PDA

View Full Version : Unique in the .44 Magnum

Jack Stanley
05-23-2013, 09:16 AM
Another thread reminded me of some range time I spent recently with forty-plus year old Marlin carbine and my model twenty-nine Smith and wessons .

The load was Cases by W-W , primers WLP , bullets were Remington two hundred forty grain jacketed soft points and nine point five grains of Unique . In the carbine the loads chronographed averaging 1197 feet per second and the extreme spread was less than twenty feet per second . I didn't take any special pains as to which way the powder was positioned just levered another round from the magazine .

The revolvers though was a different story and was getting two different groups of velocities . With the powder forward velocities were in a area of 980 feet per second , with the powder to the rear it was 1040 feet per second . When I was just running the gun like I did the lever gun I was getting these spreads all in the same string of recorded shots . It made me start thinking that the longer barrel of the carbine allowed the powder to burn more consistant because of the longer resistance time the barrel gave . I don't know that for a fact so just call it a theory if ya want .

Perhaps a different powder in the same range would work a little better but I have the Unique to use for now . Perhaps more of a crimp would help the handguns with the velocity spread , it would be nice to see a spread of thirty feet per second . Since my eyes are so bad with the handguns sights perhaps it doesn't matter , it's not like I'm taking long shots anyway . I can't help but think that maybe if the extreme spread was less the accuracy would be a little better . My bad eyes can direct the four inch gun to nines or better from the bench with the target and thirty yards .

I can't be the only one that has seen stuff like this I bet ..................

Jack

Larry Gibson
05-23-2013, 01:34 PM
lowering, raising and then cocking a revolver all position the powder differently. Then cocking after shooting one round furthe positions the powder differently in those loads. With the rifle the powder is positioned relatively consitent by the chambering action for each shot. Also the rifle does not have the long throat and barrel/cylinder gap.

You might bump the load up to 10 or 10.5 gr Unique.

Larry Gibson

Scharfschuetze
05-23-2013, 02:17 PM
Several years ago I ran some tests with Unique and Olin 231 in the 45 Colt cartridge to see which powder would be the most consistent in that voluminous case for mid level loads. The test involved 10 shot strings with one string using powder positioned to the front of the case and the second string with the powder positioned to the rear. While I expected there to be a difference in velocities, the extreme velocity difference between the strings was surprising. With Unique and Olin's 231, the difference between the two fore and aft strings was up to almost 300 fps. The SD for each string was small, so by positioning the powder prior to firing, you can ensure consistent velocity with a partially filled large case using the faster powders.

General data for the loads in an Uberti 7 1/2" SAA in 45 Colt:

Projectile: 230 grain cast PB RN
Cases: WW all trimmed to same length for a consistent crimp
Primers: CCI 300

Powder: 7.6 grains Olin 231

Powder to the rear: 890fps, SD 15
Powder to the front: 700fps, SD 13

8.0 grains of Unique Powder.

Powder to the rear: 912fps, SD 17
Powder to the front: 597fps, SD 10

I might add that the powder forward strings produced a lot of powder residue as they were not burning at the same intensity or pressure as the powder to the rear strings.

For the best accuracy, it's a compilation of the "little things" that result in 10s and Xs. A slight flip of the muzzle up may help in getting a handle on those velocity spreads.

BCRider
05-24-2013, 11:59 PM
For loads where accuracy is important it sounds like it might be worth using a bit of filler to hold the powder in position. That way regardless of how the gun is held or the rounds loaded the powder will always be in the same place.

Shuz
05-25-2013, 09:37 AM
Perhaps one reason many of us get such nice tight groups with the .44 mag when using 2400, is due to the fact that 18 to 21g nearly fills the case.

missionary5155
05-25-2013, 10:21 AM
Good morning
I use Unique in my caliber .41 Mag Marlin, the 1892 44WCF's and Rossi caliber. 45 Colt I have with good results. In each caliber I use a fingernail sized tuff of dacron. It holds the powder to the base. The caliber .44WCF boolit is a 220 grain saeco 443 and shoots well in the 3 1892's it gets used in. 8 grains is a very accurate load and 10 grains a real thumper from a 20 inch barrel.
The caliber .41 mag I load the same. 8 - 10 grains with 220-260 grainers. Same for the caliber .45 Colt but with 250 - 280 grainers.
For more power or a less base pressure load for a softer boolit I also use 2400 which I agree is a real winner in these cartriges.
Mike in Peru

atr
05-25-2013, 10:30 AM
Im with Larry,,,,,10 gr of Unique seems to work very well with 240 gr slugs in both my Ruger and Interarms
atr

Jack Stanley
05-25-2013, 11:25 PM
I may yet try ten grains of Unique but I think it will start looking more like the magnum power level . It might surprise me though and be accurate no matter which way it's pointed and not recoil real bad . The carbine ?? well , as long as it is reasonably accurate and safe I'll be fine with it's recoil .

Jack