PDA

View Full Version : Questions from a perspective "swager"

Calpoly93
05-18-2013, 12:47 AM
So, looking at the corbin website. I think that making .30 caliber bullets will cost a fortune and take a bit if work, a press and several dies.
Jackets cost a lot, and using regular tubing use $1,000 dies, just for the jackets.
Corbin is asking over 0.20 per jacket, which seems to eat up an savings...

What am I missing here? Can it be done for a reasonable price? Will it take me 25 years to save the money on bullets I spent on equipment?

Thanks for your advice and help!
Steve

Utah Shooter
05-18-2013, 01:23 AM
If you are looking for savings it may not be the correct endeavor for you!

I make mine because I can and they out shoot anything else I have put through my rifle.

JRLesan
05-18-2013, 07:17 AM
Forget saving money, it's not going to happen. If you have an odd, unavailable, or super expensive caliber that you shoot a lot or a lot of disposable income, then go for it.

Lizard333
05-18-2013, 09:15 AM
Saving money is for the birds. 😎 Swage your own jacketed bullets because of to times like this when availability is next to zero, and no one can tell you can't. It's really rewarding sitting at my press making jacketed bullets when everyone else is freaking out. In addition to supply and demand, you have the potential to make better bullets than you can buy, or custom bullets you can't get commercially.

mold maker
05-18-2013, 10:31 AM
I saved so much money casting, swaging, and reloading, that I get mail addressed to "The Poor House".

Reload3006
05-18-2013, 05:09 PM
you can save money a ton of it if you shoot a lot of .224 or 6mm because you can make your own out of spent 22 rimfire brass. They arent as accurate as J4 or sierra jacketed bullets but they hop a can just fine. And when you can't buy any bullets like a lot of folks cant now that investment in equipment doesn't seem so expensive now. But like others have said if you are just looking at saving money. Get rid of all your reloading gear because you can buy tula and Wolf Sellier and beloit ammo cheaper than you can buy the components to load it yourself. .

Say what you cant find any of that stuff? ..... That is why I swage and hand load.

Calpoly93
05-19-2013, 01:12 AM
Thanks for the answers guys... makes sense! I guess part of me was hoping someone would say, "oh, you forgot XYZ where you can use 20' sections of copper pipe from Home Depot with that same equipment and make the same stuff...oh well!

As a followup, can Corbin dies be used in RCE presses?
Is the lube I read about similar to Dillon case lube? (Lanolin)
What about the copper listed? are there other sources?

Jupiter7
05-19-2013, 01:51 PM
Thanks for the answers guys... makes sense! I guess part of me was hoping someone would say, "oh, you forgot XYZ where you can use 20' sections of copper pipe from Home Depot with that same equipment and make the same stuff...oh well!

As a followup, can Corbin dies be used in RCE presses?

Is the lube I read about similar to Dillon case lube? (Lanolin)
What about the copper listed? are there other sources?

Ah-ha... Here's your save xyz...order draw dies and swaging dies from BT. Turn 9mm into 30 jackets. I shoot 50-100 rounds a week. Even at a modest $20 per 100 for factory plinkers thats $40-$80 month,sans tax & shipping, assuming they are in stock even. I'll order dies to do same in future after a sturdy add on for my bench and a new press. Here's a link for reference:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?109892-BTSniper-308-custom-die-progress!

hardcase54
05-19-2013, 05:15 PM
Because it is more fun than a barrel of monkeys.