PDA

View Full Version : I'm the only one shooting

got_lead?
05-17-2013, 11:17 PM
I seem to be the only one shooting these days. The weather has been beautiful here in Oregon for the last three weekends. Normally the woods are full of shooters on nice days like these. But the woods have been silent. I'm the only one who seems to be shooting these days. Thank goodness for cast boolits and reloading equipment.

Sgtonory
05-17-2013, 11:35 PM
Same around where i am. I see people shooting way less and most of them are reloaders. I know i shoot as much as i want.

zidave
05-17-2013, 11:49 PM
It's kinda the same thing around her. Pretty much the only people that show up at the range when I'm there are people zeroing in their rifles with less than 10 shots and reloaders.

I kinda like it but still sad times

Boolseye
05-18-2013, 09:07 AM
Same here!

41 mag fan
05-18-2013, 09:13 AM
Pretty much that way around here too. There's a few people down the road that shoot it up when they can get the ammo, then they're done till the next time they can get their hands on some.
My neighbor behind me, we used to communicate thru shooting...I'd start, then he'd start, and vice versa. But he's been sick lately, diabetes, cancer, 76 yrs old, it's all catching up to him. Kind of lonely me being the only one shooting these days.

btroj
05-18-2013, 09:15 AM
My club seems to be getting plenty of use.

Trey45
05-18-2013, 09:15 AM
I noticed the same around here. So I quit shooting as much. I don't want everyone to know I have ammo! That sounds paranoid doesn't it....

daniel lawecki
05-18-2013, 09:25 AM
I see the same 5 members on are club sign in sheet. We have 1000 plus members me I shoot 4-5 times a week. Maybe the reloading & ammo and lack of supplies is big factor in this lack of shooting

10mmShooter
05-18-2013, 09:57 AM
I've dialed back my shooting, given the current environment, I have plenty of powder and primers to feed all my calibers and thousands of rounds loaded already. For now I shoot a lot of little .32 SW longs...nice little 100g lead bullet about 3 grs of AA#5 that round is easily on my lead and powder inventory compared to slinging a 250g bullet downrange out of the 44, and I shoot my little 10/22 a lot now I actually have 22 ammo :) . The 10mm 44 and .357 the SK and AK and my .308 all stay in the safe

Its just uncertain times..having just turned 50 I want to be able to shoot for the rest of my lifetime hopefully another 30 years, so that should give you and idea of where I want my inventory to levels to get to before I go out blasting, I've looked back over my reloading logs for the past 20 years projected that level of shooting out for another 30years, and am building my inventory accordingly. As we all know loaded rounds properly stored will easily last 50 years

I think this is whats driving a lot of the craziness a lot of us now realize that things may not ever get any better, so everyone is grabbing everything they can find to stash away into inventory, this time is definitely different.

got_lead?
05-18-2013, 10:16 AM
When I was a young fellow of about 20, I didn't make as much money but shooting was pretty affordable then and supplies were plentiful. Wheel weights were always readily available at scrap yards for 25 cents per pound, and I used to get a hundred pounds whenever I needed. I really didn't need to look further. Powder and primers were always at the local sporting goods counter. In high school a friend of mine introduced me to shooting 22's. we would stop at Payless drugs on the way to the shooting spot to pick up a few boxes of Winchesters for around a dollar each and then then plink away the rest of the afternoon.

Shooting supplies were in short supply during the Second World War as well, and gave opportunities to industrious individuals like Vernon Speer to start their own bullet companies. Maybe someday things will normalize. Or on the other hand maybe it will be like the movie "The Road Warrior". I hope not.

texassako
05-18-2013, 11:04 AM
I seem to be one of the few shooters I know that still shoots as often as I have enough free time (half a day once a week usually). I have seen more new gun owners than usual this spring, and friends I thought would never be gun owners have purchased handguns. I have seen a lot more one box and done on the pistol line, and a lot of comments that they are just shooting what they can find.

slim1836
05-18-2013, 11:12 AM
I stopped by the local range on Mothers Day and was the only one on the 50 yard range. the 100 yard range had 1 shooter, the 30 had a few and the 25 had a few. This was @ 10AM and the range is normally buzzing with shooters.

By the time I left at 12:30, 3 shooters were on the 50 and 3 on the 100.

This is where I plan to be next year on Mothers Day.

I love my cast boolits,

Slim

otter5555
05-18-2013, 11:47 AM
i'm the only one shooting here also. ooops, just me and the elk,deer and bear :)

Jupiter7
05-18-2013, 02:32 PM
Since the recent insanity, I've weened myself off factory ammo completely. I started casting a few months ago. I shoot more now. Roughly 100+ pistol and 50 rifle a week, sans 22LR.

btroj
05-18-2013, 02:46 PM
I want people to keep shooting. As a berm picker I need people to donate to my cause.

Does that make me selfish?

zidave
05-18-2013, 04:20 PM
I want people to keep shooting. As a berm picker I need people to donate to my cause.

Haha me too!

BBQJOE
05-18-2013, 04:45 PM
I went to my range today too.
It sits in the middle of 80 acres in the high desert. Dirt berms, metal targets everywhere, with no rules, no hours, and no RO.
There's never any worry about getting swept or shot by a careless stranger. The range is in whatever condition I say it is in. I also don't have to stop when I'm on a good roll so someone else can mess with their targets.
I get to keep all the brass and lead I can find.
I was all alone.

I love owning land. :-)

Smoke4320
05-18-2013, 04:58 PM
with the prices of ammo when you can find it and no primers or powder to be readly had most people are backing off