PDA

View Full Version : 98% Antimony/ 2% Silver Alloy?

Grump
05-20-2013, 05:04 PM
The price is okay (not great) but I don't want to buy huge quantities.

Anyone know what the melting point would be? I'm afraid it will behave just like regular elemental antimony, heat the lead pot up and let the antimony slowly dissolve into the melt. Maybe. What, stir for an hour???

Or would there be a better way?

Defcon-One
05-20-2013, 06:58 PM
...Or would there be a better way?...

Yeah, buy something else! You need the Lead/Antimony alloy to be any use! Antimony alone is not gonna be easy and I don't really see the Silver as any help.

Melting point will be over 1,167 °F, pretty high for a lead pot. Also, I wonder about any fume issues?

Grump
05-20-2013, 09:55 PM
Hey, I think your avatar pic is the shot my Dad had an 8x10 color photo of waybackwhen.

I even thought of suiting up in a mask* and torching the stuff to drip into the melt.

My Dad had a 3-4 lb jagged chunk of the stuff years ago but it disappeared into a big batch of alloy while I was off at college. Never mentioned how much trouble he had with it...

*real filter, not just a dust mask.

fryboy
05-20-2013, 10:07 PM
the silver will be much like copper will in babbit ,ie; it kind of fades to such a small percentage that it doesnt matter much ( unless you happen to nick a werewolf :P ) i'd treat it as plain ol' antimony , you wont melt it into your lead persay but you can dissolve some much like a tootsie pop
no idea on the actual melt temp should you try it solo , suffice to say as stated it'd have to be hot !!!!

303Guy
05-28-2013, 01:21 AM
Well, the melting point of copper is 1085 degrees C and it dissolves into lead just fine. Of course it must be tinned first. Would antimony dissolve into tin?

fryboy
05-28-2013, 07:03 PM
yes , it's perhaps one of the easiest ways to smelt antimony into a mix - start with a hi tin base but it'll still be like that lollipop dissolving in your mouth vs. that ice cream that melted sooooo fast