PDA

View Full Version : Lee Turrent Press Consideration

ColColt
05-19-2013, 02:44 PM
I have an RCBS Jr I've had for decades but have recently been eying the Lee Turrent Press. I watched a few YouTube videos of its operation and was impressed except for the idea of having it measure powder for you. That bothers me. I can see easily getting a double charge of 231 is a case. I'm use to throwing, once set up and verified, one charge at a time from the Ohaus DU-O-Measure and anything else makes me nervous. I check every 8-10 rounds just to be sure I'm still where I initially set it. One double charge is one too many. Or, for that matter, getting 8 gr when you thought you were set up for 5 grains. This is the primary reason I've stayed away from progressive loaders but the Lee looked inviting.

BW64
05-19-2013, 03:05 PM
Lee Turret is fine for me. The auto pro disc works excellent for 9mm,45,.223 & 38! I set up a magnetic light on the side of the press & check every powder throw.

BW

Bjornb
05-19-2013, 03:11 PM
Been using the Lee Turret for my handgun ammo for a long time. Works great. But I do NOT use their powder measuring system. I set my primed cases in a loading block (homemade, takes 200 rounds), then charge them from my RCBS measure, then double check with flashlight. Only then will I use the Lee press (3 of the 4 stations) to expand, seat and crimp. Remember to apply a drop of 3-in-1 oil to the indexing rod AND the turret wheel every time you get ready to load. It keeps everything turning smoothly......

VHoward
05-19-2013, 03:18 PM
http://leeprecision.com/4-hole-classic-turret-press.html
If you do get the lee turret press, get the one in the link. I have use that one and liked it. You don't have to use the powder measure on the press. The Lee powder through expander die can be used without a powder measure mounted on it. When you pulled the handle on the case mouth expanding process, just leave the ram up while you pour your powder charge into the die with a funnel, then raise the handle lowering the ram and you go to the bullet seating/crimping step(s).

joec
05-19-2013, 03:25 PM
I also have the Lee Classic Turret and love it. Now if you don't want to use the on the press powder measure then that is easy also. Just use the Lee expander/powder die which comes with a powder funnel adapter on every one, put a funnel on and pour however you do you powder loads. It works with the dippers or a Lee Funnel however others also will work.

44Vaquero
05-19-2013, 03:33 PM
Much ado about nothing! Reloading is about paying attention to what you are doing.

When using a self advancing turret press like the Lee you have to remember to pull the lever start to stop and back to the upright position. The turret rotates 1/3 (1/4 if using the new 4 hole version)each time you do so and drops powder at station #2 and then advances. At this point you have the option to remove the case and check the powder charge or just visually inspect the case in position. I actually think it's harder to screw up when using a loading block and bench mounted powder drop.

I have been running a 3 hole Lee turret for 20 years and have yet to see a double charge, I have seen no charge (Operator Error, do not forget to ensure the hopper is in the "On" position). Visual inspection is the key!

seagiant
05-19-2013, 03:54 PM
Much ado about nothing! Reloading is about paying attention to what you are doing.

When using a self advancing turret press like the Lee you have to remember to pull the lever start to stop and back to the upright position. The turret rotates 1/3 (1/4 if using the new 4 hole version)each time you do so and drops powder at station #2 and then advances. At this point you have the option to remove the case and check the powder charge or just visually inspect the case in position. I actually think it's harder to screw up when using a loading block and bench mounted powder drop.

I have been running a 3 hole Lee turret for 20 years and have yet to see a double charge, I have seen no charge (Operator Error, do not forget to ensure the hopper is in the "On" position). Visual inspection is the key!

Hi,
What he said!!! BW64,that bench is way to tidy!!!

BW64
05-19-2013, 04:09 PM
Hi,
What he said!!! BW64,that bench is way to tidy!!!

LOL OK I'll give you a recent pic. But it's not much messier. I'm just a neat freak!! LOL BTW I can make that turret holder for anyone that wants one for a small fee.

ColColt
05-19-2013, 04:35 PM
I guess there's more than one way to skin a cat like with most things. I'd have to opt out using their powder measuring system but all else looks pretty simply. I've been looking for a more productive way to increase my 45 ACP production and this is a viable compromise over using the RCBS single stage I've used forever. I take it the threads in the press are standard and you don't have to use their dies or shell holders? I would think any brand would work.

Nobody's work area should look like that. It looks like a hospital compared to mine. BW64, you just haven't acquired enough "stuff" yet.

lars1367
05-19-2013, 04:42 PM
Works like a champ if you keep an eye on things like you are supposed to. I weigh all my cartridges after loading. Anything out of line gets pulled out. The standard auto disk is a ***. The auto disk pro is much better.
-Corey

ubetcha
05-19-2013, 05:00 PM
I have been using the Lee auto disc for years and have not had a double or short charge using 231. Only problem is it may not have the correct charge that you are using. For instance, if you are using 3 gr 231,the holes in the auto disc may be either 2.5gr for one hole and 4gr for the next size hole. This is just an example, not actual measurements. They did have a micro disc with an insert for even smaller charges.

ColColt
05-19-2013, 05:26 PM
I weigh all my cartridges after loading. Anything out of line gets pulled out.

That's not going to tell you much. In 45 ACP cases you can have a variation in case weight of up to 2-2.5 gr. I've weighed them and most go at about 87.5 while others will go 89.8 gr. That's with just the primer in. If you're loading lead bullets there can be that same amount of deviation. Now you've got a total of a possible 5 gr variation. You won't know if you have to much powder or if something else is amuck.

joec
I agree and use a Lee Pro version on every turret/caliber I own. I have even setup them to work with three disks if necessary as I ran into a problem with it on some 45-70 loads. I've never had one throw a double charge but then I weigh each charge also regardless of caliber. I will also add the Lee Turrets are quick and easy to change calibers as well as primer sizes. Started with a Lee Pro 1000 and though it worked fine was a bit of a hassle to convert to another caliber etc. Sold them and picked up the Lee Classic turret and a Lee Classic Cast for other things. I now have the perfect setup for myself as I load a couple of hundred rounds to replace what I shoot in a month in various calibers.

seagiant
Hi,
Here's what I use to load 45 ACP. This is an all manual loader. The way it works is really well thought out. When the handle is DOWN shell holder up,the primer bar and powder bar are pushed! When the handle is UP shellholder down, a bullet is placed in station 3 and a case in station 1. So two things to watch or do at each end of the spectrum! This keeps everything straight and lessens missed operations! Like I tell my wife when she's driving,"You have to supply the brains!"

rollmyown
05-19-2013, 06:13 PM
Try it with an open mind. There is a pretty good chance you will change your mind. It's simple and reliable and I think it's as safe as any other method if you concentrate on the job at hand.
Regardless, you will love the press.

DougGuy
05-19-2013, 06:35 PM
I used to load 45 ACP on a lee 3 hole progressive press, two things that must be kept in mind. First, you CANNOT have enough of those pita little white ratchets... Secondly, if you are serious about wanting consistent charges, find an old billet aluminum adjustable charge bar and use the old original Lee auto disk powder measure. The newer red all plastic powder measure is pure JUNK!

Or you could simply use a Dillon measure on your Lee press like I do, works great.

I have the Lee Load Master press now, and am very satisfied with it for the $245 that it cost. I use the Dillon measure on it, and I prime all the brass in one operation where I can check each case visually and with a finger, and only then do I load primed cases with it progressively.

My only request for the Load Master would be for Lee to revise them so that you could take cases out and put them back in easier in the middle of operation, so that you could weigh and check powder charges. The Load Master is very non forgiving of any errors, and although it is a whole lot more robust than earlier Lee presses, you kinda have to work with it, and take it's quirks and limitations in hand. Overall I think it's their best effort and you get what you pay for.

VHoward
05-19-2013, 06:54 PM
In the 2 year I owned a Lee Classic Turret press, I never broke the little square ratchet nut. As long as you do complete strokes and not try to change directions in the middle of a stroke, you won't break one.

Recluse
05-19-2013, 06:56 PM
If you're looking at a Lee turret press, I'd go with the Classic Turret. It is ninety-different ways to Sunday sturdy and stout. Like (just about) any other turret, you can remove the indexing rod and use it either as a single-stage press or as a manually indexing turret.

So far as using powder measures on an indexing press? That is a big part of why I use indexing/progressive presses--so that I can dump a consistent powder charge every single time with one pull of the handle then have the case index to the bullet-seating, then crimping stage.

Twenty-five years ago, I bought a Lee Pro1000 for $99 as I didn't have the funds for a Big Blue machine. With the Pro1000 came the pro auto disc setup, of which I have now easily loaded over 100K rounds using and with no malfunctions or breakage. I have the VMD quantities down pat so that I know which VMD cavity will dump which amount of powder--and it has been amazingly consistent from day one.

I've used--and continue to use--that little Lee auto disc measure on a Lee powder through expander die and have used it on a variety of different brand presses over the years and it has performed flawlessly. Not sure how the new ones and the new design works, but the old style from twenty plus years ago is bullet proof (figuratively :) ).

:coffee:

ColColt
05-19-2013, 07:07 PM
I never considered turret presses, especially auto indexing presses, until lately. It's slow going with a single stage press all the way but as I mentioned before, progressive loaders and those like the Lee with automatic powder dumping give me goose bumps. I think if I bought one I'd have to use it with a funnel for awhile until I built up my confidence that the powder measuring system was indeed going to work as designed and not give me 9.8 gr of a certain powder when I thought I was getting 7.2 gr. That's my only qualm or hang up about this type press. I use to read here and there about guys talking about a "disc" for their press and had no idea what they were talking about. It didn't seem too safe to me.

I think the younger guys, well under 50, have less of a problem with these than old timers like me who started out with a Pacific C-press and graduated to the hierarchy of an RCBS Jr or Rock Chucker...considered the creme' de la creme' long ago.

Digger
05-19-2013, 08:00 PM
Have been using the "classic cast turret" for the last few years , was great to learn on as I was able to operate with out the indexing rod at first , then went on to the standard technique of four strokes ...
When I started loading rifle , I was concerned about checking the powder fill/load as compared to the pistol cases , I can not see that far down the rifle shell ....
Came up with this home made set up for my 308's ..... using an older 38 die set up , I came up with a simple gravity plunger that falls into the shell after the powder dump .
I marked it at the level that I wanted for that particular 4895 load and off to the races , instant powder check die ! ....
open the link below..
http://s1301.photobucket.com/user/digger83/library/?sort=3&page=1

Recluse
05-19-2013, 08:40 PM
those like the Lee with automatic powder dumping give me goose bumps. I think if I bought one I'd have to use it with a funnel for awhile until I built up my confidence that the powder measuring system was indeed going to work as designed and not give me 9.8 gr of a certain powder when I thought I was getting 7.2 gr. That's my only qualm or hang up about this type press. I use to read here and there about guys talking about a "disc" for their press and had no idea what they were talking about. It didn't seem too safe to me.

Think of the disc system like the chargebar you use on a MEC when reloading shotgun shells--it's the same technique.

And actually, the powder measures use a cavity in which you, the operator, set the exact volume of powder to dispense with each pull of the handle. The disc system works the same way except that the disc openings are fixed--meaning that you can't "tweak" each charge, but instead may have to accept a tenth of a grain more (or less) than what you're after with smaller loads, and maybe two or sometimes three tenths of a grain with the larger volume openings.

On one hand, it's not a precise system in that you, the operator, can manipulate to the exact tenth of a grain the charge you're desiring to load. On the other hand, when you get compatible powders and charge ratios figured out, those loads never vary--because they work exactly the same as any other powder measure.

I don't use the disc measure for all of my reloading--in fact, I probably use it only for about half or so. The rest I use with a powder measure and then augment, when necessary, with a powder trickler.

If you have the chance to see a disc system work firsthand (not on an internet video), I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at the simplicity and reliability of it. Until then, as both you and I know, our OWN confidence in our equipment and techniques reign supreme. :) The Lee powder-through expander dies allow a funnel to sit perfectly in them, so it makes precision charging a case fast and easy.

jameslovesjammie
05-19-2013, 09:31 PM
Here's a pic of how I operate my Classic Cast press. Sorry about the clutter in the background.

I Resize and deprime, then prime the case and flare. Then I take the case off the shellholder and flip the case over to give a quick inspection to the primer. Then I drop the powder charge from my Redding 3BR, visually inspect the powder drop, and put the case back in the press and seat the bullet and crimp in two separate operations.

It honestly doesn't take that much extra time to do these steps, and I don't really like Lee's powder measurer.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c129/jameslovesjammie/gun%20stuff/2012-02-06_23-43-35_946.jpg (http://s26.photobucket.com/user/jameslovesjammie/media/gun%20stuff/2012-02-06_23-43-35_946.jpg.html)

ColColt
05-19-2013, 09:40 PM
This looks like the best setup for me...at least until I could(if ever) trust or get use to another system of filling the cases. I'd love to see first hand the entire operation other than a YouTube video but I doubt that's going to happen. I know of no one around here who's a reloader much less have a Lee Turret press. Most I know that shoot buy factory or are too lazy to cast/reload. I've probably used 70% reloads over the decades as I found long ago you can get more accurate ammo that way. This is especially true with rifles more so than pistol ammo.

I'd love to try the Lee but not sure about the difference between the 4 hole jobbie and the Classic. Guess I need to look into that a bit more. The one VHoward recommended is shown as a 4 Hole Classic. I thought they were two different ones initially? I probably don't need more than the 4 Hole press. I can see the need for the powder through expander die but I think I'd rather use RCBS dies for most of the operation and I've found the Lyman M-die superior for case expansion.

birch
05-19-2013, 10:34 PM
I started on a single stage, and constantly checked and double checked my charges. I bet I didnt make it 10 cases without throwning a charge and measuring it. I also had two scales set up for double checking! I had a good buddy talk me into buying his Lee Turret as he was going to a progressive, and my reloading woes are over.
There is really no chance of double charging a case. The autodisk measuring system is truly brilliant. If you havent seen one in action, I would highly suggest going to a good sporting goods store and have them set one up on a die and see for yourself that there is basically no way for the thing to do you wrong. Like someone said, you can load em up without turning on the hopper and that is a bummer, but if you don't leave the press to chase the kids or calm down the wife, then everything is good and you never have to turn the thing off in the first place.

Another thing I like is the consistancy of throws. I used an old redding powder thrower that required a nice tempo with the same type of stroke to load consistantly. The Lee autodisk system throws the same charge every time. I guess humidy might change things a bit since it is a volume measurement, but it is nice.

I could try to explain how it works, but you just have to see it for yourself to really appreciate the simplicity of function and design. It is awesome and one of the greatest inventions of our craft that I have ever personally seen.

ColColt
05-19-2013, 10:41 PM
Like someone said, you can load em up without turning on the hopper and that is a bummer,

Turning on the hopper? Not sure what you mean there. I can't seem to find one of these anywhere but found half a dozen on ebaby. They offer them as a kit to include the press, powder measure, large and small primer trays, mounting hardware, Lee manual and a Lee scale. they run from about $250-375.

Buzz64
05-19-2013, 11:07 PM
Ford, Chevy or Dodge - everyone has an opinion. I used a rock chucker and junior for years (since 1968) and switched to the Lee Classic Turret last year for volume pistol loading. Haven't looked back! It is a great machine and paired with a quality scale I have not had one concern with it or the powder measuring or dropping setup. Just set it up check the first 10 drops on the scale and off you go. I have NEVER had a charge vary by more than a tenth of a grain from what the disk said it would. Some times you have to use a different hole depending on the powder (flake vs ball) but since you Always Weigh the charge to get it set up it isn't a big deal. Select the size hole for your powder based on the weight it actually drops and all is good. Now rifles may be a little different but haven't used my classic for rifles so have no input for that.

ColColt
05-20-2013, 10:54 AM
Some times you have to use a different hole depending on the powder (flake vs ball) but since you Always Weigh the charge to get it set up it isn't a big deal.

So, setting up a charge of say, 9 gr of Unique may not yield the same weight as 9 gr of HS-6 you may want from that same hole. Makes sense since they're different powders...flake vs ball. I' beginning to see one of these in the immediate future. It would be a treat to be able to knock out 150-200 rounds per hour. I can't approximate that with my single stage setup now for sure.

Buzz64
05-20-2013, 11:52 AM
So, setting up a charge of say, 9 gr of Unique may not yield the same weight as 9 gr of HS-6 you may want from that same hole. Makes sense since they're different powders...flake vs ball. I' beginning to see one of these in the immediate future. It would be a treat to be able to knock out 150-200 rounds per hour. I can't approximate that with my single stage setup now for sure.

NEVER believe a volume type power measure will drop what it says in the book for a given bushing (or disk as in the classic)! Always start with what they suggest then weigh several (I do at least 10) drops to make sure it is what you want given the specific powder you are using. Also, check the weights occasionally, about every 25th round to make sure 'settling of the powder in the hopper isn't giving you heavier drops. I've never experienced anything more than about a tenth of a grain increase. Do 25 rounds then check and if all ok, drop the 25 finished rounds in your storage can (box em up) and do another 25 keeping them separate then if you do happen to find a problem you only have to check the last 25. Can do less and have less to check until you get comfortable that the system really is reliable.

ColColt
05-20-2013, 03:12 PM
Does anyone use the charge bar over the discs? I don't know that it would be more accurate or more time consuming.

Well, I decided to go with everyone's advice and bought one with both small and large primer feeder, scale comes with it along with the Auto Disc powder measure, riser and a few other goodies. Love them toys!

lars1367
05-20-2013, 03:21 PM
That's not going to tell you much. In 45 ACP cases you can have a variation in case weight of up to 2-2.5 gr. I've weighed them and most go at about 87.5 while others will go 89.8 gr. That's with just the primer in. If you're loading lead bullets there can be that same amount of deviation. Now you've got a total of a possible 5 gr variation. You won't know if you have to much powder or if something else is amuck.

It's worked well enough for me. Cartridges that far out of variation get pulled. Bullets are weighed ahead time, and cases are weighed ahead of time. I load similar sizes and weights so that the only variable is the powder. Again, this is in addition, not replacing what you should be doing.

Chilmonty
05-20-2013, 04:43 PM
Here's a pic of how I operate my Classic Cast press. Sorry about the clutter in the background.

I Resize and deprime, then prime the case and flare. Then I take the case off the shellholder and flip the case over to give a quick inspection to the primer. Then I drop the powder charge from my Redding 3BR, visually inspect the powder drop, and put the case back in the press and seat the bullet and crimp in two separate operations.

It honestly doesn't take that much extra time to do these steps, and I don't really like Lee's powder measurer.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c129/jameslovesjammie/gun%20stuff/2012-02-06_23-43-35_946.jpg (http://s26.photobucket.com/user/jameslovesjammie/media/gun%20stuff/2012-02-06_23-43-35_946.jpg.html)

Thats a good method James! Like you I am not that crazy about the lee powder measure, so I use an older Dillon powder measure that is case activated and works great. You do have to change the internal powder funnel when you change calibers but that is very simple.
Otherwise, it is just 4 handle pulls and you have a completed round! :)

trixter
05-20-2013, 05:04 PM
I have been using my Lee Classic Turret press for a little over 2 years. I use a single disc for my 45ACP with 4.0gr of Bullseye, then switch over to 26gr of Ram TAC for my .223. I use a disc and the adjustable charge bar and fine tune it for what I want, I also use a disk and adjustable charge bar for my 300 Savage (Remington Bolt), and my 30-06 for 12 gr of Unique, all boolits are lead. I have been very pleased with ease of use, and reliability of the LCT press I dearly love this hobby, with a bang.

Riverpigusmc
05-20-2013, 07:44 PM
I use my Lee 4 hole as a combo single stage/turret. Took the indexing rod out...decap and size 100 cases, then expand them, prime on a hand primer, charge them with a Little Dandy, then seat and crimp them. I find that being somewhat new to reloading, it's easier to do it this way so I can concentrate on each stage of the operation. YMMV

Poygan
05-20-2013, 08:35 PM
Riverpigusmc, Pretty much what I do. Size on station one and expand on station two. Take out of shell holder and hand prime with the Lee unit. Charge with powder and then seat the boolit on station three and then crimp (revolver loads) on station four. Took out the indexing rod right away. Faster than my Rockchucker but still loads at a pace I'm comfortable with.

gunoil
05-20-2013, 09:55 PM
What 44vaquera said.

http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k511/putt2012/8077979B-5791-47FA-87F7-7AA878231360-11286-00000CAA7CE24F9C_zpse0ec336f.jpg

Just do it. read the directions and go. Check powder when you place the boolit.

Recluse
05-20-2013, 09:58 PM
Well, I decided to go with everyone's advice and bought one with both small and large primer feeder, scale comes with it along with the Auto Disc powder measure, riser and a few other goodies. Love them toys!

I'm not a fan of Lee's adjustable charge bar as it has given me way too many problems. However, others have found a way to address the problem and are in love with the thing. I may hunt mine down and give it another try.

As far as the discs go, they're absolutely bullet-proof. When you get your set-up in, should you have any questions or concerns, you're in the right place. Lots of hands-on experience setting that press and system up.

You're gonna enjoy it.

P.S. Gunoil, that is SLICK how you have your press set up with the lights and ramp. Big thumbs up!

44Vaquero
05-20-2013, 10:05 PM
Gunoil, What is the purpose of the rings attached to the back support column in your pic?

gunoil
05-20-2013, 10:55 PM
oh, i need to cut those off, they held a flex lite for a minute. Then i found the ebay lite from china and put a D cell kit on it from radio shack.