PDA

View Full Version : Too much powder?

RikyRacr
05-19-2013, 12:01 AM
First, I apologize if this is not the right place for this question. I'm very new to the forum and to hand loading.
I have loaded 300 or so rounds of 9mm and 400 or so rounds of .38 Special. All have fired well with no issues. I thought I would try 50 rounds of .357 loads for my Ruger GP100. Well, I misread the recipe and used a jacketed bullet recipe for a 158 gr LSWC. I used 7.7 grains of Unique when I should have used around 6 grains. I'm thinking these are not safe. What do you think?
Second question. If, in fact, these are not safe, I would like to salvage as many of the components as possible. What is the best way to accomplish this?
Thanks in advance for any help and/or steering me in the right direction.

Sgtonory
05-19-2013, 12:10 AM
Get a kinetic bullet puller http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAvLAsyTVC0. Better be safe than sorry. You can save everthing

RikyRacr
05-19-2013, 12:30 AM
Get a kinetic bullet puller http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAvLAsyTVC0. Better be safe than sorry. You can save everthing

That is pretty cool! That is how much of NOOB I am. I had no idea.
Thanks for the info. I am going to look for one of these right now. I certainly agree with the better to be safe than sorry philosophy.

flipajig
05-19-2013, 01:06 AM
If you have already crimped them kinetic bullet puller may help you
There is another bullet puller it's called a collet bullet puller.
Flip

PS Paul
05-19-2013, 01:20 AM
This load- 158 gr. boolit with 7.7 gr. Unique, is listed in Alliant manual as just under max for a JSP in 357 at 33,900 psi. (not CUP).

Several manuals list 7.8 gr. as near max with jacketed bullets.

Although your Ruger is he** for stout, it is not normally prudent to start at max load levels without working up to that load first.

I do not like to post information about loads period. Many differing opinions and very easy to get "flamed" by others if you offer "advice" considered imprudent, unsafe, reckless or dangerous.

Therefore, if you have not worked up a load before using this max info, it would be prudent to pull that boolit and start anew.

RikyRacr
05-19-2013, 01:31 AM
This load- 158 gr. boolit with 7.7 gr. Unique, is listed in Alliant manual as just under max for a JSP in 357 at 33,900 psi. (not CUP).

Several manuals list 7.8 gr. as near max with jacketed bullets.

Although your Ruger is he** for stout, it is not normally prudent to start at max load levels without working up to that load first.

I do not like to post information about loads period. Many differing opinions and very easy to get "flamed" by others if you offer "advice" considered imprudent, unsafe, reckless or dangerous.

Therefore, if you have not worked up a load before using this max info, it would be prudent to pull that boolit and start anew.

Thank you. I'll take that advice.

And thank you to the other gentlemen that posted.

ukrifleman
05-19-2013, 02:19 PM
I agree with the previous posts, if in doubt DON'T! Pull the bullets and start again and add this to you database of knowledge.
It take minutes to load a round and nano-seconds after you squeeze the trigger to realise you got it wrong.
Well done to ask the question in the first place, it proves you have your brain in gear!
ukrifleman.

44Vaquero
05-19-2013, 03:21 PM
Lee's modern reloading lists a max of 6.8 grains of Unique under a 158 gr. lswc, by all means pull the bullets!

Patricklaw
05-21-2013, 09:28 AM
First, I apologize if this is not the right place for this question. I'm very new to the forum and to hand loading.

First of all, welcome. This is a great place and I've learned a lot here in the past year though I've been loading and casting for years.

Your 7.7 load of Unique is published on Alliant's website with the Gold Dot Hollow Point (GDHP) as the bullet. It is however, the max load. The same site lists 6.0 as the max for you LSWC boolit. It's generally accepted that lead boolits are slicker than copper (in the barrel) and I suspect the reduced load has more to do with leading (depositing material from the boolit in the barrel during firing).

Generally, the starting load is max - 15%, so on the 6 grain load, 5.1.

The official advice is buy two loading manuals and read them cover to cover and begin with the starting load. "Ladder up" your loads point two (0.2) grains at a time. You only need to load 3-5 at each charge point (rung on the ladder). Look for pressure signs as described in the manuals and work your way up. And of course, pull all the ones that you've loaded.

BUT, I hate pulling bullets. Follow the instructions above and ladder up to your original load, assuming that you've carefully evaluated each rung to determine that it is safe in YOUR gun. Once you've laddered up to the original load, the ones that you have already made may be considered safe to shoot. If you have pressure signs or leading before that rung on the ladder we're back to pulling them.

Stay safe

Rex
05-22-2013, 10:15 AM
My Lyman #45 lists 8 grains Unique with a 158 cast bullet in 357. I have shot 7 grains for years with good results. I believe Speer #8 also lists 8 grains with 158 grain bullet.

RikyRacr
05-22-2013, 04:18 PM
Thanks everyone!

What a great community and resource. Especially for a noob, (like me).