PDA

View Full Version : Why would I need a new reloading manual every year?

shaff1101
05-17-2013, 03:26 PM
What could possibly change each year? Are there changes in powder formulas?

blikseme300
05-17-2013, 03:43 PM
Welcome to castboolits. You don't "need" a new manual every year but you may "want" it as new editions typically include new products and information. Powder formulas typically don't change but variation between lots do occur and this is why loads may need to be reworked when using a different lot number product.

John Allen
05-17-2013, 03:47 PM
I buy the lyman one ever time they come out with a new one. I only buy new ones when I find one I do not have yet. I have about 12 manuals right now.

country gent
05-17-2013, 04:13 PM
I buy the new Lymanns when the new additions come out and several others when they change. Powders can change new powders, and calibers are added. Bullets are added. teqniques can change. Some data changes due to new testing procedures. I have manuals that dont list any of the wsm ruger or new pistol rounds in them. Things change things are added some are no longer recomended. A new manual gives you this information. I also like the one caliber books all the data in one source. I have manuls back into the 60s and you would be surprised how much data has changed from then to current.

km101
05-17-2013, 04:23 PM
Powders change from lot to lot, sometimes just a little, but sometimes the change is significant. In checking the load data for one of the cartridges that I load, there was enough difference from my current load to cause pressure problems if I maintained my current load. In a case like this, ignorance is NOT bliss. It probably wasn't enough to be dangerous, but who wants to chance it? If you change powder lots you need to check your load data in a current book. Even if you are not loading close to max loads. The new data may have you closer than you think! Current information is always better.

markinalpine
05-17-2013, 04:27 PM
Don't forget that most of the powder manufacturers and equipment makers provide up to date information on-line.
Mark :coffeecom

wv109323
05-17-2013, 09:39 PM
I don't think you need one every year. There are new powders hitting the market every year. Some may apply to what you load and some may not. Recent powders have added a couple hundred FPS to most calibers. Trailboss, Leverrevolution and e3 just to mention some of the recent stuff. Also there are new bullets for game with better controlled expansion and more bullets for Self defense that add performance.

05-17-2013, 10:36 PM
As with any hobby or interest, why would you not want to keep up with the latest information?

alamogunr
05-17-2013, 10:50 PM
If all I shoot is boolets, is there any reason to get a manual published by the bullet manufacturers ie. Hornady, Speer, etc.?

starmac
05-17-2013, 11:52 PM
I am sort of a manual nut I guess, but I tend to buy more old ones than new, though I do generally get a new one every time lyman comes out with it.

Duckiller
05-18-2013, 12:14 AM
You may want to get a new manual because a manufacturer significantly reduced some loads based on new data. I have an older Speer manual that has some really hot loads for a 357 MAG. Later manuals have much milder suggested loads. New data, new information, new suggested loads. You don't have to buy every new manual as soon as it comes out, but having 3 or 4 newer on hand is very useful.

shaff1101
05-18-2013, 12:50 AM
thanks guys for all the answers.

EDG
05-18-2013, 01:46 AM
Most data is not reshot between new manuals. All you get is a little new stuff.
If you are using an old cartridge-powder-bullet combination it is not likely to change for several manual revisions.
Some cartridges are so moribund the data is never reshot.

44Vaquero
05-18-2013, 02:34 AM
New cartridges and mothballed cartridges are often added in as they experience increases in popularity, same for new powders. I remember bugging Hornady over the phone several time back when the .32 magnum was very new. In fact one of the ballistic tech's actually faxed me a copy of their load development data sheet better than 2 years before it appeared in print! I still have it (folded in my Hornady reloading manual).

So maybe not every year but certainly every few years.

'74 sharps
05-18-2013, 07:22 AM
Don't forget that most of the powder manufacturers and equipment makers provide up to date information on-line.
Mark :coffeecom

+1 That's where I get my information. For smokeless powders, I use only Hodgdon's, and their site has everything I need.

A pause for the COZ
05-18-2013, 07:28 AM
If you already have new manuals maybe not. But I had read that there has been some pretty significant changes in how they test loads now.
The older Copper test only tested pressure at the case. But with the new testing methods they were finding a significant increase in pressure as the bullet was entering the rifling after firing. This resulted in some loads being lowered to account for the new data. Since I am not an expert, my best chance is to use the newest data available.

USMC87
05-18-2013, 09:03 AM
I keep up with new editions when they come out but you may not need to update for what you shoot.

tward
05-18-2013, 01:57 PM
I am kind of a manual nut, must have 20! Mostly to keep abreast of developments, some manuals use specific brands of powder, latest Speer manual reshot all the 22 Hornet data using small pistol primers. Tim

Shedhunter
05-18-2013, 11:35 PM
Don't need a new one every year but I do like having a nice selection on hand. Lyman cast boolit books are good ones for obvious reasons. I don't like depending on computers either.

starmac
05-19-2013, 01:21 AM
Every caliber I shoot or likely to shoot, has been around much longer than I have, some of my manuals are from at least the 60's. Is there any problem using data out of the older ones.

r1kk1
05-19-2013, 10:11 AM
Is there any problem using data out of the older ones.

Some of the cartridges I shoot are in the older manuals and been dropped in the newer ones. If the powders are still being produced, I have starting load data. I will also compare data between manuals and go with lowest charge for a given bullet as my starting load.

Take care

r1kk1

PB234
05-19-2013, 05:32 PM
I buy some new ones as needed and some old ones just because they are fun to read.

warf73
05-21-2013, 04:29 AM
Every caliber I shoot or likely to shoot, has been around much longer than I have, some of my manuals are from at least the 60's. Is there any problem using data out of the older ones.

Go to the powder manufacturers web site and compare it, they have changed some formulas over the past 15 years and your powder of choice might be one of them. Never hurts to double check.

starmac
05-21-2013, 01:18 PM
I have the latest manuals too, the problem with it is sometimes they do not even list the same powder as some of the older ones. Some of the older ones also list calibers that are not in the newer ones or on the websites too. Sometimes I enjoy just looking through them at the differences.