PDA

View Full Version : .454 taurus raging judge ?

foxhole
05-20-2013, 08:45 PM
I got to go out and shoot my new toy!I tried all three rounds,the .410,45lc and my favorite the .454.It shoots great. I purchaced this because i wanted the wallop the .454 packs.My freinds say the gun cant take the stress of continud max load firing and I should find a redused load for plinking.this hit me hard and cant stand the thought of a redused load in my new toy.can anyone shed some light on this?

joec
05-20-2013, 09:56 PM
I have the 454 Raging bull that I just got. Now I doubt your friend really knows what he is talking about as in spite of Taurus bashers out there they are one of the strongest guns on the market. I have several guns by Taurus and Rossi and all shoot +P loads or Ruger loads with out problem when stated they are rated for it.

Now with that said all I've heard about the Raging Judge is due to it shooting the 410 shells you might want to check the boar size as it might be a bit over the SAAMI spec. .452 for cast bullets. My Raging Bull is perfect for .452 bullets however it can't handle the .410 but will a 45 Schofield or Colt.

foxhole
05-24-2013, 10:29 AM
Thanks for the in put.my 1x brass needs trimmed,does this mean 454 brass will have a short life?

dmize
05-25-2013, 07:35 PM
I dont have a 454 but I have 3 480's. 2 Rugers and a 5.5" Raging Bull that is headed for warranty repairs for the third time. NONE have ever been fed a load hotter than "book" and the "Bull" is the newest and least shot.
I have no doubts that it wont handle full throttle loads but I sure as heck wouldnt make a habit of it.

azrednek
05-25-2013, 08:05 PM
My freinds say the gun cant take the stress of continud max load firing and I should find a redused load for plinking.this hit me hard and cant stand the thought of a redused load in my new toy.can anyone shed some light on this?

I don't know about your revolver but speaking from personal experience shooting my S&W 460 which shoots and chambers 454. Your wrist and hands are likely to yell "uncle" long before your gun.

I usually start by shooting a cylinder or two of either 460's or 454 Casull. I then switch to the much milder 45 Colt and shoot 50 to 100 rds. Before packing the revolver up I usually end the session with 10 to 15 rds of 460 or 454. I just can't imagine firing 100 rds of 454 on a single outing without having plenty of Advil handy in my shooter's bag.

foxhole
05-26-2013, 09:35 PM
I put 100 rnds of 300gr hornady factory 454 the first time out. I love this gun

454PB
05-26-2013, 10:17 PM
I have a Raging Bull in .454 Casull. While it is a great gun, it has a weak point. The design of the cylinder latches is the same as the old Dan Wesson .357's. Recoil applies force rearward and upward, which is the same directions used to open the latches, pushing the rear latch forward and the front latch downwards. I had to send mine back to Taurus when the condition became so bad the cylinder flopped open on every shot. They repaired it, but didn't bother to tell me how. I assume they installed stronger springs on one or both.

But.......the gun is extremely well fit and finished and shoots better than I can. It also has better factory grips than my Ruger SRH.

azrednek
05-26-2013, 11:19 PM
I put 100 rnds of 300gr hornady factory 454 the first time out. I love this gun

I've never shot or handled a 454 Taurus. Does it have a muzzle brake? Guess I'm a wimp!! As much as I love my S&W. Don't know if I could handle a hundred rounds of 454 in a single outing.

My 454's are loaded with either 340 or 350gr, can't recall the exact load at the moment and I'm to lazy to go look. The hand loaded and factory 454's have as much if not more recoil than the Hornady factory 460's loaded with a 200gr J-word. I have another box of 460's to go before I have enough brass to make it worth the time to hand load 460's.

foxhole
05-27-2013, 09:52 PM
No muzzle brake,and the 3" barrel to boot on the raging judge magnum. Now I want to shoot the .500 S&W really bad.How many time can .454 brass be reloaded? I noticed my 1x brass need trimed and I am worried about it getting thin at the base.

454PB
05-27-2013, 10:55 PM
Brass life will depend on how tightly chambered your gun is. I own three .454 revolvers, and all three have "tight" chambers. I get 15 reloads or so before the mouths split. I recently had a case actually split from the mouth to case head, but it was from a lot of the original Freedom Arms brass I got with my first .454 back around 1991. That brass had been fired probably 20 times, and I think it had finally just work hardened past it's life expectancy.

Potsy
05-28-2013, 12:08 PM
I actually shot the long barreled (6"?) version of that gun Friday.
I only shot 3 .454's (Hornady factory J-words) through it. The target was set up a mere 30' away (we had kids shooting also) but it did land all 3 nearly touching, and very close to the fixed sights at that distance. Given my experience with fixed sights and those looong throats, I really expected random accuracy to occur at a point somewhere other than where I was aiming.
I did figure out I wouldn't care to pack that beast all day and I also figured out I wouldn't want a .454 in anything lighter.
Sooo, I guess I'll keep packin' my Bisley .45 Colt (though I do need to work up some shot loads for it and my .45-70, ya never know!).