PDA

View Full Version : Boolits with out a crimp grove in a revolver?

flipajig
05-19-2013, 12:58 AM
I have a NOE 358135 I got to thinking that this would work good in a 38spc. Has anyone tried this the only thing that I can think of that would cause a problem is Boolit jump from recoil.
Flip

leftiye
05-19-2013, 05:33 AM
Yup, that's where the problem will be. Unless you crimp over the ogive shoulder (if there is one). Seated length makes drastic differences in pressure generated in pistols, so don't just do whatever without adjusting powder charges. I won't use a boolit in a revolter without a good crimp in a groove or over a shoulder. I suppose you could use a Lee factory crimp die to impress the crimp into the boolit.

opos
05-19-2013, 08:31 AM
Way long time ago I got a bag of Remington J words from a friend. They were a 130 (I think) grain in .358 diameter and I figured to load them up for plinking in my GP100 as 38 specials. I had the same dilemma as you ... no cannelure so what to do. I had printed data that was "close" for case length, components and COL for a couple of powders so figured to give it a go. I loaded the first "test" batch with 231 and loaded fairly light (I don't quote receipes) but they were on the light side. All went ok and accuracy was fairly good. I did use a Lee FCD to crimp them being careful to taper crimp fairly firmly and not roll crimp into the jacket..The loads were not too dirty but dirtier than a similar load using 125 grain J word and similar powder loadings of 231 with a cannelure bullet and a firm roll crimp. I did step up the loads a bit over a test set of 6 cartridges per set and didn't have any issues with bullets working their way out of the case under recoil...but at the higher loads the accuracy was not as good. My thought is that if you have some that you got for cheap (or these days, all you could find) and just need some plinking rounds...why not? I did try a few rounds with a sort of roll crimp (slight) that didn't cut the jacket but did make an impression on it...it helped clean up the residue from firing but the accuracy was not as good. I think a nice and tight taper crimp with a FCD works ok.

Jack Stanley
05-19-2013, 09:14 AM
Years ago when using a large bore revolver in compitition I tried both taper crimp and the Redding profile crimp . With light loads I could crimp into a driving band of a bullet and it didn't seem to effect anything . As long as the bullet doesn't move from recoil it seemed to work just fine regardless of where or what the crimp was .

Jack

Bullshop
05-19-2013, 10:13 AM
Lyman/Ideal 454190 design and original factory 45 Colt of same design has been providing good service for over a century now.

williamwaco
05-19-2013, 10:15 AM
Yikes.

You have been reading too much.

You are not going to have bullet jump in a .38 Special!

Unless you forget to resize the cases.

Jupiter7
05-19-2013, 02:39 PM
I only crimp 38spl because I was getting flyers and powder scorching occasionally on case mouth. The FCD works well enough and eliminated flyers as long as I do my part.

flipajig
05-19-2013, 08:29 PM
Thanks for the replies. I have the Lee 125 RF which works in my 38 and 9mm. The NOE mold has the FP and the HP pins I was wanting a HP that I was able to shoot in a 38 and maybe a 357 also
With the HP it casts out real close to 125 grains if I remember right. So I was thinking why not try it in a 38 and if it works maybe in my 357.
Flip