PDA

View Full Version : This Lee Pot has got to go

Rich22
05-16-2013, 11:07 PM
So I have a Lee 20 lb bottom pour, was casting tonight, about the tenth cast it started raining lead out of the spout, ended up with what you see in the pictures below. Got lead on my shoes and on my shorts so needless to say I am a bit pissed even though it could have been worse. This is the third time this has happened, was just on the phone to them yesterday asking about the dripping problem which they told me I needed to turn the clean out screw, I had tried that before but said sure I will try it again, did not even get a chance to do that tonight before this occured. Needless to say this thing has got to go, it is either stop casting or replace it. Between the dripping and the lead dumping this thing is flat out unsafe, I am going to have my wife start casting soon due to my hand issues and will NOT put her on to this disaster. I am not looking to spend a ton of coin but I do need 20 lb capacity and bottom pour and I need it in stock somewhere because I have a LOT of casting to get done708617086270863, really what are my options here?

jabo52521
05-16-2013, 11:14 PM
Just glad you didn't get burned.

Skipper
05-16-2013, 11:19 PM
Do what I did; weld the S.O.B. and use it for a dipper.

Rich22
05-16-2013, 11:43 PM
Just glad you didn't get burned.

Appreciate it, if I had not had decent footwear and clothes who knows.

lup
05-16-2013, 11:52 PM
I like the lee magnum melter. Cheaper and less things to break. You have to use a ladle but I consider that better.

jmort
05-17-2013, 12:06 AM
^ Me Too

Frozone
05-17-2013, 12:16 AM
Well I looked at the pix.
You see that screw on top that goes in the slot on the rod?
Now you notice how close to the pot the 'handle' is. (the horizontal sheetmetal part across the top).
It's sitting on the pot edge.

Turn the screw until it lifts the handle up until it's about 1/2 way up the (screw with a spacer in the hole in the handle).
You're not setting up the pot correctly. In other words it's YOUR fault not the pot's.
With it set that far down it will lift the rod so high it comes out of the spout and will not shut off.
The pot is at max flow if the rod lifts no more than ~3/32" - any more is to much.

fred2892
05-17-2013, 04:04 AM
Frozone has nailed it. On my Lee 20lb pot the adjustment screw is out no more than 3 threads. I am surprised your pot ever shut off with the amount of 'lift' it is adjusted to.

Rich22
05-17-2013, 10:38 AM
Frozone has nailed it. On my Lee 20lb pot the adjustment screw is out no more than 3 threads. I am surprised your pot ever shut off with the amount of 'lift' it is adjusted to.

Do not take the pictures as showing where the screw was adjusted to when being used, when it started dumping lead I was turning that screw so fast it was ridiculous to try to get it to stop

Frozone
05-17-2013, 10:42 AM
Do not take the pictures as showing where the screw was adjusted to when being used, when it started dumping lead I was turning that screw so fast it was ridiculous to try to get it to stop

Well if where it ended up is an example - you turned it the wrong way. I stand by my statement - nothing wrong with the pot, it's operator error.

wallenba
05-17-2013, 10:47 AM
It looks like the guys here have figured out the cause. Still, it might be a good idea to go to the store and get a large oven pan to set the pot in. That way, should it happen again, things can be contained.

Case Stuffer
05-17-2013, 10:48 AM
Some can make a Lee Pot work but most of us refere to them as Drip O Matics.

My first two bottom pours were Lees and Igave up on both of them and purchased a RCBS Pro Melt about 30 years ago and I have never had any problems with it.

Cane_man
05-17-2013, 11:15 AM
sorry to hear about the pot and glad you didnt get hurt... i bought one of these knowing the risks and decided to put the thing in a large cookie sheet while casting so it acts as a "berm" to hopefully contain a pot emptying like this... i have used my Lee 4-20 D-o-M now about 20 times with no problems and i have the forum here to thank for it for all the suggestions, improvements, and how to tweak it correctly... after you clean up the mess give it another try using the suggestions given here and i think it will work out for you...

mdi
05-17-2013, 11:31 AM
"If thine eye offends thee, pluck it out". If your melting pot troubles you, toss it out. Life's too short to cry over a dripping pot...

I have used a Lee 20 lb. pot mebbe 16 years and with a little care, it works fine (with an occasional drip session). First and foremost, clean alloy must be used, it only takes a very small bit of dirt/grit under the needle valve to produce a drip. Occasionally, I'll need to twist the valve rod a few times to cleat the seat. I keep all the screws tight and lube the lifter mounts (Bull Plate). Two or three time a year (or mebbe a couple hundred pounds through the pot) I empty the pot and wire brush the interior. I take out the needle valve and clean the point, and clean the seat and drop some Bull Plate on the mating surfaces. Mebbe it's my lifelong training as a machinist/mechanic to take care of my tools, but these tips work for me...

zidave
05-17-2013, 11:33 AM
I will gladly take it off your hands friend.

Sgtonory
05-17-2013, 11:40 AM

Same pm if you want to sell it.

plainsman456
05-17-2013, 01:05 PM
I have had 3 and use 1 now.

They were dirty when i got them and after cleaning and adjustment they all worked fine.

I do not let the rod come up very much because it can get out of the recess in the pot.

Clean it up and give another go,they do work.

Smoke4320
05-17-2013, 01:40 PM
Just glad you did not get burned .. The mess can be cleaned up . Pot can be cleaned and adjusted
there are some good tips here for adjusting/fixing the pot
give it another whirl ..just be careful and prepared

Mk42gunner
05-17-2013, 05:30 PM
Well if you really need bottom pour capability, try to find an RCBS Promelt. They are expensive, but they work.

Otherwise, plug the spout on your Lee and use a dipper.

Robert

trevj
05-18-2013, 09:52 AM
Get a cake pan from the thrift store, to use under the pot for runaways and drips (because they happen, and are better dealt with, than complained about).

Read through the notes on the Lee bottom pour pots and tune it to work correctly.

Don't panic, when the runaway starts! :)

Cheers
Trev

Bucking the Tiger
05-18-2013, 02:04 PM
Sorry to hear about your Lee 4-20.
I have owned one for about 1 1/2 years now and have not had any problems. I put clean lead in the pot, keep that screw adjusted on the valve, and it has been a champ. I have not had any dripping issues either. I use this pot about 2 days a week, about 40 pounds at a time( heat up pot, fill, pour, and fill up and pour one more time).
I do keep a small Lodge cast iron skillet( 6" diameter) under it to catch any stray lead. The Lee is so much more affordable than anything else. The Lyman and RCBS pots are 5 times the cost of the Lee. Magma makes a 40 pound MasterPot for $575 that looks sweet, but I have not the funds for that one yet.

bigcountry
05-18-2013, 02:10 PM
I just started thinking yelling screaming, and cursing everytime I fire up my lee pot was just normal operating procedures. :grin: After 1/2 hour of fighting these out of control lead running, it does pretty good.

MTtimberline
05-18-2013, 04:08 PM
I will take the troublesome pot and dispose of it properly. No need to clean the cursed lead off it either.

mold maker
05-18-2013, 04:20 PM
Mine made an art statue a couple times while warming up, but I've never had the problems others describe. I also have the other mentioned brands, and they will do the drip drip, as well if dirty metal is allowed in them.

PS Paul
05-18-2013, 04:47 PM

Is that Dr. Rockzo, the Rock n' roll Clown" in your avatar there, zidave? He does cocaine, you know? Lots of cocaine.

zidave
05-18-2013, 11:26 PM
Is that Dr. Rockzo, the Rock n' roll Clown" in your avatar there, zidave? He does cocaine, you know? Lots of cocaine.

Yes sir, it is. The original version of my av, which was much more friendly, caused quite a commotion so I'm going with this version for now.

victor3ranger
05-19-2013, 11:24 AM
Anyone who has one that does this and wants to retire it in my direction feel free to let me know, I am needing one to mess with.:D

ftut
05-19-2013, 12:18 PM
mine emptied itself once during the warm up. I've kept a pan under it ever since. I do get the drips as others here have indicated. I guess it's time for a cleaning.

taco650
05-19-2013, 01:13 PM
Anyone who has one that does this and wants to retire it in my direction feel free to let me know, I am needing one to mess with.:D

Ditto for me. Send that PM and I will respond!!!

mdi
05-20-2013, 05:50 PM
FWIW; I learned very early, never walk away from a machine while it's running and I apply that to lead pots too! I find something to do around the shop while the lead is melting, but stay in the same room, and keep an eye on the melter...