PDA

View Full Version : Another SLOW Rust Blue Saga!

seagiant
05-18-2013, 02:43 PM
Hi,
Finally got around to finishing my "Retro" 1911! I had problems last time when I blued my Ruger BH. I put it down to not getting the parts as clean as I should! To fix this I changed formulas from Pilkingtons to Laural Mountain as it has a built in degreaser already in it and I also boiled the parts after bead blasting in a water degreaser solution for about 30 min.

This seamed to cure my troubles as this job came out pretty good. Even though I live in FL I built a "damp box" so I can get a cycle every three hours as this speeds things up! The Laural Mountain seems to give a darker hue than the color I was getting from thePilkington's and I believe it is what I will use from now on! Oh yes,the grips are Ahern DD Ebonys!

DLCTEX
05-19-2013, 02:05 AM
How many applications did you make?

seagiant
05-19-2013, 08:21 AM
Hi,
I actually did about 8 cycles! I thought at first I could get away with half of that but the parts kept rusting and I wanted to take the process as far as it would go! There is always some mis-match coloring at first and the farther you can go the better it blends out!

My camera is really bad and does not show the colors well. The pistol actually has a very nice deep biue and will be a keeper for me!