PDA

View Full Version : Cheapest place to get .45 colt/ruger "Hornady" gas checks ?

Changeling
05-21-2013, 03:58 PM
I guess the post says it all. I'm designing a .45 caliber mold and need Hornady gas checks.

Alan in Vermont
05-21-2013, 04:05 PM
Right now I think it would be more a matter of who has them than what they cost. IMO, gas checks are ridiculously expensive for what they are as far as materials and time involved in making them.

Whiterabbit
05-21-2013, 04:15 PM
Member here Blammer has em.

Changeling
05-21-2013, 04:40 PM
Right now I think it would be more a matter of who has them than what they cost. IMO, gas checks are ridiculously expensive for what they are as far as materials and time involved in making them.

I couldn't agree with you more Alan. After the post I went and started pricing them (I didn't know), totally outrageous!
I don't know when or if this stupidity will end, but one thing I will gurantee you is I won't forget the companies that have "screwed the very people" that have made them !!
They used to talk about what a friend to the shooter they were (Hornady, Speer, Etc,), but as soon as they had the chance to captalize they have taken advantage of every option available to them to totally screw the very people that made them!

These are not the people I want to deal with ever again in my lifetime. I sure hope others start thinking long and seriously about these *** holes!!

If you STOP buying from them, they will fold up, and go away. There are plenty of people out there who would really appreciate the option of of a good business, rather than screwing there friends and the people who mad them!

starmac
05-21-2013, 04:43 PM
Is there an advantage to using hornada gas checks over those made by several of our members?

Is there any advantage of copper checks over aluminum?

white eagle
05-21-2013, 04:52 PM
I use a great deal of them for my high performance loads
that is why you pay more for premium ammo

starmac
05-21-2013, 05:17 PM
So hornady checks are better (performance wise) than homegrown ones.

Are they better for accuracy, or is it that you can more velocity without leading problems.

These might sound stupid, but I am trying to learn here. For hunting rounds is there a performance reason to spend the extra money.

smokeywolf
05-21-2013, 05:49 PM
starmac,
I actually started a thread some months ago asking the question of accuracy differences between aluminum and copper gas checks. Aluminum seems to be used almost exclusively for homemade checks. The most often cited difference seemed to be that accuracy begins to drop off at higher velocities with aluminum checks.

Hornady checks are supposed to have a ridge in the ID that helps them lock onto the base of the bullet. I've never actually inspected one and never compared performance against other copper checks but that's what I've read.

smokeywolf

Shooternz
05-21-2013, 05:49 PM
I use both Hornady and the ones from Blammer performance wise can't tell the difference, I don't bother with gas checks for pistol loads, I don't think they go fast enough to need them, use good lube
should be good enough.

starmac
05-21-2013, 06:12 PM
I am just trying to understanding the reasoning here.

Is it possible that the load needed for the higher velocities are burning up the aluminum checks?

smokeywolf
05-21-2013, 07:25 PM
Aluminum and copper have similar heat handling characteristics. Don't remember where I read it, but copper is said to absorb heat faster than aluminum, but aluminum transfers heat faster than copper. This is why heat sinks and cookware are frequently copper plated.
I don't see why there might be a difference with regard to thermal characteristics and performance of checks, unless the friction coefficient of aluminum changes as a result of it's temperature increasing.

smokeywolf

DLCTEX
05-22-2013, 06:56 PM
Many members use aluminum gas checks with good results. As in copper checks, it depends on the skill of the maker. The Gator checks are a good quality and rated as good as Hornady checks by many members. I haven't personally used them yet, but would have no hesitation. The price is better also.

josper
05-22-2013, 09:09 PM
For myself I like the gator checks best. They seem to crimp on better than the hornadys and they are cheaper. I use them on my 45-70 loads. as for my .45colt I don't need them because I stay close to 1000 fps for my use which is primarily target shooting. Some people swear by the Aluminum checks I prefer to stay with what is proven. I'm not knocking Alum. checks, if your a fan of them go for it.

9.3X62AL
05-23-2013, 11:10 AM
I only use gas checks with handgun ammo that runs above 1200 FPS. That is about 5% of my handgun shooting volume.

About 90% of my rifle loads use gas checks, though.

jlchucker
05-24-2013, 09:56 AM
The only difference that I can see between Hornady gas checks and the ones Blammer sells is that when I order them from Blammer, I have 5 or 10 dollars left over. I don't use thousands upon thousands of gaschecks but for my levergun calibers I don't see any difference in performance between the two brands.

Changeling
05-24-2013, 05:57 PM
I just asked a simple question guys, don't start pissing on the messanger! If you like alluminum checks "Fine", I don't care!
I was interested in answers to my question, thats all.

Thanks to all that responded to the question.