PDA

View Full Version : Home made molding handles????

taco650
05-22-2013, 10:52 AM
I know some of you have done this so show me what you did and give any advice you might have. I like making my own stuff and am also CHEAP! (why else would I cast my own boolits?). Thanks!

blikseme300
05-22-2013, 11:41 AM
Unless you have lots of time on your hands and free materials then I fail to see how you can make mold handles cheaper than the ones Lee sells. I am a cheap sob but I do draw the line here.

taco650
05-22-2013, 12:52 PM
Unless you have lots of time on your hands and free materials then I fail to see how you can make mold handles cheaper than the ones Lee sells. I am a cheap sob but I do draw the line here.

I understand your perspective but also note that supplies of casting/reloading equipment have been in very short supply for some time and it still hard to get stuff.

jcwit
05-22-2013, 01:09 PM
I've done this a number of times. What I've used was new hickery handles I got at our local fles market from the tool handal guy. I have my own lathe and hickery holds up better than the OEM ones.

btroj
05-22-2013, 03:33 PM
Define "handles".

If speaking of just the wood portion then almost anything could be used. Wouldn't be difficult at all of you have a lathe.

If you mean the entire handles, metal portion with pivot and all, then I would say buy them. It would be difficult to make then even close to as cheap as you can buy them.

taco650
05-22-2013, 04:59 PM
I'm talking about the entire unit.

btroj
05-22-2013, 05:32 PM
That will take some bending. I don't know if it can be done easily unless you have some good tooling and know how.
me? I buy mine. Just for some from KAL and they are awesome handles.

Mike Kerr
06-05-2013, 12:44 AM
I buy mine. Just for some from KAL and they are awesome handles.

That is good to know. I am going to google KAL

Jer-Bear
06-06-2013, 09:41 PM
Haven't made any but saw a photo a few days ago where someone's father made him some using the slip joint pliers. Added wooden handles and welded on a couple of pieces of flat metal to fit in the slot on the blocks.

retread
06-06-2013, 09:50 PM
Small items like handles end up casting more than the price of factory. And that does not include any time. Spend your time and money on things that are not available or too expensive to buy.

chambers
06-06-2013, 10:52 PM
Well I did make some entire unit handles about four different flavors, the four gang nut cracker style the one, two, and four mold RCBS style. I cut out by machine plasma the sides, made a press brake jig and offset the handles, drilled the handles with bullet mold in place for correct centers and pin locations, bought some Oak and Walnut 7/8" round stock, lathed the holes and added a band to keep handle from splitting, assembled, stained and varnished. Great winter project and for me worked didn't take long. Work great for Lyman, RCBS, and others. Should really add a picture, but made about 25 of each style so for me was worth my time.

bangerjim
06-06-2013, 11:46 PM
I have seen handles made from a pair of standard slip-joint pliers with extensions of appropriate dimensions and "holeage" welded on. And turned hardwood handles slipped on.

A lot-o-work for a $13 item. And why do you need more than one set of handles? I cast one cal at at time and just change them out when I switch molds.

bangerjim :lol: