PDA

View Full Version : Propane Fish Fryer at Bass Pro Shops -- $29.99

Mark1174
05-18-2013, 11:08 AM
Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I thought the forum members might be interested.

Bass Pro Shops here in Ft. Lauderdale just advertised a propane fish frying setup for $29.99. 10 qt. aluminum pot, basket, thermometer, burner and stand with regulator. Seems like a good deal for the burner and stand alone. Gonna check it out for smelting. I assume this is in their ads at all locations.

I don't work for BPS... just passing this along.

Bigslug
05-19-2013, 03:11 PM
I looked at the BPS burners at our local store a few weeks back and will be picking one up soon. Haven't made the final pick yet.

The one thing I noticed was that all of Bass Pro's single burner "stand fryers" of this type all seem to use the same burner - the difference is in stand, housing, and what pots and accessories come with it.

Look with an eye toward stability of the stand and resistance to wind blowing your heat away. They've got a similar unit for $90 that comes with a lidded cast-iron dutch oven that may be more useful to our smelting purposes than the aluminum the $30 unit has. Probably not worth the difference in and of itself, but it might be a sturdier base to support the extra weight.

Spud
05-19-2013, 10:30 PM
You'll be better off with something in stainless steel or cast iron. Aluminum can burn thru. Some have lost a whole batch. Not me. I use cast iron.

tengaugetx
05-20-2013, 01:35 PM
That's what I use to heat mine. It regulates real well. I have an old cast iron skillet I use on top.

WGSNewnan
05-21-2013, 02:06 PM
You'll be better off with something in stainless steel or cast iron. Aluminum can burn thru. Some have lost a whole batch. Not me. I use cast iron.
you are right sir - just bought this very unit. thought i would try the aluminum pot that came with it. I now have a stand covered in lead and a large puddle on the ground. looking for a nice cast pot to use now. live and learn i guess.

Yes i am a novice so dont laugh too hard.

Matt_G
05-21-2013, 08:55 PM
They are nice setups for melting WW's.
Sturdy enough to hold in excess of 200 pounds as well.
As others have said, don't use the aluminum pot that comes with it for lead...

gimling
05-24-2013, 07:12 PM
I bought fish fryer a couple months ago for same deal. only issue I have had is the plastic regulator is kinda finiky sometimes doesn't open. I don't use the pot though I went to Harbor freight and bought this http://www.harborfreight.com/12-inch-cast-iron-dutch-oven-44705.html can hold ALOT of lead think I put in about 70 pounds and was just over halfway full. (was afraid to add anymore stability issues).

izzyjoe
05-24-2013, 09:05 PM
i found a fish cooker that someone threw away at the dump, the burner part still work's, but the stand looks flimsy. so i tested it by sitting on it, it colapsed with me, and i'm skinny. i'm gona beef up the leg's, and use it for melting down WW's.

WGSNewnan
05-26-2013, 08:32 AM
I bought fish fryer a couple months ago for same deal. only issue I have had is the plastic regulator is kinda finiky sometimes doesn't open. I don't use the pot though I went to Harbor freight and bought this http://www.harborfreight.com/12-inch-cast-iron-dutch-oven-44705.html can hold ALOT of lead think I put in about 70 pounds and was just over halfway full. (was afraid to add anymore stability issues).
I got the cast pot also. Thank you for that also. seems very good for the price. I also noticed the plastic regulator being finicky. seems like it is designed that way. I figured I could leave the regulator adjusted for a set temp and just turn the bottle on and off to keep from having adjust it each time. No deal. Every time I try to do that the regulator must be turned completely off and then turned back on for it to work. Must be designed that way.

Matt_G
05-26-2013, 09:37 AM
Must be designed that way.

I don't think so. Mine worked as a regulator should for quite a while; then it started exhibiting the kind of behavior you all have described. It's a real PITA right now and I am going to have to replace it me thinks...