PDA

View Full Version : Sharps Mainspring

TXGunNut
05-19-2013, 10:56 PM
I have a Pedretti 1874 Sharps that broke a mainspring awhile back. I was able to obtain one from VTI but soon noticed that some primers would fail to fire, even tho they had a nice dent from the firing pin. I tried other primers but nothing changed. I decided to order another mainspring as the replacement looked a little different from the original. It took a little fitting but seemed to work OK. Hammer seemed a little slow, tho. When the second spring didn't show up I called the nice folks at VTI. It seems my order was on hold because the Pedretti spring was no longer available. We decided to try one from a Pedersoli even tho they were a bit different. Tonight wasn't a good night for gunsmithing, I managed to buggar both action screws and broke the new Pedersoli mainspring. I repaired the screws, reinstalled the other spring, and called it good for tonight. I guess I'll order a mainspring vise before I try that trick again.
Am I on the right track? I think the Pedersoli spring is a bit stronger and a bit shorter but I believe it may work. The forked end of the spring that engages the stirrup of the hammer needed to be widened but the locating pin seems close enough. Should I try another Pedersoli spring or try something else?

waksupi
05-20-2013, 01:44 AM
Check for a broken firing pin.

Cactus Farmer
05-20-2013, 11:33 AM
Check for a broken firing pin.

I agree, check the pin.

TXGunNut
05-20-2013, 10:06 PM
OK, seemed intact last time I had it out but will recheck. Obviously I'm missing something.

KCSO
05-21-2013, 09:41 AM
#2 is to take your mainspring and polish off any grind marks that go across the spring. All tooling marks should be minute and with the length of the spring. You may have the model with a two piece firing pin and that wil cause some problems also.

TXGunNut
05-22-2013, 11:28 PM
Will take a look this weekend, too rough a week to even think about working on a rifle. Seems it was a two-piece firing pin but for some reason I just can't recall.

TCLouis
05-23-2013, 09:23 PM
Now that I am old enough to qualify as an "Old Curmudgeon" I have finally learned there are times to just sit a project down and walk away for a while.

TXGunNut
05-25-2013, 06:56 PM
Tried that, TCLouis. I bought the Pedretti years ago and drag it out now and then when I need a humbling experience.;-) Someday, if I can determine whether I can learn to shoot a Sharps I will order a rifle more to my liking from our friends in Big Timber. I'm still trying to figure out how to make the sights work with my glasses and aging eyeballs and this "failure to fire" issue is annoying.
This is the rifle that introduced me to boolit casting so it hasn't been a total loss.

TXGunNut
05-25-2013, 07:21 PM
Finally got an opportunity the recheck the firing pin. It's the two-piece design with a rebound spring. Appears to be intact.

TXGunNut
08-10-2013, 09:19 PM
Fixed it! It seems the side of the mainspring was rubbing the side plate and slowing down the velocity of the hammer. A bit of fitting and things seem to be working great, even cleared up the vertical stringing I was experiencing. I used the "wrong" powder charge under some boolits I thought the rifle didn't like, had some decent groups. I may figure this old rifle out someday!

Bent Ramrod
08-11-2013, 10:08 PM
TxGunNut,

Good for you! I have a few bete noirs in my safe that I take out into the shop every now and again for another session of "Waltzing Matilda." On those infrequent occasions when I finally figure out how to get them working and shooting, it really makes my month!

sharpsguy
08-11-2013, 10:19 PM
Where in Texas are you? I am in north east Texas. I can show you how to make that Sharps work if you can get over here. Sharps are all I shoot, and I have a 500 yard range in my back yard. Let me know if I can help.

TXGunNut
08-13-2013, 10:09 PM
Betty who? I actually love this old rifle, she's just a little hard to figure out. I take her out, everybody makes a fuss over how pretty she is and then she disappoints me. I think I found a front sight insert that my eyes can make out so I may actually be able to make this work.
I'm a bit North of the Metromess, sharpsguy. Close enough to see the smog but far enough away I can see the stars at night. I'm a member of a private club with a 200 yard range close enough to the back yard, takes longer to case the guns than it does to drive over there. I truly appreciate the offer, if I get the BPCR bug any worse I'm sure we'll be talking. I've hunted near Paris, nice corner of the state you have there.

MGySgt
08-15-2013, 10:04 PM
I think I found a front sight insert that my eyes can make out so I may actually be able to make this work.

See if you have a circle insert for your Globe. The most accurate setup I have found is a Circle in a Circle. Your Aperture in the rear sight is your first (outside) circle, your circle in the globe is the second one and the black bulls eye is your last circle.

The eye try's to automatically center everything up. I can shoot groups at 100 as well with either of my Sharps with that set up as I can with any scope.