PDA

View Full Version : Casting Gloves, anything new that aren't bulky?

Changeling
05-19-2013, 03:53 PM
Hello to all.

I was wondering if there is anything "NEW" in glove technology for casting safety that is not as "combersome" as welders gloves at reasonable prices?

Mike Kerr
06-05-2013, 12:52 AM
I am wondering the same thing because the bulky ones that I have cut down on dexerity, quite a bit.

Mk42gunner
06-05-2013, 07:19 AM
I too lost to much dexterity to use welders gauntlets; so for years I have used plain unlined leather work gloves, the cheapest ones at the farm store. They aren't a lot of protection against heat, but I don't try to hold the mold without handles anyway.

In the last two or three years there was a lot of talk about some new oven glove that was supposed to be a great insulator, I can't remember the name, but a search for oven glove will probably bring it up.

Robert

EDG
06-05-2013, 07:49 AM
The common cuffed work gloves will work for you if you wear them long enough to break them in so they have a curl to match your 1/2 opened hand. Just try out the cheapos at Harbor Freight.

MatteR
06-05-2013, 05:34 PM
I too lost to much dexterity to use welders gauntlets; so for years I have used plain unlined leather work gloves, the cheapest ones at the farm store. They aren't a lot of protection against heat, but I don't try to hold the mold without handles anyway.

In the last two or three years there was a lot of talk about some new oven glove that was supposed to be a great insulator, I can't remember the name, but a search for oven glove will probably bring it up.

RobertIt's called the Ove Glove.

kenyerian
06-05-2013, 05:41 PM
This is what I use on my right hand. http://www.target.com/p/as-seen-on-tv-ove-glove/-/A-11031019 . Welders glove on the left.

Patrick L
06-05-2013, 05:52 PM
For years I have used light leather garden/work gloves with excellent results. I have been wondering about these "mechanic's gloves" I see advertised, but have never tried them.

Welders gloves are too bulky, except for heavy WW smelting.

SeabeeMan
06-05-2013, 06:54 PM
Mechanics gloves are synthetic, so they might not be a great idea. We weren't allowed to we're them when I was over in the desert for fear of them melting to skin. Same with under armor type tshirts. I wear a pair of tig welding gloves which are much thinner. Spendy but greater you happen to have a pair. Hobart mig gloves are pretty dexterous.

dkf
06-07-2013, 07:56 PM
I use gloves for TIG welding to cast. They are much thinner than gloves for Stick or MIG welding because TIG requires more dexterity to manipulate the torch and feed the filler wire and concentrates the heat better.

http://jtillman.com/products/gloves/tig/

Bjornb
06-08-2013, 03:15 PM
What Kenyerian said. The "OVE GLOVE" on my right hand, mould handles in my ungloved left. The OVE GLOVE in made from silicone fabric (yarn?) and is incredibly heat resistant. Haven't used welder's gloves in years. YMMV.

detox
06-09-2013, 07:47 PM
I do not use gloves when casting. Even when i am fluxing melt, the stainless spoon does not get hot enough to burn me.

btroj
06-10-2013, 07:32 AM
No gloves for me. I rarely get a burn, those I do get are small ones for lead splatter.

I don't want the bulk of a glove. I like to feel what I am doing.

dromia
06-11-2013, 02:35 AM
Gave up on gloves years ago I found their clumsiness more of a hazard than not wearing them.

Nickle
06-11-2013, 12:00 PM
You can go the an Army-Navy store (that sells real surplus, not just commercial over runs).

Buy a pair of USGI leather gloves, the kind that usually use a wool liner. They're in black or tan. Tan are technically "work gloves". Fit to use without the liners. Thicker than commercial, thinner than welder's gloves. You should have reasonable dexterity using them.

Like these: http://www.uscav.com/productinfo.aspx?productid=8752&TabID=548&cs=1

Wayne Smith
06-12-2013, 09:25 PM
OK - after looking at those options, I have another question. How do I size my hands to know what size glove to buy??