is purely secondary! So, I can easily see a good looker being bought for 2K. ... felix

Bzcraig
06-01-2013, 05:23 PM
Excellent thread for a tight screw like me...I feel so validated!

kens
06-01-2013, 09:48 PM
I am an admitted fan to the military mausers. Several of my friends have the Remchesters with vari-x scopes, stock doodads, and ecteria. We liked to hang 2litre soda bottles of water out at 265 yards. I would watch them get their scopes dialed in with elevation and ballistic rules, blah, blah, blah.
About the time they were ready to go, I would blow it to smithereens with a 7x57, just so they could see it good in their 'dialed in' scope.
Everybody has seen one, a 7mm with a 29" barrel, and a sight radius longer than the other guys whole barrel.
That gun cost me $169 compared to their $1k.
The fun cannot be measured to steal a water jug from the scoped Remchester crowd.

bearcove
06-02-2013, 12:12 AM
Savage should go out of business with that kinda ****!

leeggen
06-02-2013, 12:27 AM
Kens that is plumb cold hearted to embarass them people like that. loyds bet hust about no sum of money could buy that rifle now, huh?
CD

Lloyd Smale
06-02-2013, 06:54 AM
hard to argue with that felix but im still one that loves a nice looking gun with nice figured walnut or a beautiful custom six gun. I get enjoyment just handling them. Dont get much of that with a savage

In my most humble opinion, folks prefer to spend their hard earned cash on looks as the primary qualification for a gun purchase! How accurate it is, is purely secondary! So, I can easily see a good looker being bought for 2K. ... felix

quilbilly
06-02-2013, 12:54 PM
Last week I was shopping around for a short length-of-pull rifle for my wife and visited a Cabelas. They had a closeout on a Lady Savage that had the most beautifully figured piece of walnut for a stock I have seen in years that wasn't exhibition grade. Accidents can happen.