PDA

View Full Version : Building an '03-A3

Bret4207
09-14-2007, 05:04 PM
So some of youze guys will recall my whining about not having a Krag or '03 to call my very own. :-( Well, I found a semi sporterized '03-A3 today. :-D All the previous owner did was add a Bishop stock, remove the sights front and rear and of course the barrel bands, etc. Drilled and tapped for a K-3 Weaver too. If I recall correctly those mounts fit over the rear sight mount without grinding or anything. Looking at GPC's catalog I figure other than $150.00 or so for a stock/handguard, less if I can find a used set, I'm looking at maybe $40-50.00 worth of parts. Does that sound right?

eka
09-15-2007, 09:04 AM
Like you, I have been scoping out the 03A3 parts market. I just bought an 03A3 Remington that had been lightly sporterized. I has a pretty nice looking sporter stock on it and can you believe it, they left the original sights on it. It has a nice 8-43 two groove barrel and about 95 percent finish with the exception of the bolt body. It looks as though they polished it. It could be restored to military form pretty easily. I paid $250.00 for it. From what I have been seeing, it looks like the metal will run me about $50.00 or so and the stocks are kinda all over the place. Stocks from $100.00 - $200.00 and handguards $25.00 - $40.00. The real problem I am having is, and I hate to admit it, but I have kinda taken a fancy to the sporter version. Am I turning into a Bubba? I have another 03A3 in military trim and it's a kinda nice having them both ways. Never the less, I think I'll go ahead and buy everything to put her back in uniform, just so I can if the guilt becomes too much to bare.:)

Keith

JSH
09-15-2007, 09:21 AM
Bret, I think I should have a few pieces and parts for an 03A3, screws bands buttplate etc. I think I have a new OEM handguard too. If you are intereted PM me.
Those small parts add up fast I found out.
Jeff

Bret4207
09-15-2007, 09:31 AM
Thanks guys. This one has the typical early 60's clunky Bishop stock which will be good checkering practice and the K-3 happens to be one of my favorite scopes. For $250.00 I might pick it up. Lets see what Monday brings and I'll go from there.

Jack Stanley
09-15-2007, 10:08 AM
Bret , I don't think you are going bubba on us . You may be just seeing the practical side of the issue . It is nice to have it both ways and it's even better when someone hasn't drilled and filed away at the rifle so you can put it back if you like .
My Bubba rifle is a number one mark three that had a broken fore stock and a .318" groove diameter . I was the one that put the plastic stocks on it , left the metal alone and bought a LBT mold just for the rifle . I still shoot it from time to time , but I did find a new stock set that I could put on it someday . I don't really need to 'cause while looking for the wood , I found another rifle [smilie=1:

Jack

Bret4207
09-16-2007, 09:38 AM
Jack- I sort of accidentally stuck a bubba'd #4 in a dark corner of the guys shop. 2 groove like new barrel. Maybe some day it'll come home with me and get the synthetic stock/scout scope mount set up. I love SMLE's. There a rusted, half stripped #4 there that might become a 45/70 someday too.