PDA

View Full Version : Ready to purchase a swagging solution

iroquois
05-19-2013, 02:59 AM
Hello, I'm new to castboolits.

I'm finding the science behind bullet swagging extremely interesting and I decided to move forward with this expensive hobby. :)
I've been researching the Corbin's site (very resourceful) for a couple of months, CH-4D dies sets, and the RCE Walnut hill press.
After working on the budget and looking at all the options, I decided to start purchasing the Corbin press and dies next week. I found the Corbin options does everything I'm interested in.
I'm interested in swagging .224 and .308 from copper tubing.
During my research for making copper jackets I discovered castboolits. Very cool forum BTW.
I'm now hesitating with Corbin's after seeing BTSnipers setup. I was very impressed with the video BTSniper provided. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vb99ON0KHFs
Does anyone know if he seated the core prior to forming the tip? It appears to be a one step operation.

I've tried to contact BTSniper but I can only imagine how busy he is. :)
Has anyone here worked with BTSniper swagging solutions and can give me some feedback?

Thanks,

I

plus1hdcp
05-19-2013, 02:44 PM
Hello, I'm new to castboolits.

I'm interested in swagging .224 and .308 from copper tubing.
During my research for making copper jackets I discovered castboolits. Very cool forum BTW.
I'm now hesitating with Corbin's after seeing BTSnipers setup. I was very impressed with the video BTSniper provided. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vb99ON0KHFs
Does anyone know if he seated the core prior to forming the tip? It appears to be a one step operation.

I've tried to contact BTSniper but I can only imagine how busy he is. :)
Has anyone here worked with BTSniper swagging solutions and can give me some feedback?
I

Welcome to the forum. Let's see if I can start you off with a couple of answers before others chime in.

I can only speak of BT dies which I am in the process of purchasing. As you know these aren't from copper tubing but rather from derimmed 22lr. Cast lead or lead wire is used for the core which is seated into the 22lr cases, so there is a step which is not visible prior to point forming.

BT will get in contact with you but as you stated, he is busy.

I purchased his 22lr swaging "kit" and can only give you partial feedback as the remaining dies to complete the package is in the final stages of completion. He provided a partial shipment of dies/equipment to allow me and others to begin the preparation process. My feedback is the equipment provided is top quality and I look forward to receiving the balance of the dies. Others speak fondly of different swaging products of his and I encourage you to take some time to review this forum as well as his vendor site.

I am using a Lee Cast Press but look forward to upgrading to a dedicated swage press in the future and I would like to expand into larger calibers.

Hope this helps some and again, welcome to the forum.

scarry scarney
05-20-2013, 03:37 PM
BT's 308 setup can use 5.7 brass, or if you get draw down dies, you can even use spent .223 brass. IMHO, spent 223 brass is easier to obtain and cheaper than copper tubbing. My 308 dies are on orders, so I cant compare it to the 223 dies.

khmer6
05-21-2013, 02:44 PM
Don't destroy those beautiful 5.7 brass, send them to me to reuse :D

johnson1942
05-21-2013, 06:40 PM
iroquois: check your private messages