PDA

View Full Version : Need 44 magnum help

senjurio
05-21-2013, 09:28 PM
Hi guys, not my first time on the forums, but my first post. Been loading 45 acp and plenty of different rifle cartridges for a few years, but just got a raging bull 8 3/8 44 mag. Haven't found a load to fit what I have available to me...

What I have:
Lee cast 310gr GC'd
Lil' Gun
Federal magnum pistol primers

The best I could come up with is 19.0 grains of Lil' Gun seated long... Does this seem like a safe starting place?

And these supplies are all i have available to me, and all im likely to get any time soon. I am also trying to create a load that I could theoretically drop a bear with if i had to, so heavy hitting hard recoil load is fine with me... i can develop a lighter load when i run out of factory ammo.

Thanks in advance for any help!

300winmag
05-21-2013, 09:56 PM
http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

senjurio
05-21-2013, 10:43 PM
http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

That would be much more useful if they had a load for the C430-310-RF, and had already checked the hodgdon website... I have done quite a bit of searching.

leftiye
05-22-2013, 04:30 AM
Your load sounds good to me, though I might start at 18 grs. Lil Gun sometimes burns HOT so look out for your gun heating up excessively. It could erode your barrel. It's not supposed to do this in the 44 mag. (IIRC), just a warning. With that boolit, AA 300 MP might work mo bettah. 300 grain data should be okay with a 310 grainer, though LOA is important in controlling pressure, and data for the exact boolit is always betterer.

kevmc
05-23-2013, 07:23 PM
That would be much more useful if they had a load for the C430-310-RF, and had already checked the hodgdon website... I have done quite a bit of searching.

Slow down a mite there.........each post was an attempt to help answer a question you asked!!
If you don't find it helpful, at least appreciate the effort to help..

rlb
05-23-2013, 08:13 PM
Here's a little bit of info.

http://handloads.com/loaddata/default.asp?Caliber=44%20Magnum&Weight=310&type=Handgun&Order=Powder&Source=

daniel lawecki
05-23-2013, 08:42 PM
Your starting load is 1gr under max i would check your data first. Read your manual

Thumbcocker
05-23-2013, 09:00 PM
Check some of .44 Man's posts. He is right partial to that boolit.

Pirate69
05-25-2013, 07:03 AM
Recognizing that you may not have H110, I am having good results with that powder and the 310 grainer. Shooting 20.5 grains in a Marlin 1894. Primers show no pressure marks. +1 on checking 44Man's posts. If he chimes in, don't be surprised if he recommends a standard pistol primer rather than a mag. primer. That was my latest "knowledge gain" from him. He has a lot of experience.

starnbar
05-25-2013, 08:03 AM
Alliant makes power pro 300 mp it works good in heavy loads I am not gonna give you my load I use in the marlin but you can get really decent velocities if you are looking for that that powder it has come up a few times in the past month so you should be able to purchase that one if you are interested. I use it behind a speer 270gr sp and it is pretty stout.

senjurio
05-25-2013, 11:21 AM
Thanks for all the replies, I wasn't trying to come off as an *******, although rereading that I kind of did kevmc. I literally cannot find large pistol primers in my area, but have about 4k magnum pistol primers... it is what it is i guess. Powder is equally evasive. I loaded some at 18.0, 18.5, and 19.0 (lil' gun, fed mag pistol primer, seated long) and I'm going to head to the range here in a few. I'll let you all know how it goes!

senjurio
05-26-2013, 10:02 PM
19.0 shot very well and didn't even get the gun very warm. 19.0 packs a wallop though, made my hands numb after 6 shots, no pressure signs. Have a chrono in the mail... so we will see where I get for velocity when it gets here. Only problem I had was with seating them long... the cylinders were about 1/16th off from accepting the whole bullet, had to lightly tap them down. Either going to polish the cylinders out with a dremel or seat them a little shorter.

Indybear
06-05-2013, 07:24 AM
The "standard" load for this excellent boolit seems to be 21.5 of 110/296 with CCI 350 or WLP. My SRH shoots this load like a carbine rifle and it sure slams piggy.... Your Raging Bull should handle this load fine with room to spare but I sure would not run them in an older S&W 29 and lesser Taurus models.

jonp
06-06-2013, 06:21 PM
I've read on a couple of other posts here as well as on other forums that lil gun is very hot. It would make me apprehensive to try that with any volume of loading.

gray wolf
06-10-2013, 11:32 AM
Please don't use one of those hand operated tools that turn a small grinding wheel with no control from the user. AKA Dremel tool.

XXXXXXXXXXXXEither going to polish the cylinders out with a dremelXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX