PDA

View Full Version : 45 Colt and BP

JohnFM
05-16-2013, 02:12 PM
I'm sure there's probably threads on this subject around here somewhere, but I'll ask anyway.
I never got into BP cartridge shooting, wish I had.
But, I have a good supply of Goex 3f in my muzzle loading supplies.
I just don't have any sources of loads for the Colt 45.
Anybody got any links to the info?

joec
05-16-2013, 03:01 PM
I'm sure there's probably threads on this subject around here somewhere, but I'll ask anyway.

Here is the easiest and best way to do it. Measure the distance from the crimp groove to the base of the bullet. I mark the distance off on a wooden tooth pick or chop stick etc. Now put a line about 1/16" to 1/8" up from that. Now fill the case enough that the powder compresses between 1/16" to 1/8" when the bullet is seated. I also use a drop tube about 4" long to fill the cases. It would be about 34 to 35 gr with a 250 gr RNFP bullet using FFFg with OAL from 1.570 to 1.600 at about 850 to 886 fps. I use FFg but both work good. You can use wads to lower the amount of powder but I've never felt the need with 45 Colt or even 45-70.

Don McDowell
05-16-2013, 06:25 PM
37 grs of your 3f, with a .030 fiber wad underneath the Remington bulk bullet will give you a bit over 900 fps out of a 5.5 inch barrel. Same charge and wad will give you 875 fps when loaded in combination with the 255 KT bullet from the rcbs mould

JohnFM
05-16-2013, 06:44 PM
Thanks guys. I dug through my muzzle stuffer gear and I don't have any measures that will get me close to what I need for that cartridge 45.
I just need to straighten up the reloading bench some and experiment with a set of Lee dippers I have, might find just what I want in there.
For loading something like the 45 is a drop tube really needed?

country gent
05-16-2013, 06:51 PM
You can solder a heavy wire handle to the side of a 45 colt case and make a dipper for what you want. Cut it to length with the powder charge and your done. It does sacrafice a case though.

Don McDowell
05-16-2013, 07:31 PM
No you don't need a droptube.

bigted
05-17-2013, 07:59 AM
I use my lee dippers for just about everything black powder. however most of my loads get weighed but in the pistol cases for just shootin for fun I just dip n charge...dip n charge...dip n charge...get the picture?

I use no wads nor drop tube HOWEVER...the new RCBS funnel with the 5 or 6 inch tube attached is the shizz nizz for me.

careful this is so addictive !!! and fun ???...my goodness !!!

John Boy
05-17-2013, 10:07 AM
No wad - no drop tube - no vibrator to settle powder ...
Just put them in the Dillon 550B, drop 35gr FFg powder - seat bullet and hear it go 'Crunch' - Crimp with Lee Factory Carbide - Done!
Shoot over 1000 rounds a year - 45 Colt, 250grs. Same powder charge for 200gr bullets - they just go a little bit faster!

mannyCA
05-17-2013, 12:29 PM
Use a 44sp case full of FFFgoex, approx 34-35 grains and a Mihec 270gr. SAA pan lubed with beeswax/lanolin/Crisco mix. No wad, drop tube. Just load and go. Very nice, a bit stout out of the .45 colt cimmaron SAA clone, and more accurate than I can shoot.

WARD O
05-17-2013, 01:56 PM
Black powder bullet lube is recommended.

JohnFM
05-17-2013, 02:05 PM
Thanks for all the tips.
I'll try to keep track of this thread and report after I get a chance to load a few rounds and try them.

Good Cheer
05-17-2013, 08:01 PM
Bet those loads would be a hoot in the H&R single shot.

Dale53
05-17-2013, 08:47 PM
I've shot thousands of .45 Colt Black Powder loads. I cast Lyman's 452664 (250 gr RF) out of 30/1 lead/tin, fill the case with black (I prefer 2f as it has a bit less recoil and velocity) until it compresses about 1/16" when the bullet is seated. If you try to compress much more than that, you WILL damage the soft bullet. It is extremely important to use a good black powder lube. SPG is the standard, but I used home mixed Emmert's (50% Beeswax, 40% Crisco, 10% Canola Oil. I later modified the Emmert's by substituting Anhydrous Lanolin for the Canola Oil. All measurements are by melted volume.

I mostly use Federal 150 primers but Winchester LP work about as well. I size to .452" for my Rugers.

These loads will shoot under 2" at 25 yards. I can get about 70 rounds before the cylinder starts binding. A five minute cleaning will give me another 70 shots.

These loads are quite powerful - a 250 gr bullet at 900+ fps is nothing to sneeze at.

FWIW
Dale53

bigted
05-17-2013, 10:25 PM

the two were built for each other. NO REALLY !!!:lol:...

Cartridge or 2f in GOEX do me just fine but as the above mentions...3f will be a bit more stout and will suggest what the hubba was all about concerning the old 45 colt and power...not to be outdone till the advent of the 357 mag and then not by much...then the heavy bullet of the 45 still had the upper hand.

I remember reading an account of a feller getting shot in the jaw with a 45 colt when trying to steal some cows in Kansas I think...back when. cowboy thought he killed the rustler after shooting him in the head with his 45 so left him lay along side an old oak tree. thief woke hours later all alone and spitting teeth and blood outta his mug along with the huge wad of chewing tobacco and a 45 caliber bullet. hole in his check but except for his missing teeth didn't seem all the worse for wear ... they found him later and hung him anyway. knocked him silly for a few hours and took him outta the fight but the wad of the terrible chaw saved his hide till he got his just rewards via a rope.

just a little hoo haa for the consumption and reminder that even a non fatal hit with a bp powered 45 still puts yer lights out and allow the other fella to do as he wish's.

Grapeshot
05-19-2013, 12:03 PM
Ah, the .45 Colt and Black Powder. I have been shooting BP out of my SAA's for at least 30 years and more so now that I shoot in regular SASS matches. I started out shooting my SASS matches using a Lee 2.5cc dipper filled with GOEX 2Fg, (about 40 grains), and a compression die to get the powder compressed enough to seat a 250 grain Lyman 452664 or a PRS Big Lube Boolit in a Starline case. Recoil was stout and the concussion from the muzzle blast made the ground shake. The rest of the posse would take notice and back off when I got to the line to shoot.

I decided I did not need the recoil so I switched to Schofield cases using 1.9cc lee dipper and the same boolit. I get the same report without the recoil. Life is fun for a Dark Lord of the Soot.

TMenezes
05-21-2013, 08:01 PM
The exact amount of grains in black powder cartridges is unimportant, the ONLY critical aspect is that there are no air pockets or voids. That's why you always want a bit of compression when you seat the bullet. 1/16 to about 1/8 is fine. Most cases will hold about 35 to 38 grains of powder with a 250gr bullet, don't get caught up trying to put a specific amount of grains in your cases. Take the time to figure out how much of your brand of black powder it takes to fill your brand of cases with whatever type of bullet your using that gets you a bit of compression. Even the amount of compression isn't critical, just enough that there are no voids is all that is required. But should you want to try and shoe horn up to 40gr of black then go for it. Just don't go overboard with it or you will start crushing and splitting your components.

The original load invented by Colt was 40gr of Black under a 255gr bullet. Only thing was the cases they used back then were a weaker balloon head design that fit 40gr perfectly. It worked fine for low pressure black powder but with the advent of high pressure smokeless powder they redesigned the cases with a solid head which gave it allot more strength. The side affect of using more brass to make the stronger case was that there's slightly less space for powder, roughly 35 to 37gr for most people.

So long story short, the reason your weren't able to find load info for BP 45 Colt is that you put however much fits! Can't get any easier than that right?

lksmith
05-21-2013, 09:38 PM
The exact amount of grains in black powder cartridges is unimportant, the ONLY critical aspect is that there are no air pockets or voids. That's why you always want a bit of compression when you seat the bullet. 1/16 to about 1/8 is fine. Most cases will hold about 35 to 38 grains of powder with a 250gr bullet, don't get caught up trying to put a specific amount of grains in your cases. Take the time to figure out how much of your brand of black powder it takes to fill your brand of cases with whatever type of bullet your using that gets you a bit of compression. Even the amount of compression isn't critical, just enough that there are no voids is all that is required. But should you want to try and shoe horn up to 40gr of black then go for it. Just don't go overboard with it or you will start crushing and splitting your components.

The original load invented by Colt was 40gr of Black under a 255gr bullet. Only thing was the cases they used back then were a weaker balloon head design that fit 40gr perfectly. It worked fine for low pressure black powder but with the advent of high pressure smokeless powder they redesigned the cases with a solid head which gave it allot more strength. The side affect of using more brass to make the stronger case was that there's slightly less space for powder, roughly 35 to 37gr for most people.

So long story short, the reason your weren't able to find load info for BP 45 Colt is that you put however much fits! Can't get any easier than that right?

Would that also be a safe load to shoot in an 1858 Stainless Remmie with Conversion Cylinder

TXGunNut
05-26-2013, 11:26 AM
I use a Lee 2.5cc scoop, gives me about 37grs when using KIK FFFg. I pour it slowly thru a funnel (about 4 seconds) and get settling similar to a drop tube. I tried wads but didn't notice a benefit.

TMenezes
05-28-2013, 01:22 AM
It should be safe in any gun, black powder while somewhat messy is very gentle even on old/weak guns because the peak pressures are very low compared to modern smokeless powder. And FYI the Remmy was a very strong and rugged design.

I would recommend you get a black powder flask that has the spout on the top that doubles as a built in powder measure. Very handy design idea for your cap and ball cylinder.

awaveritt
05-29-2013, 04:38 PM
+ 1 on the flask. My replica flask has several spouts, one of which holds 30 grains of FFFg or FFg for my Uberti colt 1860s. I use this spout in cartridge loading for my 45 colt rifle (Uberti 1866 Winchester). The 30 grains is just about right under my Lee 255 gr RNFP, allowing for the aforementioned rule of 1/16" compression. Most sources say 35 grains max in modern cases, but I guess this Lee boolit seats a little deeper than some styles. Like someone else said, my BP rounds are a hoot at the cowboy matches.

lksmith
05-29-2013, 07:43 PM
... And FYI the Remmy was a very strong and rugged design. .

that's why I chose it over a colt style, it just looks to be a lot stronger design therefore it should last a long time and handle standard 45LC loads should I decide to push it that far

hightime
06-02-2013, 08:17 AM
Are most of you guys shooting pistols and BP? Is there any problem in long term BP use in a lever gun? I shoot BP in a Sharps, that easy to keep clean.

Owen