PDA

View Full Version : Stylish Gun

Scrounger
09-16-2007, 12:07 AM
I don't mind being an old fogie but some of you younger studs are going to have to do something with your guns to bring them up to date, style wise. I saw this one on GunBroker. Actually he's trying to sell his painting services rather than the gun he has listed for sale. It costs $130 to get a pistol this size painted your color of choice.

crabo
09-16-2007, 12:26 AM
Here's mine. Starts out silver and purple and fades to black and white.

Crabo

pumpguy
09-16-2007, 12:59 AM
I guess I just don't get it. I still think you can't beat deep blued steel and good old American black walnut.

Taylor
09-16-2007, 08:02 AM
Why??

waksupi
09-16-2007, 09:09 AM
Make it look like a toy, so the kiddies will want to play with it?

DanWalker
09-16-2007, 09:22 AM
Heck, I saw a Gold plated desert eagle 50 with anodized tiger stripes in a gun shop in houston this spring. Now THAT is stylin', or as the kids say nowadays,
"BIG PIMPIN'"
I gotta quit hanging around all you geezers. You're starting to rub off on me.....
To ME, no rifle can match the elegant simplicity of the hiwall action.
I'm also partial to the classic good looks of time worn leverguns, and sixguns.
But, hey, at least the people shooting them funny looking guns are SHOOTING.
it could be worse.

Jim
09-16-2007, 09:24 AM
$130 ?!! You gotta be greenin' me! You know how much GOOD, high quality spray paint you can buy for $130? And then ya' gotta pay for shipping, FFL charges, gas to and from Fedex or whoever ya' gonna use..........

$130 to paint a pistol, yeah, right. I'll get right on that.

Bret4207
09-16-2007, 09:42 AM
Stoopid!

Dale53
09-16-2007, 09:52 AM
My name is Dale and I have an addiction...

I am partial to stainless steel simply because of its utility value. For years I avoided any kind of embellishment on my guns because I could buy more guns if I kept them simple (accuracy was ALWAYS at the forefront). When I got older, had more disposable income I still tended to act the same. This process has but a lot of guns in my safe over the years.

I did decide to build a competitive modern bench rest rifle (heavy varmint class). I had Ferris Pindell do the metal work and I did the stock work (fiber glass stock blank). Since it wasn't wood and it needed something to cover the ugly fiber glass, the natural, normal thing to do was to paint it. I had a friend that ran an auto body shop so he got the opportunity to paint the stock for me (with me breathing down his back). I picked the color - "Money Green", how's that for a color? Well, I had no intention of becoming a modern bench rest shooter, but that rifle taught me a whole lot about reading the wind and just general bench shooting (It is a major skill in itself). To really learn, however, you must have a VERY accurate rifle - this one was and is a 1/4 minute rifle (state of the art when it was built). Right now, it and a dollar will get you a cup of coffee:mrgreen: .

After I started getting interested in Schuetzen shooting, having more disposable income, and meeting superb workmen (and actually becoming friends of several) I had a couple of fancy rifles built. I kind of like them...[smilie=1:

Regarding the above "painted pistols and such", my motto is "What ever spins your propeller".

Dale53

felix
09-16-2007, 10:19 AM
Jim, you'd be surprised at the amount of dollars required to purchase some specialized paints, varnishes, etc. Not only that, the knowledge necessary to apply it properly (making it last on the product) will blow your mind too. ... felix

USARO4
09-17-2007, 08:52 AM
Sacrilege!

9.3X62AL
09-17-2007, 09:10 AM
Sacrilege!

Complete agreement here. Like spray paint on the Sistine Chapel.

KCSO
09-17-2007, 09:20 AM
That is a special bke on spraying laquer. It is avasilable from Brownell's for ??? $26 bucks a can and you need a dedicated oven to cure it, don't try mama's oven. Aside from the colour this is a good durable finish and stands the gaff as good or better thn blueing. It just looks ugly, even in camo.

Dale53
09-17-2007, 10:51 AM
I became enamored of stainless guns when grouse hunting near Houghten Lake, MI. We would be hunting and it would start to rain. It is actually a pretty good time to hunt grouse and woodcock. I carried a handgun for wounded grouse (nah-h-h, I WASN'T afraid that they would attack me, but wounded grouse can run faster than I can and I don't like to shoot them again with a shotgun at close range. They also have big, really big wabbits up there (snow shoe rabbits) and they were VERY sporting with a revolver). Michigan law permitted us out of staters to use a handgun (we had to get a permit) but it MUST be on the outside (couldn't hide it under a coat). You could almost WATCH the rust build on a blued handgun. That's when I became interested in stainless steel. I have become accustomed to the look and with me, form follows function in priority.

I certainly don't want to argue with anyone else's opinion, I just like the utility value and all around practicality of a stainless gun. I even had my fancy engraved Schuetzen rifles actions "Metalifed" as they would get a good bit of wear. Man, have I gotten good comments on the Frogmoor Ballard with that treatment.

Dale53

targetshootr
09-17-2007, 04:05 PM
I've heard of pimp guns but I think that one belonged to a hooker. And not a pricey one either.

:drinks:

Taylor
09-29-2007, 08:38 AM
Here it is! The police will see it,and think it's a toy, Joe Criminal can get off the first shot. Of course he will hold it side ways, and miss,-- bye Joe.