PDA

View Full Version : Do I have Mono or Lino

leadladen
05-23-2013, 09:18 AM
I have these machine cut lead pieces approx. 3/4X3/4X6 inches. I was told about 15 years ago that they were lino, but what I have read on this site indicates that they are Mono. There were several thin pieces with these that had lettering on one edge. Those I melted and mixed with wheel weights. It is plain to se that I am never going to use this stuff, and there are folks that love it. I am going to put it on the market, but don't know whether to advertise it as lonotype of monotype. Any input would be greatly appreciated71339

Defcon-One
05-23-2013, 07:39 PM
I wish I could say for sure. Any marking at all?

It could be Lino or Mono spacers, but they are usually hollow cored when that size. Could be shims of some Babbit material. Could be something else.....?

I know my lead and print metals, but you have given me nothing to work with. The other thin strips you described were most likely Linotype. That may be your only clue.

Maybe use a good thermometer:

Monotype melts at 512 degr. F
LinoType melts at 462 degr. F

imashooter2
05-23-2013, 10:00 PM
What you have is unknown composition machined lead alloy bars that someone told you was lino 15 years ago. The stuff in thin strips with lettering on the edge... that was lino with reasonable assurance. This stuff is just a guess, even if you check hardness and melt point.

leadladen
05-24-2013, 07:16 AM
What you have is unknown composition machined lead alloy bars that someone told you was lino 15 years ago. The stuff in thin strips with lettering on the edge... that was lino with reasonable assurance. This stuff is just a guess, even if you check hardness and melt point.

I figured it was all the same stuff when I got it. It was all in a wooden box and all together. The metallic appearance of the metal all looked the same, the machining marks all looked the same, the thin strips just had the little letters on the edge. I melted the small pieces first as they were easier to mix in with the pure lead that I had. I bought all of the reloading/casting supplies from a fella whose father had passed away. He worked at the local newspape many years ago and that is where the guy figured the metal came from. That is why we assumed it was linotype.

imashooter2
05-24-2013, 07:27 AM
It may well be linotype. You just can't prove it without chemical analysis. This is why most folks here won't buy type metal unless it is in its original letter form. Even in letter form, you can't be certain, but there is a strong probability you are getting what you are paying for.

Airman Basic
05-24-2013, 09:24 AM
From my newsprint days in the 70s, those look like what they used in the small type metal reservoirs of the Linotype machines to top up the supply while putting out the day's paper. Would be my bet anyway.

detox
05-24-2013, 08:30 PM
Have you tried the pencil test?
http://texas-mac.com/Evaluations_and_Recommendations_for_Lead-Alloy_Hardness_Testers.html
H 20-22 Linotype
2H 26-28 Monotype

leadladen
05-28-2013, 04:45 PM
the small pieces that I melted look exactly like the one Defcon one show in his previous thread71830 I presumed that they were cut from the blocks I showed in my original thread

Defcon-One
05-28-2013, 07:35 PM
No, they are Linotype and are cast that way on a Linotype machine. They have lines of type down the top edge. They were not cut, but cast!

leadladen
05-28-2013, 09:28 PM
No, they are Linotype and are cast that way on a Linotype machine. They have lines of type down the top edge. They were not cut, but cast!

so I guess I'm wrong to assume that they are the same metal as the bars that I recieved with them