PDA

View Full Version : New bore in an old 03

FLINTNFIRE
05-23-2013, 12:20 AM
Dropped off a Remington 1903 , barrel date of 10-42 at J E S Rifle Reboring , and went on down to coos bay spent the night and picked it back up today , now a 375-06 3 groove rifling .
If you have a rifle in need of a new bore , I highly recommend you check him out, now I look forward to shooting both of the rifles he has rebored for me .
Also a thanks to the site and some of the members here for a discussion in a thread which brought him to my attention.

Scharfschuetze
05-23-2013, 02:13 AM
I see that you are also a Washingtonian. Where is JES Rifle Reboring located at? I've got an old Marlin 1893 rifle that I'd like to set the barrel back a thread and bore it out to either 32 Special or 35/30.

FLINTNFIRE
05-23-2013, 11:37 AM
He is located in cottage grove , oregon http://www.35caliber.com/index.html

pietro
05-23-2013, 01:21 PM

Why did you opt for a wildcat instead of a rebore to .358" (.35 Whelan) ?

Multigunner
05-23-2013, 02:13 PM
I wonder how well an 03A3 would handle conversion to one of the .300 Magnums, whichever best suits the feed system.

I'm thinking along the lines of a Springfield based sniper rifle outwardly identical to the 03A4, with type C stock, but in the more powerful long range caliber already proven in combat and in long range target shooting when used in other rifles.
I'm sure it would kick like Bruce Lee on crack, but a lace on recoil pad and cheek piece would take care of that. Perhaps some added lead inserts in butt and fore end would help as well, for balance and stability.

Action from bubba'ed sporter, new manufacture high quality barrel, and reproduction wood. Modern scope with range cam and other goodies.

Scharfschuetze
05-23-2013, 03:08 PM
Multigunner,

I once bought an 03A3 barrel to rejuvenate an otherwise nice Remington 03A3. Imagine my surprise when I ejected the first case and it was a fire formed 30 Gibs! Long story short, I returned the barrel and put an unmodified 30/06 barrel on the rifle.

That said, you might consider one of the improved 30/06 designs as that would be a great deal cheaper than modifying the action for the larger diameter case of a 300 magnum. You could also return what is now becoming a sought after collector's rifle to original status by just rebarreling should you ever want to do so.

While it might not be a 300 magnum in improved form, it wouldn't be far from it.

Flintfire,

Thanks for the link.

FLINTNFIRE
05-23-2013, 11:55 PM
I chose the 375 whelan or 375-06 whichever one wants to call is as the old rifle had got rust in the bore before it was passed on to me , and I have always wanted a 375 bore , also had a old 30-06 redone in 338-06 just before this one .
Am thinking of a 35 whelan also , if I find a donor rifle cheap enough , as to the building 300 mags and up on the 03 and p-14/p17 an old friend of mine had several done on those back before you could get the factory ones .
You are welcome Scharfschuetzer, as to the link this site is where I found it and am thankful for it.