View Full Version : My dream job

Jim
09-15-2007, 07:34 PM
I had a great second day @ S/W. I handled and stocked more ammunition and components in 8 hours than most people shoot in a lifetime(excepting the people on this forum, of coarse). My favorite part of this job has become interacting with customers out on the floor and helping them find things they're looking for or answering questions about products. It is really gratifying to be told "thanks, you've been a big help".
I love the kids coming in with their parents. One young man, I'm guessing about 14 or so, got his first rifle, a .223. He was wound up tighter'n an 8 day clock. Time to get some ammo and I approached him asking if he needed help as he was coming down the ammo isle. He wanted something to shoot that wasn't expensive. I set him up with a great bargain and I thought the kid was gonna hug me. .223, a few hunnerd bucks, a gun case, $19.95, 100 rds. of "something to shoot", Less than $40, a happy 14 year old with a grin that went all the way around his head, PRICELESS!
Man, that's what I'm talkin' about!

armoredman
09-15-2007, 08:04 PM
That was what I loved when I worked at a gunshop/range years ago. Well done, many more happy days to you!

PatMarlin
09-16-2007, 12:20 AM
S/W? Smith and Wesson?

I wish I lived in a place populated enough for a range and a gunshop. Maybe if it was built they would come.. :Fire:

pumpguy
09-16-2007, 12:48 AM
I'm guessing Sportsman's Warehouse???

Jim
09-16-2007, 12:53 AM
Sportsman's Warehouse.

Scrounger
09-16-2007, 11:27 AM
Don't wish that, Pat. If you ever get enough people there to support that, there will be so many people and cars you can't go anywhere anyway. Traffic noise will drive the wildlife away and polution will ruin the trees. And the people, most of whom will be anti-gun Liberals, will vote to shut down the range and outlaw shooting. Keep it just like it is. Your wish is a typical California thing; everybody came out there from somewhere else and fell in love with it and stayed because it was so new and fresh and different to them. Then they begin doing their utmost to turn it into the kind of place they had moved from. Did you ever read the book "The Late Great State Of California"?

PatMarlin
09-16-2007, 11:49 AM
I know I thought about that after I posted.

I yearn for a shooting club. I've thought about where a commercial range could be placed up in these parts, but there is no place close to town that would be acceptable to the community.

Private land is so expensive now, that won't work neither. Never read that book. Seen first hand the results of the title though.. :mrgreen:

I just need to start a group up, and we can shoot on my forest service land range. Problem is everyone's to busy including me right now, but if I'm home, I can do Sundays- God and gun's day.. :Fire: :mrgreen:

1hole
09-19-2007, 07:54 AM
Jim, (Off topic ?) - I'm near Asheville. It's a good drive to Columbia but I do it sometimes and usually pop into SW while there, will look for you. It's a neat place and well stocked too, especially the reloading and optics departments.

Question - Do you/they have Lee Collet crimpers in stock for the .218 Bee and .44/40 now?

Blammer
09-21-2007, 08:15 PM
better than my job..

Jim
09-22-2007, 06:50 AM
1hole,
S/W doesn't carry a lot of anything by Lee. Best thing to do is call the store @ 803-731-3000 and ask for hunting dept..