PDA

View Full Version : case prep

mister c
05-18-2013, 04:04 PM
I have several 3006 brass cases that have been loaded 3x some of which have slight rings marks on the case heads where they go against the bolt and firing pin, is this a concern? thankyou.....................mister c.

country gent
05-18-2013, 09:33 PM
Are these marks on the flat of the case head where the ids are or around the outside of the body? SOme pics would be helpfull

mister c
05-19-2013, 12:47 AM
they are on the bottom of the case where the ID is (WIN). sorry icant send pictures.

TNsailorman
05-19-2013, 08:07 PM
Look at your bolt face and tell us if you have a ridges/rings showing on it. Maybe some unborned powder granules or metal bits embedded on it. Otherwise take a look at your shell holder and see if it has roughness or burrs on it where the case slides into the holder. Without a picture or more info it will be hard to tell by the amount of info you provided.

wv109323
05-19-2013, 10:28 PM
Also if you have a bolt that rotates when it goes into ( and out of) battery it will leave marks on the head of the brass. That is nothing to worry about.

country gent
05-19-2013, 10:30 PM
A pitted bolt face can have this effect to. Though I dont believe it will be an issue loading. WIth-out more info its hard to say. WHat load are you shooting? Were these factory loads? Do all cases show the ring or just some? IS was there a chance they were there before firing and not noticed? Check these cases dimensionally agains other batches as to head size ( dia just ahead of the extractor groove) length, Headspace if possible. See if there are any major diffrences. I have seen rifles leave marks on case heads after blowing or piercing a a primer. the hot gasses cut pit the bolt face making a rough spot to rub.

mister c
06-04-2013, 12:48 AM
the bolt face had granules stuck to it (tiny), I cleaned the bolt face. I hope that was my problem, my rifle is a mod 70 Winchester 1972 bought new..........mister c thanks everyone for the help.