PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a .50AE Mould

Lonely Raven
05-22-2013, 02:25 PM
Well, the powder coating threads have me testing PC .45 HP bullets and soon I'll be testing some 200gr spire point .311 for .300 BLK (both moulds from NOE).

So far the .45 HP powder coated have worked wonderfully in three different pistols. 2" groups at 15 paces makes me happy!

So now I'm wanting to start casting and powder coating for my Desert Eagle. I haven't seriously looked into casting for DE because the whole gas port issue that particular pistol has - but I'm now feeling that Powder Coating gets me around that issue, and I'm wanting to seriously start casting some .501(?) Hollow Point projectiles.

Can anyone suggest a mould that would work in this application? Thanks!

Lonely Raven
06-30-2014, 12:35 PM
Well, the powder coating threads have me testing PC .45 HP bullets and soon I'll be testing some 200gr spire point .311 for .300 BLK (both moulds from NOE).

So far the .45 HP powder coated have worked wonderfully in three different pistols. 2" groups at 15 paces makes me happy!

So now I'm wanting to start casting and powder coating for my Desert Eagle. I haven't seriously looked into casting for DE because the whole gas port issue that particular pistol has - but I'm now feeling that Powder Coating gets me around that issue, and I'm wanting to seriously start casting some .501(?) Hollow Point projectiles.

Can anyone suggest a mould that would work in this application? Thanks!

It's funny, I'm still looking for a mould, and I did a search to see what other people have said, and the top search result, was me asking this question a year ago.

Any suggestions?

texassako
06-30-2014, 02:19 PM
I don't know anything about the caliber, but Accurate Molds lists the 50-350E for the .50 AE. Or have him cut one to what you want?

Bullwolf
07-01-2014, 01:22 AM
I don't know anything about the caliber, but Accurate Molds lists the 50-350E for the .50 AE. Or have him cut one to what you want?

I have thought about getting that Accurate mould myself for 50AE. It would be pretty hard to go wrong with the Accurate 50-350E assuming a 350 grain ish boolit is around the weight you're looking for.

http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=50-350E-D.png

http://www.accuratemolds.com/lib/timthumb.php?src=/img/bullets/catalogue/50-350E.png&w=114&h=0&zc=0

Another option might be the RCBS 50-340-SWC for 50 Action Express.
Midway usually has it in stock - single cavity only though.

http://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/440x330/Primary/246/246337.jpg

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/246337/rcbs-1-cavity-bullet-mold-50-340-swc-50-action-express-500-diameter-340-grain-semi-wadcutter

The RCBS mould may cast on the small side. It is advertised to cast at .500

I would be more confident getting the Accurate mould as it would definitely cast to the size that I wanted. I would be looking for at least a .501, or larger sized boolit for 50AE. I would strongly consider looking for it in a GC (Gas Check) design as well for full power loads, or else plan to use some type of PB check (Plain Base) with it.

Back in 2011, I briefly messed around with loading 50AE for my older AMT Automag V pistol. The Automag V is completely recoil operated though, and has no gas port unlike the Desert Eagles.

You can read about it if you like here.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?117958-Reloading-the-50-Action-Express

I went in a somewhat opposite direction as I was looking for a very lightweight plinking load for the old Automag, that would not damage the gun since it is no longer being made.

I used both plated 300 grain JFP's, and some pre-cast 325 grain GC hunters supply boolits that were .501 diameter. All of my loads were on the light side, and subsonic. After I achieved my goal of working up a plinking load that would reliably cycle the pistol, I did not pursue it farther. I chose not to order a mould just for this one gun and caliber.

From similar experiences shooting friends Desert Eagles chambered in both 44 Magnum and 50 AE, and my own .357 Magnum DE pistol, I had noticed the guns would only cycle reliably with close to full house loads, and often best results were obtained using powders like H110/W296 with very stout charges.

Most DE shooters tend to avoid cast boolits. Not saying that they can't shoot cast, just that they tend to get shot a lot more with jacketed bullets likely due to all the warnings in the manual not to shoot cast in them for fear of blocking the gas port. There are reports out there of folks who have successfully used cast boolits in their Desert Eagle pistols.

The gas port on the Desert Eagle pistol is located just in front of the case mouth and runs the length of the barrel to the gas piston. It can be cleaned by soaking the barrel in a lead solvent and squirting solvent though the tube. It's not easy at all to clean mechanically, but as long as you are careful that shouldn't be necessary. If the pistol cycles at all, then the tube is not completely clogged.

- Bullwolf