PDA

View Full Version : The same ol' questions

Jim
05-16-2013, 07:27 AM
I called a buddy on the phone one afternoon and he answered in a very agitated voice. I asked him what he was upset about. "This @#$% phone has rung 50 times today!" I said "I didn't call you 50 times." "Yeah, you're right, I'm sorry, Jim, I didn't mean to blast you."

I told you that story to make my point. I distinctly remember, when I joined this crew of heathens over ten years ago, askin' a thousand questions. Each one was answered with patience and clarity.

The forum is growing exponentially and a lot of the new guys are where I was ten years ago. This is all new to them and they don't have a clue. I'm just glad they chose to come here. I take it as a respect for who we are and that they trust us for the information they need. Building ammunition is not something you ask about of the guy you're next to in line at Walmart.

We see the same ol' questions day after day. It's understandable that we might get a bit tired of it and blurt out "GO READ THE STICKIES!" Afrer all, how many times do I have to answer this?

The answer to that question is "How many new members do we have?" At the risk of sounding judgemental (that's not the intent), sometimes, it's a bit difficult to figure out how to get the search engine to give you what you're lookin' for. New guys don't know what to do, so they post.

It's very likely that I'm a bit more thin skinned or maybe I'm just a sap. I try to at least point somebody to the aisle where the peanut butter is. I find it rewarding to be thanked for a simple link to a thread.

I'm not pointin' fingers or listin' names. I didn't come here with a rope to hang anybody. I guess what I'm tryin' to say is when you see that same ol' question day after day, take a minute if you have the patience to help out. If you don't have the patience, nobody's faulting you for that. But don't respond with something that could be misconstrued and possibly drive a new guy away.

How many times have you seen "This forum is great, there's so much information here!" New guys write that because where they came from, they got kicked in the teeth for asking "What's the best powder to use for _____________?" I think it speaks highly of us that they came here, found the information, the help and the friendly atmosphere.

Think about that old man standing in the door of Walmart. How many times does he smile and say "Good mornin'!" ? He's got to get tired of that after awhile. You'd never know it though. Next time you see that same old question, think about the old man in the front door of Walmart. Could you handle his job?

41 mag fan
05-16-2013, 07:57 AM
I wanna be a Walmart door greeter when i retire!!!! Especially in the summer time. The women like to wear awefully skimpy shorts that time of year!!

gmsharps
05-16-2013, 08:26 AM
Jim you are absolutely correct. We all need to reflect on how we got to where we are now as far as casting and loading. Most of us did not have a mentor to aid us when we were in distress and of course the internet did not exist those days. A lot was trial an error. I was told when I started to get the Lyman manual and read it cover to cover several times and then just maybe I would be showed the magic world of casting and making my ammunition. I learned on a Lyman 310 tool and a Lee shotshell loader and then progressed to a Rockchucker. I was not able to make ammo or cast fast but I did make some good ammo an Boolits. I have been asked by a lot of folks to make ammo for them and my standard answer is a flat out no but I will teach you how to safely make it. I loan them a tattered old Lyman manual of mine and tell them to read it cover to cover. If they haven't the time I let them buy the factory stuff. I have always had the opinion of the only dumb question the one you did not ask. This site has been at times a curse because what took me many years to learn the hard way can take only minutes now. But when you learn it that fast sometimes it doesn't get beat into your head as to the whys and that can lead to future mistakes. The good folks on this site are the best of the best. Sometimes you have a bad day and say things that should not be said and you cannot take back the words and that can run off newbies and possibly turn one of our future greats from the fine art of casting. I have learned and continue to learn something from here everyday on many subjects. Just because we know something doesn't mean that everybody know it. Let's just share our hard learned knowledge and keep our numbers growing.

gmsharps

linotype
05-16-2013, 08:27 AM
Amen, brother Jim.
IMHO, there are no "dumb" questions.
A person takes the time to form a question and comes to the forum looking for an answer. That sure beats those who try to reload or cast by guess or by gosh!
I'll try to help where I can or at least point them to where they can find a good answer.

x101airborne
05-16-2013, 08:27 AM
That would be funny to see the WalMart greeter do the Chevy Chase thing from Natl Lampoons Christmas.
Good morning!
Good morning.
Good morning,
Go to ......
Kiss my....
Kiss his...
Kiss hers...
Kiss their...
Happy Honnakua(sp?)

Even if I got one of the "kiss" greetings, I would be rolling on the floor laughing!!!!
Little ole 90 year old man waddling off with a big grin on his face content with what he just said!

KCSO
05-16-2013, 09:35 AM
Back to the phone thing Jim, I do gun work and the phone here rings at least 10 times a day with some salesman or survey, I turn off the machinery and answer the phone to hear...we can save you money on your Mastercard... And if I ignore the phone it's a customer for sure. I am about ready to tear out the phone and if you can't come in the door ou don't need it bad enough

As to your main thrust I agree completely the more we help folks get started the more we have on our side.

waksupi
05-16-2013, 12:02 PM
Phones are a pain to people working for their self. Using an answering machine for call screening works, asking them to leave a name and number eliminates the marketers. Then you don't loose customers when you are running machines.

shdwlkr
05-16-2013, 12:14 PM
How many of you in the last few months have gotten the phone surveys, the phone sale pitch, etc. I finally had enough of that **** and signed up for do not call registry and believe it or not the phone rings less now.
As to answering questions I would much rather a new member ask a question then go fool hardly ahead and try something unknown and get hurt.
As to dumb questions yes there is one the one you don't dare ask and could get harmed by not knowing the real answer.
Do I know it all nope just learning going on over 60 years at it even.
I learn something new each time I stop by here and read.
So ask your question and lets see what the old sage's have to say on the subject. If it is in a sticky paste its link to the post so the newbies get an idea of how to long for such things. No big deal and who knows some of old koots just might learn a thing or two along the way also

Blacksmith
05-16-2013, 01:59 PM
We all have better days and worse days it is best to not post on your bad days. If it is a question you're answering or just commenting on a thread on bad days you may post something you wouldn't on a good day. I'll bet that is how some of the flame wars get started somebody had a bad day and fires off a comment they wouldn't normally write.

You don't have to answer every question or comment on every post it is alright on your bad to just read and don't write. Someone will be along to answer the question if not you can answer it yourself after you get the jellyfish out of your wet suit.

country gent
05-16-2013, 02:29 PM
Another thing to keep in mind is these new people cant always determine what sticky applies to their question due to lack of knowledge / just starting out. They need someone to get them started and explain the what to do use how to and most importantly the why of doing it this way. For awhile I trained apprentices at our plant and found the above to be very true. I have seen this on several times. This die sizes and decapps this die expands the mouth this one seats and crimps, no why how or reasonning just do it. The student gets no background or understanding. I much perfer we start with this die it sizes the case by squeezing it back down to close to factory size and pushes out the fired primer so a new one can be inserted. It is done so cases will chamber easily when finished and to make a better looking cartidge. How many simply answer a question with no before or after information leave the person almost as much in the dark as before.

km101
05-16-2013, 05:01 PM
Jim, well said and I agree wholeheartedly! We need all the new members we can get in times like these. If we treat them right they will continue to support our favorite hobby and help us keep it around!

firefly1957
05-16-2013, 08:40 PM
Thank you for the reminder i have seen a bit of that also.

TXGunNut
05-16-2013, 09:47 PM
I don't mind the easy questions, they're the ones I'm best qualified to answer. I've been loading & shooting for over 30 yrs but this casting adventure is still new and exciting for me. Ya'll have been patient with me, I'll pass it along.

H.Callahan
05-17-2013, 11:10 AM
I don't mind the easy questions, they're the ones I'm best qualified to answer. I've been loading & shooting for over 30 yrs but this casting adventure is still new and exciting for me. Ya'll have been patient with me, I'll pass it along.
+1. I have been reloading and casting off and on since the 70's. I don't consider myself, by any measure, an expert -- more of a journeyman. I have learned more in the past few years here than I did in the previous decades reloading/casting on my own. I appreciate being able to tap into the true experts here. My "payment" for that is to try to help those that have even less (is it possible?) than I do. I do not mind the "noobie" questions as I feel that is where I can be most useful.

Blacksmith
05-17-2013, 06:21 PM
Any tech writers here who would like to write a comprehensive beginners how to would probably earn a prominent posting and the thanks of thousands. I've been here awhile but some things I don't have much luck with, like site searches or posting pictures, so a how to would also help some computer challenged current members. Most of the information is already on site it is finding it that is the problem so a single place to look would help.

crabo
05-17-2013, 08:38 PM
If I remember a thread that answers the question, I try to point them in that direction. I did that once and a guy complained that the thread was 2 years old.

historicfirearms
05-17-2013, 08:49 PM
Jim, you are a true gentleman. Thank you for taking the time to write such a thoughtful post. In today's world, a little kindness goes a long way.

Riverpigusmc
05-17-2013, 08:51 PM
I wanna be a Walmart door greeter when i retire!!!! Especially in the summer time. The women like to wear awefully skimpy shorts that time of year!!

I thought of doing that when I retire..however, my wife informed me they will not pay me to stand there and say "welcome to Walmart, get your **** and get out"

PS Paul
05-17-2013, 08:54 PM
This is why Jim is just about my very favorite on this forum. A good man.

Now, I do remember the video about "Little Billy" when I first started lurking several years ago (took me a long time to join since I am a "non-joiner") and believed that was required viewing before posting? he he

doctorggg
05-17-2013, 09:23 PM
Jim,

I am proud of you. i have been a reloader for 42 years with j words. I've only been casting for 2.5 years and just beginning to understand the concept. I don't give advice because I am not qualified yet. But I have seen questions from Newbies that were answered in an atrocious manner. I read most of the relevant posts concerning the calibers I reload and especially the lube section. I read this forum daily and some of the answers would have turned me away had I asked them. I hope people are curtious to newbies. i personally find the search engine almost worthless. The stickies are very helpful. Just my .02 worth.

Catshooter
05-17-2013, 10:32 PM
Not only that, but sometimes searching will get you the answers you're looking for. Maybe it's just me and my search-fu is weak but I've hardly ever had much luck with it.

Cat

WILCO
05-18-2013, 01:42 PM
Jim, well said and I agree wholeheartedly!

Ditto for me, but I'm a firm believer in the "Stickies". It's like my club's dear departed caretaker used to say about the lead scrap barrel: "There's lots of great nuggets in there!".

Harter66
05-19-2013, 10:09 AM
I was sure I'd replied to this ,but maybe it got lost in space,probably better that way.

I've not been around too long and I aparantly asked some of those repeatitive questions . My 1st post earned me a repremand "We're not running a which 1 kills better forum here and threads won't be allowed to turn into those kind of discussions'' . So I read some more . I was sent ''to the stickies'' at least twice, I'd read 200 threads related to what I was looking for by then. I did find an original way to ask the question that I needed to have answered to move on. It was something like ''if copper in the bbl is a lead magnet , why are copper gas checks ok ?'' Turned out that my problem was exactly that 50-60 yr of copper impaction,kind of funny actually that the 03-A3 worked fine but it was the 65' Savage 06' and 35' 32Rem that had the issues.

TXGunNut
05-19-2013, 11:04 AM
Looks like TFL has picked up quite a few newbie casters, many seem to be experienced reloaders. Last time I was there the casting section was pretty quiet. I suspect a few will find their way over here. CB members over there aren't afraid to plug a site dedicated to boolits.

Gliden07
05-19-2013, 11:56 PM
I called a buddy on the phone one afternoon and he answered in a very agitated voice. I asked him what he was upset about. "This @#$% phone has rung 50 times today!" I said "I didn't call you 50 times." "Yeah, you're right, I'm sorry, Jim, I didn't mean to blast you."

I told you that story to make my point. I distinctly remember, when I joined this crew of heathens over ten years ago, askin' a thousand questions. Each one was answered with patience and clarity.

The forum is growing exponentially and a lot of the new guys are where I was ten years ago. This is all new to them and they don't have a clue. I'm just glad they chose to come here. I take it as a respect for who we are and that they trust us for the information they need. Building ammunition is not something you ask about of the guy you're next to in line at Walmart.

We see the same ol' questions day after day. It's understandable that we might get a bit tired of it and blurt out "GO READ THE STICKIES!" Afrer all, how many times do I have to answer this?

The answer to that question is "How many new members do we have?" At the risk of sounding judgemental (that's not the intent), sometimes, it's a bit difficult to figure out how to get the search engine to give you what you're lookin' for. New guys don't know what to do, so they post.

It's very likely that I'm a bit more thin skinned or maybe I'm just a sap. I try to at least point somebody to the aisle where the peanut butter is. I find it rewarding to be thanked for a simple link to a thread.

I'm not pointin' fingers or listin' names. I didn't come here with a rope to hang anybody. I guess what I'm tryin' to say is when you see that same ol' question day after day, take a minute if you have the patience to help out. If you don't have the patience, nobody's faulting you for that. But don't respond with something that could be misconstrued and possibly drive a new guy away.

How many times have you seen "This forum is great, there's so much information here!" New guys write that because where they came from, they got kicked in the teeth for asking "What's the best powder to use for _____________?" I think it speaks highly of us that they came here, found the information, the help and the friendly atmosphere.

Think about that old man standing in the door of Walmart. How many times does he smile and say "Good mornin'!" ? He's got to get tired of that after awhile. You'd never know it though. Next time you see that same old question, think about the old man in the front door of Walmart. Could you handle his job?

I came here almost a year ago by luck (believe it or not!!). I have learned so much in that time and much of it has been due to the people on this site. Sure I asked a lot of the same questions that every "NEW GUY" would and, I was "hazed" for it sometime, but I must admit for the most part most of the people on this Forum exercised restraint and pointed me in the right direction! Thats why I stuck around! I even had members on this site come to my aide and tell other members to back off and cut me a break. For that I will be forever thankful!! I also realize that as a "NEW GUY" you need to be respectful and listen to suggestions without being offended, take your licks and ignore the one PITA that won't let it go!! I've said it before and I'll say it again, the biggest problems with forums like these is the posts have no personalities, so a response that is meant to help might seem ill tempered. Some of the guys that have been here for years (like Jim said in his original post) have forgotten what its like to be the "NEW GUY" that doesn't know the answers, nor how to approach the search function. I'm glad I stuck around and hope to keep learning, and will be able to contribute to the "NEW GUYS" questions. Thanks Jim for this post, puts a lot into perspective!!

Blacksmith
05-20-2013, 04:20 AM
The best way for me to find something on this site is to go to Google and type in Cast Boolits and the subject I am looking for. It usually works but can give too many answers.

Or try Google Advanced search and put Gunloads.com in the section "site or domain".
http://www.google.com/advanced_search?hl=en

The search for Felix Lube returns 14,400 hits

H.Callahan
05-20-2013, 11:10 AM
Or try Google Advanced search and put Gunloads.com in the section "site or domain".
http://www.google.com/advanced_search?hl=en
You can do the same thing on the basic Google search by typing Subject I am Looking For site:castboolits.gunloads.com. The "site:" argument limits the search only to the site or domain that is listed.

Gibbs44
05-20-2013, 07:55 PM
From a newb, thanks for the patience and advice to all who respond.

Sully

pmeisel
05-25-2013, 10:30 PM
This is a great forum and your post, Jim, says why.