PDA

View Full Version : Called Lee, Seen Hoarder.

smokemjoe
05-17-2013, 11:09 AM
Called Lee and out of everthing, Did get the last 2 shell holders in stock for 8 MM lebel.
Went into Scheels Store last night, seen guy have 15 boxes of Rem. 30-06, 180 Gr. shells. I went to look at the shelves and 3 boxs left, sign there said only so many boxs to one customer, He took the max. This is Iowa, cant use deer rifles here, you kown he didnt reload and at $22.00 plus tax he isnt a big shooter, but he had a big smile on his face. Hoadrer.

jcwit
05-17-2013, 11:15 AM
He'll probably put them up for sale with the intent of just makin 'a few bucks', that is after all the meaning as to what the market will bare.

runfiverun
05-17-2013, 01:07 PM
woah, 22 bucks is a good price.
they go for around 29 here.

Stonecrusher
05-17-2013, 01:15 PM
Lee is not quite out of everything. I ordered online this am a new resevoir for my auto disk measure that I have been meaning to fix/replace for years! Woo Hoo! Now I don't have to worry about it falling off the measure when the threads finally let go. Was going to make one, but for $2 it wasn't worth it.

starmac
05-17-2013, 01:39 PM
15 box limit on ammo, is a pretty generous limit.

swheeler
05-17-2013, 06:06 PM
good for him, be prepared

plmitch
05-17-2013, 07:14 PM
good for him, be prepared

Well said!

imashooter2
05-17-2013, 08:19 PM
The guy bought 300 shots and you call him a hoarder? 300 shots isn't even a long weekend's worth of ammo. I daresay almost everyone here has more put away than that.

Heck, I have more than 300 '06 cases and I don't even own a rifle in the caliber.

btroj
05-17-2013, 08:25 PM
Buy what you can, when you can.

Just don't sell them in Indiana, it bugs people when a guy makes a profit there.

jcwit
05-17-2013, 08:51 PM

Just don't sell them in Indiana, it bugs people when a guy makes a profit there.

Not even going down this road, as I got in trouble for voicing my opinion twice already.

But there is a difference in making a profit and gouging for a profit. A lifetime in the retail business and the later part with my own business tells me so.

You may believe as you wish, you have my blessings.

41 mag fan
05-17-2013, 08:55 PM

It don't bug me....I don't buy factory rounds anyway unless they're shotgun or 22lr.

btroj
05-17-2013, 08:58 PM
Doesn't bother me any way I see it. Can't have gouging without a buyer.

15 boxes is a pretty high limit. Amazed it isn't much lower.

I should have checked out the IA city Scheels while I was there today. Then again, I just wanted to get home.

41 mag fan
05-17-2013, 09:06 PM
Doesn't bother me any way I see it. Can't have gouging without a buyer.

15 boxes is a pretty high limit. Amazed it isn't much lower.

I should have checked out the IA city Scheels while I was there today. Then again, I just wanted to get home.

It'll slow down one of these days Brad, might take awhile but it will, as long as we don't have another idiot try to get his fame and glory by doing a cowardly shooting of innocent people.
Some people get a bit out of sorts on people grabbing, then gouging prices. Well that's a free market for you. I don't like it anymore than you or anyone else, but there's only one way to stop the price gouging, and it seems like people are willing to pay those prices.
I myself, just hope this bubble bursts all at once and all these hoarders are left holding the bag...thats when me and alot of others will get the last laugh.

jcwit
05-17-2013, 09:20 PM
I myself, just hope this bubble bursts all at once and all these hoarders are left holding the bag...thats when me and alot of others will get the last laugh.

I hope to live long enough to see this happen.

btroj
05-17-2013, 09:29 PM
No different than speculation in any other commodity. Some make it big, some lose big.

I only buy for my own consumption so I am not worried. Those who bought lots for resale may get burned. Time will tell.

4719dave
05-17-2013, 10:16 PM
funny thing went into walmart they had 2 boxes of 40 s&w that was it ....

Blammer
05-17-2013, 10:20 PM
buy it cheap, stack it deep

Artful
05-17-2013, 10:29 PM
I was in a Radio Shack in Maricopa, AZ (small town) and he was selling ammo - was down to a single box of 45 ACP CCI 230 FMJ for $49.99 - used to sell for like $35 at LGS - everyone wants to be making a killing

10-x
05-17-2013, 10:35 PM
Academy Sports in JAX had LOTS of rifle and shotgun ammo today, .40 Cal was ONLY pistol ammo on the shelf. They have a 3 box per customer limit. Came home to GA, went to wally world to buy the fixins for my special salsa and mean beans, checked out sporting goods........what do you know ........they had .32 ACP ammo and a few others, I'm speechless...........

Iowa Fox
05-17-2013, 11:10 PM
Joe, Five years ago you could go to Matsells range with a broom & 5gal bucket and pick up all the military 30/06 you could carry. Thank God for molds & WW.

uscra112
05-18-2013, 12:09 AM
No different than speculation in any other commodity. Some make it big, some lose big.

I only buy for my own consumption so I am not worried. Those who bought lots for resale may get burned. Time will tell.

Old, old anecdote: Somebody asked a Rothschild banker how it was that they never lost money speculating. Answer: "We always sell too soon".

My financial son-in-law has another: "Bulls make money, bears make money, and pigs get slaughtered."

10x
05-18-2013, 02:46 AM
I just ordered a 1000 acp and a 1911 45.
With thanks to Bill Clinton on banning imports of guns and ammo from china.
This stuff has been sitting in a ware house in China since 1994....

Jammersix
05-18-2013, 02:53 AM
A young man landed in New York, with a little over a dollar in his pocket in the mid twenties.

He spent a dime on an apple, and spent all night polishing it. The next morning, he sold it for a quarter, and used the quarter to buy two more apples. He spent all night polishing them, and the next morning, he sold one for a quarter, and gave the other to a beautiful woman, who he went on to marry and who had six million dollars in the bank at the time.

762 shooter
05-18-2013, 06:44 AM
I think that the current madness is prolonged because a LOT of people finally realized that without ammo a firearm is an expensive club.

Baron von Trollwhack
05-18-2013, 07:48 AM
Yes there are hoarders, there are gougers. There are also a LOT of our low information brothers who have finally come to understand what the current and past administrations are doing to the nation. They are paying the price of stupidity. But they are learning.

Many who complain here of hoarders have enough stock on hand for personal use to last for years and have had that much for a long time. That is foresight. The same story that many Americans began to learn in 1930. The same the Greek ancients talked about in the fables of Aesop.....ant and grasshopper.

Time now is critical and a different view of a fellow buying 5 boxes of '06 is needed.

BvT

jcwit
05-18-2013, 09:13 AM
A young man landed in New York, with a little over a dollar in his pocket in the mid twenties.

He spent a dime on an apple, and spent all night polishing it. The next morning, he sold it for a quarter, and used the quarter to buy two more apples. He spent all night polishing them, and the next morning, he sold one for a quarter, and gave the other to a beautiful woman, who he went on to marry and who had six million dollars in the bank at the time.

Then again their was a fellow running a country store in Arkansas. Bought surplus merchandise and overstocks and offered his merchandise to the general public at reasonable prices, in other words, minimum markups. He turned his general store into the largest retail outlet in the world, making the man polishing apples and marrying the gal with 6 million look like small potatoes.

The name Sam comes to mind along with an old pickup truck.[smilie=1:

Ed Barrett
05-18-2013, 09:37 AM
I've go to brag a little. went to an auction yesterday, they had a bunch of stuff that wasn't on the sale bill. Bough a box of 50 .44 Mag soft points for $20.00, I guess there weren't any 44 shooters. The 9mm and .380 went for $40.00 a box, some CCI MiniMags in 100 packs were going for $14.00 each, I didn't buy any because my good rifle doesn't like them. Also got a Craftsman table with 10 extra blades, which is what I really went for. It seems as if the say anything about guns on a sale bill, there are ten people bidding $150.00 for a rusty .22 single shot bolt gun.

10x
05-18-2013, 10:20 AM

Which only goes to show that polishing a cherry can reap multiple rewards....

km101
05-18-2013, 04:13 PM
It'll slow down one of these days Brad, might take awhile but it will, as long as we don't have another idiot try to get his fame and glory by doing a cowardly shooting of innocent people.

I would not bet that it wont happen again. And maybe before the current crunch is over. If the Obummer administration continues to push their gun control agenda, this crunch may last a LONG time and there are plenty of idiots out there waiting for their fame!

dragon813gt
05-18-2013, 04:35 PM
I can't wait for it to end so these threads stop. And I realize I'm keeping it going :mad:

jcwit
05-18-2013, 05:34 PM
Then again their was a fellow running a country store in Arkansas. Bought surplus merchandise and overstocks and offered his merchandise to the general public at reasonable prices, in other words, minimum markups. He turned his general store into the largest retail outlet in the world, making the man polishing apples and marrying the gal with 6 million look like small potatoes.

The name Sam comes to mind along with an old pickup truck.[smilie=1:

Which only shows, not being greedy, and being fair and honest with your fellow man reaps awards beyond measure.

Granted Sam probably never polished apples, but he changed the way America shops and a large part of the world also.

dancingbear41
05-18-2013, 05:49 PM
My great concern with all of your shortages is that soon they will reach our shores and we will enter a bit of a drought. I have bought some powder and primers as I have found them this year to add to the quantity I tend to maintain. All of it is for my own consumption and not to profit from anyone else. The difference we have in the UK is that whilst there is no limit to the ammo that shops will sell you, each shooter will have a specified quantity of ammunition he/she can buy and and a quantity he/she can possess. So generally we are unable to clear shops out of their ammunition. I do also have enough rounds loaded to see me through a couple of years. I was pleased to discover at the back of a cabinet 200 rounds of Winchester .41 Magnum ammo that I forgot I had. I like hose surprises.

I hope it all settles down for you soon.

Simon.

762 shooter
05-21-2013, 07:17 AM
Things may be settling down.

A guy on Gunbroker has once fired Lake City 308 brass buy it now $160/1000 for 10 days and still has a bunch.

That's December 2012 pricing.