PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know anything about Foley-Belsaw sharpening equipment

05-16-2013, 06:16 AM
I have chance to buy a 1055 Sharp All for $700.00 new in boxes. The price on their website is $880.00.

uscra112
05-16-2013, 07:50 AM
Not sure what that one is exactly, but I've seen Foley Belsaw sharpeners come up at farm auctions around here, and they go for $50 or so. Not much demand for saw sharpening in my neck of the woods, I guess.

KCSO
05-16-2013, 09:55 AM
A fellow I know was into this a few yeas ago and did all right. The biggest thing is are the stones all there and are they good because if they are worn out new ones will cost you as much as the tool. You wil have to have green stones as most all are using carbide blades now days and there when the blades go bad they usually lose a tooth or two rather then just get dull.

Cactus Farmer
05-16-2013, 10:21 AM
Is this for making$$$ or personal use? I got a collection of drill sharpening equip. and was set to rule the world. Not enough people need their drill sharpened to make any money. It seems most people throw them away.(sigh) Of course there is NO excuse for dull drills in my shop now,and it didn't cost me but +-$300 for all the tools.I might have broken even on the cost but I do like the ease of sharp tools anttime I want them.

starmac
05-16-2013, 01:07 PM
All I know is Moses must have been the one that started building them, they have been around forever.

05-16-2013, 06:13 PM
Not necessarily for making money but it would be nice to recoup my cost. I'm not sure what I will need to add to sharpen carbide but the jig to solder on new teeth costs another $700.00. The kit is still in the box and should have everything. The man that is selling it had a stroke right after he bought it.

labradigger1
05-16-2013, 07:32 PM
You can also sharpen planer blades, chisels, chainsaw chains, scissors,axes, bandsaw blade and numerous other tools. My dad has one and loves it. I have a belsaw 985 planer that has had untold thousands of bd ft through it w/ no problems. Belsaw is one tough tool.

shooter93
05-17-2013, 06:22 PM
Some areas there is a good market for sharpening blades and others not at all. Used to be several guys around here but the advancement in high tech blades and the special tooling to sharpen them it died. Circular saw blades are toss aways and for the cabinet/furniture shop I send them all out. I keep tons of duplicates so I alaways have sharp ones around. I never saw an advantage to being able to sharpen them myself with the cost of the tooling. Older style blades and handsaws I can sharpen by hand if it got to that. Ask around construction sites and lumber yards there....it may be good for you though......one thing though...I'm begining to think I'm the only guy left who knows how to use a handsaw properly....lol.

Girl Sharpshooter
08-19-2013, 05:12 AM
I have chance to buy a 1055 Sharp All for $700.00 new in boxes. The price on their website is $880.00.

Hi, my father has 2 of these 1055 Sharp Alls. If you need a manual, I can make copies of his. I think his machines are more than 25 years old so I don't think there is a copyright issue. :grin:

shooter2
08-19-2013, 12:47 PM
The first thing I would do is check the local competition. The company I use has a unit that is computer controlled with 400 grit diamond wheels and grinds my carbide blades to exactly the right angles and at a fair price.

Could you compete with that?

skeettx
08-19-2013, 12:51 PM
Why you could be a GUN for that money and have someone else sharpen your blades
Mike

mroliver77
08-20-2013, 12:11 AM
New is $880. on their sight. I paid $100 for mine used with a couple tools. If you know and builders or carpenters you can get dull blades cheap or free. Sharpen and sell for a few bucks.
People here put signs in all the hardwares, farm shops etc and do a good business if they do good and honest work. Stones are not that bad price wise. I have rarely regretted buying tools.

08-20-2013, 05:45 AM
Didn't buy the kit. I figured I would never be able to recoup the money and if I am going to spend $1400.00 plus on a hobby I'd buy a gun.