PDA

View Full Version : Liver and Onions

10-x
05-16-2013, 08:02 PM
Salt and pepper sliced liver, coat the liver well with flour, coat again with fine bread crumbs. In a skillet big enough for the liver to sit flat, add enough oil or what ever you use to get about 1/4" in the bottom. Slice 2 or more onions about 1/4 thick. When oil is hot, place liver in pan, brown on one side. Add onions when you turn the liver over, and minced garlic if you like. Add about 1/2 cup of water, cover and reduce heat. When onions are soft stir them well and put liver on top of onions. Add enough milk/flour to thicken the gravy.Cut off the flame/heat leave cover on. I usually bake some biscuits and slice and boil 3-4 potatoes, when about done drain them and fry them with some minced garlic. When done place potatoes on paper to drain. Pile a serving of potatoes on your plate, cover with liver, onions and gravy. I know, lots of folks don't like liver including my dear wife, but she says it smells so good she is tempted to eat some...........LOL...

tward
05-16-2013, 08:05 PM
Sounds good to me! I can just about smell them, works well with chicken livers too. Tim

10-x
05-16-2013, 08:38 PM
Oh yea, chicken livers. Like em lightly breaded, deep fried and dip in what ever sauce you like. Pickapeppa is good on anything.

Hickory
05-16-2013, 08:58 PM
Once while deer hunting in Southern Ohio I ran across a steaming gut pile.
I took the liver and took it back to camp. I, and others consider me a good cook
so, I usually get the job as cook.
I got back to camp while it was still light and made liver and onions for the guys when they returned.
After the meal of liver & onions fried potatoes and, I think I made peas too, everyone commented on
how good supper was, until it must of dawned on one of the guys as to the origin of the liver.
When I told them where the liver came from no one got grossed out and reaffirmed the fact that I'm a good cook. (And resourceful too)

10-x
05-16-2013, 09:10 PM
Waste not, want not. Good story.

gbrown
05-16-2013, 10:06 PM
Liver and Onions? Hmmm. Look at the "Comfort Food" thread. It's right up there in ecstacy! Nothing like it, IMHO. Love it! I fix mine a little different, bread the liver with well seasoned flour, brown well, remove liver and make gravy (dark roux, with water). Cover, add liver to gravy and top with sliced onions. Smother it down and stir a few times. I like mine over rice, but the potatoes sound great. Just another way to make an unbelievable meal even better! I've made it plenty of times with fresh venison liver. Fresh gut pile? Fair game, I say. As said before, Waste not, Want not. As the last sentence in my quote says.

uscra112
05-16-2013, 10:25 PM
Chicken livers, onions, bacon (of course). Add sour cream about 1 minute before removing from the pan. Garnish with dill, chives, or what have you. I've even used mesquite seasoning.

10-x
05-17-2013, 10:28 PM
Drool, drool, drool....we need to have a "Liver Cook Off".........LOL

Bad Water Bill
05-18-2013, 03:11 PM
Posted this one before

Put liver in a soup bowl full of milk and go to bed. In the mourning CAREFULLY pour off the milk and refill with fresh milk.

When you get home from hunting for the day Start cooking as everyone is hungry enough to ear a LARGE buck whole.

Brown up 1/2" slices of bacon along with sliced onions. CAREFULLY pour the milk off the liver. Do not try to pick up the liver please. Gently slide the liver out of the bowl into the pan of onions and bacon. Fry till the liver just starts to look brown.

Serve with mashed potatoes and your favorite veggies. OH yes use the juice from frying as a gravy over the taters. Cut the liver with your fork.

Good old German recipe.

starmac
05-19-2013, 12:12 PM
It is funny, all the time growing up, my mom would start liver and onions, then leave the house. The smell of it cooking would make her sick. I have ordered it in many different places and finally gave up as I have never had it even come close to as good as my mom made it, and she couldn't even stand the smell. lol

The Dove
05-19-2013, 01:14 PM
Here is my recipe for beef liver. The Dove

Beef calf liver
1 round onion or several wild onions will do
1 or 2 bell peppers
1 or 2 cans of mushroom pieces or slices
5 slices of bacon
Bacon grease and crisco (amounts differ upon taste so don’t make this science
1 package of mushroom gravy mix
water
1 clove of garlic (minced)
1 beef bullion cube
salt and pepper to taste

Fry up bacon
Wash and trim liver and cut into strips (about 1 inch wide, kind of like steak fingers)
salt and pepper then flour liver strips
Brown liver lightly over bacon grease, may have to add more grease as you cook more liver
Pull liver out
Saute onions, peppers, garlic, mushrooms and stuff (may have to add more grease)
Add beef bouillon, and about a cup or so of water
Add mushroom gravy packet and adjust as desired to achieve desires consistency
When you get the consistency you want then add the slices of bacon (cut bacon slices in half)
Mix everything together real well and simmer till ready to eat

Twinkiethekid
05-25-2013, 11:56 PM
Good stuff, the liver is high in iron, breading it makes a lot tastier!

trapper9260
05-28-2013, 08:57 AM
I will not past up liver and onions and had different kind of liver .

gwpercle
05-31-2013, 05:18 PM
We allways had our liver, oiions and gravey with grits. Real cooked grits...don't serve me no instant grits. Wife just bought a sack of them sweet vidalia onions....they would be so good with that liver...now I done got a craving flung on me... I got to make a run to the store. Can't forget to get the bacon.....oh it's gonna be soooo good.

Gary

10-x
06-01-2013, 10:45 PM
Vidalia onions, mighty good. Can eat them like an apple. Daughter used to live there, she still brings a bag to us when she passes through on the way here. Usually use yellow or red onions in my liver and onions. Going to try some in the next batch.

Wayne Smith
06-02-2013, 01:37 PM
Believe it or not, a little Sage goes well with Liver and Onions. Unfortunately LOML was introduced to liver as a teenager when she worked in a hospital. Hospital cafeteria steamed! the liver. I don't blame her for hating the idea of liver. She even agreed that mine were eatable, maybe good, years ago. Still haven't cooked them since. Won't do that to her.

Bad Water Bill
06-02-2013, 04:34 PM
Wayne She should be glad she NEVER had to go to my mothers house. Liver was fried till it would BREAK when struck on the side of the frying pan.

Now just sneak it out of the house and over to the SHOE REPAIR shop and you were good for about 3 more years of service on the shoes. :evil:

10-x
06-05-2013, 10:04 PM
Just read an article about Dogs taste, seems they like liver. Bought our Grey some liver canned food, he is eating better.
Think I'll try some this weekend, tropical storm is passing over us, yawn..........

Tom-ADC
06-07-2013, 03:51 PM
Doing calves liver tonight, I cook up a pound of bacon, set bacon aside, I then saute a large sweet onion sliced a 1/4 thick, the liver I rinse, dry and coat in flour thats been salt & peppered, fry liver in reserved bacon grease, when I turn the liver I add the bacon and onions to the pan, when liver is done serve.

StrawHat
06-07-2013, 09:03 PM
When I raised rabbits, I would often get a mess of livers on slaughter day. One day Herself was going to treat me to liver and onions. She flashed the livers and set them aside while she added onions to the pan, she saw some mushrooms left over from something and added those. Then on a whim added sour cream and the livers. She presented me with liver stroganoff! I thouroughly enjoyed it and mentioned that in the future it should always nbe made with liver. I no longer raise rabbits but it is good with calves liver and chicken livers also.

Stonecrusher
06-07-2013, 09:11 PM
Got me some calf liver in fridge right now. Liver and onions soon to come. With grits of course!
Fortunately the wife won't eat it, so more for me.