PDA

View Full Version : New to casting. What do I need to start?

stewfish
05-15-2013, 11:47 PM
I've been doing a bit of reading here and figured that I would join in.

Recently, I've been apprehensive to actually shoot my firearms due to The Panic. The little shooting that I have done has been 44 cal. cast 240 grainers over Red Dot out of a SRH. I have some in reserves, but I wanted to buy some more at the range I am a member at. They were all sold out, and they wouldn't have more until they mine the backstops.

After I got the go ahead to mine during the off hours, I ended up with 213 pounds of ingots using a smelter that I made with pictures on this site. Thanks for that. I also have a five gallon bucket of copper jackets.

Now the real question is, the rest of the equipment is a bit of a mystery to me. I don't know if I could get the job done with a ladle and a pot, or if I need some fancy bottom pour and lubrisizer. Heck, I don't even know what's good stuff and what to avoid. I like to buy once, cry once.

What I'm looking for is to cast for a .44 magnum, .45 acp, and a good hunting bullet for a .30-30. At the most, maybe 1000 rounds a year. I've got some money that I can spend, but the kids still like to eat three times a day, so I need to make it count. Any advice is appreciated.

GLL
05-15-2013, 11:58 PM
For low production I would get:

1) Old cast iron pot

2) Ladle from RCBS, Lyman, or Rowell #1

3) Propane single burner cooker (turkey fryer type or heavy duty camp stove like Camp-Chief)

4) Thermometer

5) I would personally use 2-cavity RCBS molds for low production like you need

6) safety stuff

If at some later date you need to increase production all of this equipment is still needed/useful anyway !

Jerry

stewfish
05-16-2013, 07:57 PM
Thanks. Exactly what I was looking for.

wv109323
05-16-2013, 09:42 PM
I also agree GLL. That is about minimum to get started. You may consider that if you have access to lead you could sell or trade that for up grades to your equipment.

roberto mervicini
05-17-2013, 12:06 AM
I am also relatively new, started 2 yrs a go. Bought a book on casting and read lot info on line. Use wheel weight as source of lead, smelt outside on the side burner of the BBQ using a large cast iron camp kettle, modify a kitchen spoon by drilling holes and fitted with wood handle to scoop the metal clip out. Had a small cast iron pot that I fitted with wise grip and work fine to fill the small muffin pan.
Purchased Lee 10 lb melting pot for casting, ordered moulds and Lee resizers and I am set.