PDA

View Full Version : Need a little help

Liberty'sSon
05-15-2013, 11:05 PM
Hopefully this is in the right place. I want to load cast in 300 Blackout on a dillon 550. Dillon calls for the AK powder funnel which doesn't expand the case neck. I don't want to swage the bullets, but I'd rather not have to pull the round off of the dillon to run it through a Lyman m die and then put it back on the dillon press. Any suggestions?

SciFiJim
05-16-2013, 01:55 AM
I had to look at the Dillon website to find the 550 has 4 stations. If you can run a primed round through a Lyman M die without pushing the primer out with air pressure, then put the M die in station 2 and shift everything else over and crimp separately after all other processes are done.

Another thought is to have a larger power thru expander turned down to the size that you need.

Jupiter7
05-16-2013, 07:55 AM
I'd resize/decap and expand as a batch. Then prime, load,seat and crimp with ready to go brass.

bobthenailer
05-16-2013, 08:01 AM
Instead of using the rifle type powder drop tube use the pistol type 30 cal expanding drop tube , i use this for loading my 32/20 AKA 30/20 with RCBS 165gr sil cast bullet and 22 hornet on the dillon 550.
I resize , deprime and expand the case at station 1 useing Redding neck sizer dies with a Tungsten carbide expander ball and bell the case & drop the powder in station 2, seat the bullet in station 3 and lightly taper crimp in station 4. with excellent results & accuracy

Liberty'sSon
05-16-2013, 01:29 PM
Some great input. So far I'm liking Bobthenailers suggestion of using a pistol powder thru expander to mimic what the m die would do. I considered having another die turned down and may still do that if I need to. Lastly doing them in batches as Jupiter said wouldn't be the end of the world either. Thanks guys.

country gent
05-16-2013, 02:12 PM
It wouldnt be much work to turn up a new one from bar stock even with a lathe handy. Drill and ream the thru hole turn the end dia and angle you belling ( expander portion) then the body if needed. Cut of to length and deburr. A smple easy part to make. A local machine shop could make it pretty easily in 1/2 hour or so pretty easy. I would have done it on my lunch break at work. If you want to get fancy heat and harden it before polishing. But isnt really neccesary.

Larry Gibson
05-16-2013, 07:07 PM
When loading cast on my 550B when the funnel doesn't expand the case mouth I put the M die in station 3 and the seater in station 4. In operation the bullet is set into the expanded case neck at station 3 and then it is rotated to station 4 for bullet seating. Just a slight variation of the usual routine is all. Works quite well and I do it often.

Larry Gibson

bikerbeans
05-17-2013, 06:58 AM
I use the 30 cal pistol expanding powder funnel to load 300AAC & M1 .30 carbine on my Dillon 550. It works fine.

BB