PDA

View Full Version : Magnum primers in place of standard ?

Atlast357
05-16-2013, 12:22 PM
Being new to reloading, I bought a few magnum pistol primers and now have
second thoughts about use in standard pistol loads, primarily 38 special.
I have read , on the net that litter loads the mags work fine. Here I am again
on the web, however I think you all on Bullits have a lot more experience.
What I have are CCI 550 mag small pistol primers.
Any in put ?

TES
05-16-2013, 01:17 PM
I use them for my 9mm loads. I started 1 full grain below load data for my bullet and powder combo. With the use of a chrony I checked and rechecked. Now I have a low recoil round that I can shoot all day long.

Atlast357
05-16-2013, 01:20 PM
PB
Just now gathering knowledge.
Feed my .357mag single action revolver to start. Will load 38 spl now, later go magnum.
Plan on both SWCL and FMJ round nose 158 gr and less.
No powder yet. I will be looking for multiple purpose like 231.
Want to be able to load .45 acp as well.
I only shoot for....... My Pursuit of Happiness.:grin:

44Vaquero
05-16-2013, 05:29 PM
Actually Phineas,

I think that you have pretty much covered it. The only thing that I could add is the web address for a free reloaders guide: http://www.alliantpowder.com/resources/catalog.aspx

Atlast, start by filling out the request for Alliant powder reloading manual and reading one or other two manuals. Lee, Hornady, Speer, lyman, etc. all have them.

Atlast357
05-16-2013, 07:33 PM
Actually Phineas,

I think that you have pretty much covered it. The only thing that I could add is the web address for a free reloaders guide: http://www.alliantpowder.com/resources/catalog.aspx

Atlast, start by filling out the request for Alliant powder reloading manual and reading one or other two manuals. Lee, Hornady, Speer, lyman, etc. all have them.
I did send off for Alliant manual, as you suggested I do so on another thread. Also ordered a Lee manual.
Atlast

Uncle Jimbo
05-16-2013, 07:56 PM
I use cci 550 in all my handgun loads. 380, 9mm 40 s&w, 38 special and 357 mags. Just start low with your powder charge and work up from there. Watch for high pressure signs. You will be fine. I've even used them in my 25-20 rifle loads before, No problems, no difference.

bangerjim
05-16-2013, 08:11 PM
I have successfully shot 45LC, 40 S&W, 38SP, and 9mm with both standard AND mag primers. (Using Unique with std weight lead cast boolits) As mentioned above, this is not at max load. Even with standard primers, I usually stay at about 75% of max load, and back off to 65% with mag primers. Heck, I even use rifle primers with GREAT success. Just be sure your pistol has enough "hit" to actuate the primer charge in the slightly thicker rifle primer cap. Some do not. All mine do......without missing a beat.

With the "3 ring circus" :lol: being in charge in DC these days, causing the availability of primers & ammo to be slim, so you gotta do what you gotta do!

As far as powder, Unique and Bullseye are the best I use. WIN231 burns a bit dirty but is very universal. American Select is another good one for all standard calibers I shoot. Very close to Unique.

Get the Alliant guide!

Also http://www.hodgdon.com/ for their load data for WIN-Hodgdon-IMR powders.

.................and of course...........the usual warning.............get a Lyman manual!

44Vaquero
05-16-2013, 09:03 PM
My apologies Atlast, so many new people on the form I don't always recognize the handles. Time to add a picture to your handle.

starmac
05-16-2013, 11:21 PM
Components are starting to trickle back, at least it seems like. I picked up a couple pounds of 231 today, just because. lol

satchmodog
05-17-2013, 01:14 AM
I started experimenting with magnum primers during the panic of 08 and found ZERO difference in performance, pressure, load weight, anything.
All a magnum primer does is burn your powder better, pure and simple as it's a longer flash.

Make some loads and chrony them for yourself. I did my normal Bullseye loads in 40, 9mm and 45acp with no changes in velocity.

Atlast357
05-18-2013, 04:19 PM
I read the Alliant data guide on their web and they state to start about 10% less than
specs listed to get a feel. So what y'all seem to be saying is the same.
I do that with my substitute black powder, works out fine.
Hey 44 Vaquero so likes em pitchers eh? I'll work on it.

rasto
05-20-2013, 03:21 PM
The same ignition amount the only difference is in the cup thickness due to the higher pressure.
http://www.ginex.com.ba/Images/PRIMER%204,5-3%3fP1%20for%20Small%20Pistol.pdf
http://www.ginex.com.ba/Images/PRIMER%204,53%3fP2%20for%20small%20pistol%20MAGNUM .pdf

Ed_Shot
05-21-2013, 04:14 PM
Went to the range yesterday using 45 ACP Small Primer Brass with 50 each of CCI 500 and CCI 550 for both 452374 and 452630 in my Glock 30. All loaded with PROMO 4.5 gr. Saw no difference between the standard and magnum primers. Have one brick of CCI 550 and plenty of small primer 45 ACP brass.

ColColt
05-21-2013, 06:34 PM
I noticed a little more flattening of the primer when using the magnum CCI primer for the 44 Magnum and 10-10.5 gr of HS-6. I backed off a little and started using standard primers. No need in magnum primers in that caliber or 357 clan unless using powders like 296 or H110. Most manuals will tell you that.

You definitely don't need it with powders like 231, Universal Clays, Unique, 2400 or Bullseye.

Petrol & Powder
05-23-2013, 09:02 PM
I shot loads over a chronograph years back and the only difference I observed was less deviation in velocity with magnum primers. That being said, the loads were on the light side to start with. Although the velocity was more consistent with magnum primers the accuracy was the same when compared to standard primers. Basically the numbers improved on paper but the results did not. NOW, that being said - I would NOT try that same experiment with loads that were near the maximum. As ColColt pointed out, one doesn't need magnum primers unless you're trying to consistently light large charges of slow powders. Because standard primers worked for all of my loads, I kept my logistics simple by only purchasing standard primers. I'm currently using magnum primers in some loads as a substitute for standard primers because of the shortage of standard small pistol primers but I'm using light loads.

A little commonsense and attention to the task at hand will go a long way in this arena.

Ohio Rusty
05-25-2013, 10:12 AM
I really like magnum pistol primers when I'm burning substitute black powder brands in .38 special.
Ohio Rusty ><>

Whiterabbit
05-29-2013, 02:05 PM
I just made the switch from std to magnum. Now all my loading uses LRM primers. All. Makes it easier to stock up!

That being said, there are growing pains. My accuracy with LRM's in 7x57 are just as good a before. Great! But case life seems to be reduced. Could be coincidence. Now, brass does not fail in the neck or body, but the primer pockets get too loose.

Garyshome
05-31-2013, 01:55 PM
I heard that it will work just got to work up to the load.