PDA

View Full Version : TC Hawken wedge

DCP
05-19-2013, 08:59 AM
I have TC Hawken rifle

Does it matter which (side) the barrel wedge goes in?

curator
05-19-2013, 09:34 AM
All my T/C side lock guns have the wedge go in left to right. In other words from the lock-screw side. In the day, all pins, screws, and barrel wedges went in from one side-opposite the lock. Today anything goes. If it works from either side--who cares?

TCLouis
05-19-2013, 12:48 PM
Left to right would make it where the smoothest side of the wedge was where the palm of a right shooters hand would likely be.

mooman76
05-19-2013, 01:48 PM
Whatever fells best for you.

smoked turkey
05-19-2013, 02:37 PM
I agree that whatever is best for you AND your particular rifle. In my case the wedge seems to hold the barrel more securely one way or the other and I go that way. In my rifles I can sometimes push the wedge out with my thumb which is too loose. I will check just how mine goes and all things being equal I would like them to go from left to right since that is apparently the "standard" way. I am glad to know that so I learned something new to me on this thread. Thanks.

wgr
05-19-2013, 10:03 PM
Just do it the same way every time

fouronesix
05-19-2013, 11:47 PM
I agree that whatever is best for you AND your particular rifle. In my case the wedge seems to hold the barrel more securely one way or the other and I go that way. In my rifles I can sometimes push the wedge out with my thumb which is too loose. I will check just how mine goes and all things being equal I would like them to go from left to right since that is apparently the "standard" way. I am glad to know that so I learned something new to me on this thread. Thanks.

As others have posted, the "common or standard" way is insert on the left so the head is on the left side and is more exposed to rubbing/bumping thus theoretically better for right hand carry. Whether all that proves out in real life- I don't know. I try to adjust mine not too loose and not too tight but just right :) Judicious (light tap or two) with a ball peen hammer on wood block to bend the wedge is all that is needed to fine tune the fit. Depending on type of wedge, years ago I started filing a small slot lengthwise or drilling a swallow dimple in the end of the wedge. That way I can use a small, thin screwdriver or thin, pointed punch to remove the wedge without damage to the stock or the escutcheon. I also add a small notch on the top edge of the head to ID up or down when re-inserting. For those rifles with two wedges, I'll file a notch on the forward top edge of the head for the front wedge and a notch on the rear top edge of the head for the rear wedge.