PDA

View Full Version : Help choosing scope for Savage 12 in .223

historicfirearms
05-19-2013, 01:00 PM
I picked up my new Savage 12 FVSS last week and need advice choosing a scope. I plan on using it mostly for target shooting, but might like to go on a prairie dog hunt someday. I live in Michigan and don't have much for long range shooting opportunities. There is supposedly a 600 yard range being built within a half hour drive, and I can go out to 275 yd on my property. My goal with the rifle is to improve my rifle shooting skills.

I'd like to spend less than $500 on the scope, so was thinking about one of the SWFA SS scopes or maybe a Weaver T series, both fixed power. Would a 24X scope work for my purpose, or should I save up for a good variable power? Any advice would be appreciated.

Doc Highwall
05-19-2013, 01:35 PM
If you are going to mostly shoot target shoot I would get a 36X Weaver scope and call it quits.

remy3424
05-20-2013, 11:41 AM
If you ever get to shoot prairie dags you'll want a variable power scope....you can pick up a used 6-18X Nikon Buckmaster in the mid $200s often or used Leupolds IIIs in 6-20X for that $500ish mark.

W.R.Buchanan
05-21-2013, 03:30 PM
Yeah: if 600 yards is going to be the furthest you can shoot I would recommend a 3-9X, 3.5-10 or 4-12x variable scope. A Leupold VX-R Patrol series scope would be money well spent.

I just mounted one on my Ruger GSR. It has all of the magnification you'll need and the versitility you'll want as your uses for the gun grow.

High fixed power scopes are great for one specific use but when things change ,,,they can't and yu're stuck. A 36X scope would be real neat right up to about 10 AM, but as soon as the world starts to heat up all you would see is the constant mirage of heat waves.

A good quality variable is the best way to go for a rifle that can be used for diferent tasks

Randy

historicfirearms
05-21-2013, 10:02 PM
At about what temperature does the heat mirage start affecting high magnification scopes? I've got a bushnell 6-18x and don't see much for heat mirage, but have never used anything more powerful and don't remember how hot it was. Where I live, 80 degrees is pretty hot and I would not be shooting in anything warmer than that.

W.R.Buchanan
05-21-2013, 11:27 PM
I wouldn't personally wouldn't go for anything above 12X unless the gun was somthing like an F Class Rifle I would shoot at 1000 yards or more. I live out west and temp does play a big part out here when temps can go over 100 F easily.

However High magnification optics are affected by more than just heat. They also magnify haze and any other atmospheric anomaly.

Do you have a spotting scope? or borrow one from a friends and see how the higher powers affect your viewing. You can see what a rifle scope will do in your region by viewing in different weather conditions with the higher powers of a spotting scope.

In any event I would go with the variable power scope. it is just more versitle, in fact why don't you try the 6-18 you already have and see if it works for you on your new gun.

Randy

historicfirearms
05-27-2013, 08:18 AM
I mounted the bushnell 6-18 and got to do a little shooting this weekend. I learned that 18x isn't going to be enough magnification for the type of shooting I want to do. 24 or maybe 36 power should do it.

W.R.Buchanan
05-27-2013, 03:36 PM
There ya go. Now you know what you're are looking for. Narrows the search down somewhat doesn't it?

Randy

country gent
05-27-2013, 05:50 PM
My "long Range" test scope was a Leupold LRT 6.5-20 I used it on several rifle ( both for cmpitition and to test diffrent rifles) I had 2 of these and they went on all my Long range rifles and were used to test rifles. Worked great a very good scope. Mirage is a result or moisture and heat combined. I have shot 1000yds with the scopes all the way up and had days with them down around 15 power also. Depends on the conditions. Wind affects mirage also, at about 7-10 miles an hour mirage lays flat and somewhat disappears. Mirage is your friend It is the easiest way of reading winds/breezes over diatance. Another trick testing a rifle load combination is use the square benchrest targets. Dont center the crosshairs but Bracket the corner in the cross hairs corner. This can be seen and repeated even at lower magnifications very easiy. I also sight in 3"-4" high this way group forming dosnt disturb the aiming point. While you dont "see" bullet hole with the eye normally a group forming can give a bullseye an out of round appearence. same with a build up of target pasters.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
05-27-2013, 06:05 PM
I once traded for a mossberg that a fellow had had a Shelan (SP?) put on and a 6X20 Leupold. The mossberg went bye bye about as soon as I vould get it gone and I'll always wondered why anyone would start with a mossberg to build that kind of combination.

However, the 6X20 soon got traded or sold due to the fact it just wasn't usable in warm weather.

I under stand those folk who call for the high power scope, but WOW, I can see nothing but problems with them

I built up a newe RUGER #1 in .223 years back and put a 10X Weaver on it, because earlier I'd had a nice 10X Lyman on a #1 - 22/250.

That old Lyman was a clear scope with fine cross hairs and a great combination on the 22/250.

However, the Weaver, even though clear, would not allow for use at close range like could be found when walking up varmits of one kind or another.

That Weaver was traded for a 10X Leupold and it was great from close to far, clear and sharp and very usable.

As was said earlier, you really need to think about what the main reason is for this rifle/scope combination. If it is only for long range shooting, there could be one answer, but if it is to be used in a range of applications including some shooting at greater distances, then a 6X20 from a maker of at least Leupold quality is likely the answer.

I didn't like it due to the problems with heat, but with the 6X setting that should not normally be a big issue.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

MattOrgan
05-27-2013, 07:15 PM
Are you looking to improve your bench skills? If so 16x to 24x is nice in a fixed scope. Field work is another question and I've always found 10x is the practical maximum in fixed. The field of view alone makes it harder to locate your target quickly. Your trembles and movements are magnified with higher power, as is the wind vibrating your rifle. Variables work better in the field. A good combination for a .223 is something like the 3.5 to 10x, and for a bench/field gun the extended target knobs are a great option. Allows quick, accurate, and repetable adjustments. I have an 'F' class style rifle in .300 Win Mag that has a Leupold 6.5x20 with target knobs that I've used for everthing from rockchucks, 1,000 yard,competition, "sniper" shoots with moving targets, deer and elk. The 6.5 x20 is excellent for this type of rifle. 6.5x for movers and most game, 20x at the bench,1,000 yards, varmints, almost never in between those two settings. Get one with parallex adjustment wouldn't concern myself much with mirage other that figure out where it has "moved" your target. Mirage is a great way to judge the wind too. I do have a 36x fixed on a 6mm PPC but is primarily a bench gun and is fun to shoot. I guess after all of this rambling that I would probably go with the Leupold 6.5x20, would cover anything, and its size wouldn't be a factor on your Savage. Money spent on good optics is never wasted.

historicfirearms
05-28-2013, 03:55 PM
There ya go. Now you know what you're are looking for. Narrows the search down somewhat doesn't it?

Randy

Sure does, thanks.

Doc Highwall
05-28-2013, 08:17 PM
Because you said that you plan on using it mostly for target shooting out to 275 yards on your property is why I said go with the 36X power Weaver "T" series. I think this scope would be hard to beat for the money.

Yes I agree with the mirage being a factor in seeing some days, but you can always start to shoot earlier in the morning before the sun gets too hot.

Another scope would be something that starts at 8X and goes to 32X, but finding one that will tract and hold a zero like a Weaver T Series I am not sure what to recommend for $500.00.