PDA

View Full Version : .358 Boolits for someone startin' out!

PS Paul
05-17-2013, 04:25 PM
I have the RCBS 150 KT mold which casts VERY NICE 150 gr. plain-based SWC Keith-style boolits. The alloy is around 20-1 lead to tin, so somewhere around 10-12 BHN, more or less. These boolits work really well at around 800 to 1,200 fps or so. I don't shoot them at "blinding speeds" like some of the gas-checked boolits I cast, so a .38 spl. load or mid-range .357 magnum load is where this boolit shines!

I've got 200 of these sized and lubed. I would like to share with someone who is starting out reloading and wants to try this boolit on for size.

I don't have anything clever to offer like riddles, Q&A or multiple-choice tests (Ha-Ha!!)to determine who takes 'em, ONLY that they are kinda new and want to give these a whirl.

They are truly one of my very favorite boolits in .357 mag and are a real joy to shoot in .38 spl. as well.

First "I'll take it" will get them.

PS Paul
05-17-2013, 08:29 PM
I might add they are sized and lubed with Carnauba Red and treated with my usual "kindness and loving care". he he.

RikyRacr
05-18-2013, 11:39 PM
I'll take them! Just started reloading a month ago or so.

RikyRacr
05-18-2013, 11:44 PM
I have been loading a 158 gr Keith style LSWC for my .357 and really like it. Also load the same bullet in .38 Special brass with good results. I just load light target loads with 800fps in .38 Special and 1000fps in the .357.

PS Paul
05-18-2013, 11:59 PM
Terrfic! Boolits go to Mr. Ricky Racer. Please PM with your address and I will send 'em out on Tuesday!

Paul

RikyRacr
05-19-2013, 12:08 AM
Terrfic! Boolits go to Mr. Ricky Racer. Please PM with your address and I will send 'em out on Tuesday!

Paul

Thank you!

I will PM you as requested.

Also, I posted a question titled "Too much powder?" In the cast bullet section, (I think). Maybe you could take a look and let me know what you think?

PS Paul
05-28-2013, 06:32 PM
So RikyRacer has been sent the boolits. This worked just as designed since he is a somewhat new caster/reloader, but I've also been able to help with some other data since I sent the boolits.

Many thanks to Brass Magnet and others who helped get this part of the forum rolling! I know for FACT this has helped a couple of good folks out immensely and has made me happy to just be part of it and share my 26+ years of doing this with some folks too!

Bravo, men. Bravo!
Paul

RikyRacr
06-02-2013, 10:56 PM
So RikyRacer has been sent the boolits. This worked just as designed since he is a somewhat new caster/reloader, but I've also been able to help with some other data since I sent the boolits.

Many thanks to Brass Magnet and others who helped get this part of the forum rolling! I know for FACT this has helped a couple of good folks out immensely and has made me happy to just be part of it and share my 26+ years of doing this with some folks too!

Bravo, men. Bravo!
Paul

Yep, boolits are beautiful. Was not able to get to the range today but next weekend for sure. Paul has gone above and beyond and has been a huge help and answered many questions. There is a lot to this boolit thing! I have gotten a couple of molds and hope to get my lead melter ordered later this week.

I hope to one day be knowledgable enough to do the same thing for folks just starting out in this hobby, (for lack of a better word at the moment).

BrassMagnet
06-02-2013, 11:19 PM
I hope to one day be knowledgable enough to do the same thing for folks just starting out in this hobby, (for lack of a better word at the moment).

This is why I like to compare shooting to lapidary.
Lots of people in the lapidary hobby thought they had a gold mine and refused to teach any youngsters how to grind and polish rocks and make them into jewelry.
I hear the average age of people doing lapidary is 80+.
In shooting, the old guys teach the young guys. When "us old guys" are gone or too feeble to continue, there will be a new crop of "us old guys" to continue.
Thanks RikyRacr for coming out to learn.

BrassMagnet

RikyRacr
06-02-2013, 11:28 PM
This is why I like to compare shooting to lapidary.
Lots of people in the lapidary hobby thought they had a gold mine and refused to teach any youngsters how to grind and polish rocks and make them into jewelry.
I hear the average age of people doing lapidary is 80+.
In shooting, the old guys teach the young guys. When "us old guys" are gone or too feeble to continue, there will be a new crop of "us old guys" to continue.
Thanks RikyRacr for coming out to learn.

BrassMagnet

Haha! Thank you Sir. I am only a youngster in the hobby though. Not in life. Got a late start.....a really late start. But I promise to not be selfish and share everything I can with anyone foolish enough to listen to me.