PDA

View Full Version : Cast Boolits in My "Colt Gov. 380acp," what sizes?

sparkz
05-21-2013, 03:26 PM
Hello guys and Gals
I have a Pocket Poper, Colt Goverment 380acp
(Loud little sucker too)
anyways we have collected to date
bunch of 1x Shells
Small Primers
we have x-700 and some Hp-38

but No Boolits, I am thinking like 90-95Gn might be just what we could use with out issues *But I have never loaded for this gun
so what are you all Loading your Pocket poppers with? Do you have a Colt 380acp? its like the Mustang,, or think theirs a feather-lite too,

I dont have any mold for this gun so
anyone want to sell a pound of boolits?
so we can test-Drive this gun with castboolits?
so we dont buy a Dog of a Mold,,

I can trade boolits by the Pound too,
we have some 44mag in 200gn & 240gn SWC (both LEE tumble lube type)
we have some .45acp 200Gn SWC and think we have a 230Gn RN
and lastly we have some 38/357 ~158Gn Soup Cans also LEE TL Type,

as molds are not in front of me
If you need more info like Mold Numbers of Boolits we have just ask and il check,

or maybe I have some others
as we did just get a 30cal rifle mold, but not made any as of yet, (Il look if these trip-ur-trigger)

Please Give any Advise you may have in loading for this size and this gun,
and on whats working for you, posb useing the powders we have on hand..

TIA for any advice you may give

Patrick Campbell
Lost Creek, Kentucky

dragonrider
05-21-2013, 05:29 PM
As always the first thing to do is slug your barrel. Determine the diameter and prepare to size accordingly, .001-.002" bigger. I use a Mihec mold that ends up at 99.5 grains when sized and lubed. I size to .358" and use Red Dot so I can't help with the powders you have.

EMC45
05-21-2013, 06:16 PM
I like the Lee 111gr. RN for the .380. I also have used the Lee 120gr. TC as well. I shoot them from a KelTec P3AT and an Astra Constable. I do not own a Colt Mustang. I size both bullets to .356 for both guns with great results.

sparkz
05-21-2013, 08:36 PM
Thanks guys,, In do plan on squzeing a slug thu it, and I have a Lyman 45 to size with, but good to know what works too as far as boolit shaps and sizes,, most autos dont like everything, and wanted to watch for OAL and clips, ramps and breach,, so as to avoid hang ups

Thanks guys

jlchucker
05-22-2013, 08:41 AM
Sparkz, I'm glad you asked this question. I've got one of those little Colts--bought it new, along with a set of Lee dies. I never did shoot it much, or load anything for it though. I've been thinking about it lately, and look forward to hearing what the guys end up saying with respect to loading boolits for this particular gun. How do you plan on finding those little ejected cases all over the ground so that you can reload them?

gmsharps
05-22-2013, 08:57 AM
Depending on the range you go to get you one of those cheap 5x7 or 8x10 tarps and lay it on the ground and that should capture most of the brass.

sparkz
05-22-2013, 12:34 PM
Sparkz, I'm glad you asked this question. I've got one of those little Colts--bought it new, along with a set of Lee dies. I never did shoot it much, or load anything for it though. I've been thinking about it lately, and look forward to hearing what the guys end up saying with respect to loading boolits for this particular gun. How do you plan on finding those little ejected cases all over the ground so that you can reload them?

I have a 14 year old son with GREAT EYES!!, if its just me looking I am sure we are looking at 60% loss on 45acp & 380, 7,62x39, but we have found if you set up well you can find most with cardboard or tarp, and keeps them clean, we shoot here at the house so they are all out there someplace haha, one guy on S&S fourms sold them cheapley tho for back-ups

Patrick

Rick Hodges
05-22-2013, 12:40 PM
I use the NEO 358 92gr. RN sized to .356 and 45-45-10 lubed to load .380 for an old OMC Backup and my brothers Taurus 738 TCP (?). Those bullets fall from the mold at 93-94 gr. with my alloy. With 3.1 gr. of 231 they shoot to the same point of aim as factory fmj. Accurate at 20 yds. functions reliably in both handguns and a lot of fun to shoot. Note: even with a large tarp we manage to loose way too many cases.

NoZombies
05-22-2013, 12:49 PM
For the .380 I expect about 10% brass loss through normal shooting. Sometimes I do a little better, sometimes a little worse, but 10% is about average.

I don't have the colt govt. model, but I do have the Sig P238 which is very similar in design and function. I've used the Lee 102 grain RN (drops from my mold at about 105 gn) and their 110 grain RN. Both bullets shoot fine, with the 102 being closer to the sights at 15 yards (over mid range book loads of TG). I have to size mine to .356, as the throat in my gun is tight. Since my bore is .354 it's not a problem in my gun, but when I tried sizing the bullets to .358, I couldn't chamber a round!

I use a dillon taper crimp die in the fifth station, after seating without crimping in the fourth. The arrangement works well, and my little sig LOVES lead bullets. It's far more accurate with them than it is with any of the factory jacketed fodder, as well as being better than with my hand loaded jacketed stuff.

Good luck, and have fun!

9.3X62AL
05-23-2013, 11:22 AM
Been a long time, but I reloaded for a Colt Government 380 in the past. It was lead-friendly in the extreme, and fed hollow-points reliably. I followed book recommendations on load data, and was able to load the rounds to "full power". Unlike most 380 ACPs, the Colt GM is recoil-operated, and can digest full-tilt 380 loadings with aplomb. I can't recall its throat or groove diameter, though.