PDA

View Full Version : trimming jackets

lunicy
05-20-2013, 09:06 PM
What is everyone using to accurately trim their brass "jackets"
I was thinking of using lee's cutter and custom making the gauge rod on the lathe. It seams the quickest. I don't think a chop would work accurately, I'd only be taking .075-.125.

BTW does anyone know the thread size on the lee cutter, I haven't ordered mine yet.

Cane_man
05-20-2013, 09:51 PM
i have seen some using a harbor freight mini (2") cutoff saw and the RCBS Trim Pro as a jig:

http://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_17028.jpg

there is a thread in the archives with a pic, but i cant seem to find it right now...

Lizard333
05-20-2013, 10:08 PM
I use RCE's Pinch trim die for my rifle jackets and I use the above cut off saw for my pistol jackets. I mounted the blade and motor on top of a two by four and used an RCBS trimmer Pro as a base to hold the brass secure when trimming.

midnight
05-20-2013, 11:31 PM
UP North here on the forum made me a pinch trim die for my 30cal Sierrra jackets and like Lizard333 I use a HF chop saw and the RCBS trimpro case trimmer to hold cases to be trimmed. A pinch trim die can be kind or tricky. It works very well if you have one kind of jacket but if you make copper tubing jackets or have jackets with tapered walls you run into problems. Lee case trimmers will work but are labor intensive. Of course they only work when using cartridge cases for jackets. Their length range is limited by how much you can trim from the pin and still get it to work. I have had Lee make me special trimmers leaving the pin extra long so I can trim it to the length I want but if you want a shorter body on the Lee trimmer you will probably have to do it yourself on a lathe. There are some pics of my HF chop saw setup for both jacket trimming and copper tubing cutting somewheer here on the forum.

Bob