PDA

View Full Version : Lee loader

vmathias
05-21-2013, 03:12 AM
Can these be used to reload cast bullets? and does anyone use of of these simple kits solely for all their reloading?

Randy C
05-21-2013, 04:38 AM
I think all the LEE 's can reload cast bullets we use the little hand loaders all the time. you need to have the right dies to expand the mouth on the brass.

vmathias
05-21-2013, 04:49 AM
I think all the LEE 's can reload cast bullets we use the little hand loaders all the time. you need to have the right dies to expand the mouth on the brass.

Your talking about flaring the mouth to accept the cast boolit correct? So u would recommend this re loader? They say not to use any other brass but what you have shot in your rifle because it only sizes the neck. Is this correct?

DLCTEX
05-21-2013, 08:20 AM
That is correct, or brass that you test individually in your rifle's chamber to be sure the bolt will close easily. The varibles from gun to gun can keep you from closing the bolt on brass that has been fired in another gun,

DLCTEX
05-21-2013, 08:29 AM
The Lee loader is a slow way to load. The lee hand press and a set of reloading dies along with their hand prime and powder scoops would be so much faster and would allow full sizing brass.

Jupiter7
05-21-2013, 11:27 AM
Can these be used to reload cast bullets? and does anyone use of of these simple kits solely for all their reloading?

If you occasionally shot 10-20 rounds, it'd be ok. If you shoot much, it's not really feasible. I keep one in 38spl and 30-30, JIC. I've used the 38 for about 50 rounds, not what I'd call a fast procedure. Also, eventually full length resizing is needed. The hand press is more viable and costs very little. I think the lee loader shines for bolt gun load development at the range. Also works quite well with 38spl. The big 45 and 44 kit requires a lot force with a mallet to full length resize.

mdi
05-21-2013, 12:34 PM
I started reloading with a Lee Loader in '69. I was just reloading .38 Special, but it kept me shooting for a whole summer. I graduated to a single stage press and dies after a thousand or so .38s. I still have 4 Lee Loaders that I use when I feel "retro" or I'm just reloading a few (20) and don't wand to re-set one of my presses. I've reloaded .44 Magnums, 38/357 Mag, and 30-30 (for a single shot) with lead bullets and seems to work fine.

Smoke4320
05-21-2013, 12:54 PM
I started with the lee 308 hand loader in 1977.. loaded about 100 rds that year.
2 years later I graduated to a Rock Chucker.. worse move I ever made .. that press had cost me many thousands of dollars over ther years :)
all those dang bullets calling my name .. and now I rediscovered casting more dollars in the backstop .. please make it stop !!!

to answer your question .. yes you can use the lee hand loaders for all your simple reloading. As stated you will need something to bell the case mouth to accept the lead boolits for the rifle rounds.
It could be a simple tapered shaft and tapped with a hammer.. controlling the belling rate would be the issue..
a small step up would be the Lee hand press and Dies .. This would open up your possibilities to customizing your loads to fit your needs better..
but yes you can do it

vmathias
05-21-2013, 01:32 PM
Thanks guys, I really dont reload semi auto pistol rounds. I am an instructor and have access to those. My thing is reloading a few hundred rifle rounds a year to do a little practice and to work up some nice cast loads for predator hunting.

Randy C
05-22-2013, 11:43 AM
I started with the lee 308 hand loader in 1977.. loaded about 100 rds that year.
2 years later I graduated to a Rock Chucker.. worse move I ever made .. that press had cost me many thousands of dollars over ther years :)
all those dang bullets calling my name .. and now I rediscovered casting more dollars in the backstop .. please make it stop !!!

to answer your question .. yes you can use the lee hand loaders for all your simple reloading. As stated you will need something to bell the case mouth to accept the lead boolits for the rifle rounds.
It could be a simple tapered shaft and tapped with a hammer.. controlling the belling rate would be the issue..
a small step up would be the Lee hand press and Dies .. This would open up your possibilities to customizing your loads to fit your needs better..
but yes you can do it

Sounds like bullet Man has gone to heaven and wants some one to tell him its OK the trick is, let your wife think she can out shoot you and then your in heaven, O **** I hope she don't see this.