PDA

View Full Version : Zinc

lka
05-20-2013, 09:59 AM
Has anybody tried any kind of casting with zinc? I have quite a bit of it left over from my wheel weight sorting and was. Curious about maybe making buckshot with it, I have heard it will ruin your pot and moulds (or turn them into zinc only post and moulds) I want to do something with this stuff hate to toss it.

shadygrady
05-20-2013, 10:52 AM
if you got 40 lbs or more send it to me for ww ingots

lka
05-20-2013, 10:55 AM
if you got 40 lbs or more send it to me for ww ingots

I'll weigh it when I get off work today, I'll post back here,

What do you do with it?

JeffinNZ
05-20-2013, 06:47 PM
PM me an email address and I will send you an old article on Zn boolits.

BBQJOE
05-20-2013, 07:39 PM
From what I've read elsewhere, with an enlargement to the sprue holes, one can cast a zinc bullet. It doesn't need to be lubed, it will be lighter and harder than lead, but will remove every last spec of lead in your barrel.

lka
05-20-2013, 08:15 PM
From what I've read elsewhere, with an enlargement to the sprue holes, one can cast a zinc bullet. It doesn't need to be lubed, it will be lighter and harder than lead, but will remove every last spec of lead in your barrel.

Doesn't sound bad, I have an old lee 40 I don't use that may be a good tester

I forgot to weigh them, I'll do it tomorrow am, I got o loading buck shot after work and next thing it was dinner :D

dilly
05-20-2013, 08:18 PM
I asked shady before and he makes cannonballs. Sounds fascinating to me but I don't know much about what he does with it. Shady, I hope you will share your canon project with us someday. It sounds very cool.

Thompsoncustom
05-20-2013, 08:21 PM
I've done casting with Zinc and no it doesn't make your pots or molds Zinc only after using them. Tho zinc dissolves aluminum so casting zinc in a lee mold or any aluminum mold can be done but is a little trickier.

I've never had any luck with zinc WW tho only pure zinc but you can make some really hard bullets and they can be polished to shine like a rim.

lka
05-21-2013, 07:26 PM
Well I have a bigger 5gal bucket about 2/3 full, my scale only goes to 15lbs so it's goings be some work, if you were to trade how would I ship all this? In a few flat-rate boxes? I would love to see the cannon ball, lol..