PDA

View Full Version : Shooting impression of a Kimber Ultra CDP II

Dale53
09-14-2007, 01:09 AM
Earlier this year, I made a trade for a Kimber Ultra CDP II (3" barrel .45 ACP). I am typically a "form follows function" kind of guy. However, this piece absolutely won my heart for "Prettiest around" the first time I laid eyes on it. A very good friend offered it to me and I had to really act Blase' as he is a VERY good salesman and like all good salesmen he can read most people like a book. I looked as nonchalant as I could and tried to do the best that I could do. However, I was up against a "Professional". I made the deal (it was a decent trade) but most probably because he felt sorry for me (slobbering like that, and all:roll:).

It carries SO nice but "everyone knows" these 3" 1911's are undependable and a pain to keep running, etc (you know the drill). Now, I won't carry a gun until I have about 500 rounds through them and determine that they are reliable. I figured that this piece might not make my standards and would end up a "safe queen". Further, I also "knew" these things wouldn't shoot well, etc (you've heard that story also). Of course, since I am not a LEO, if a perp is very far away when trouble starts, I will just leave (I don't have to arrest him, I just have to protect myself and those I am responsible for). A self defense gun doesn't really have to be a Camp Perry piece to work well for the job it is intended for.

Boy, did I get a surprise! The first target out of the box was shot two handed standing at 25 yards on the 25 yard timed fire target. It was a 95x100 with nothing worse than a nine. I couldn't believe it! Believing it to be a fluke, I shot another target. Same results. This morning I was trying out my new home built brass catcher so I shot another target (was really out to test my tune up on my S&W 625-8). Shot the exact same score again! Five nines and the rest 10's. Now, my "X" count was not high but I was very happy with this little carry gun. I was shooting the very nice issue sights (I am nearly blind in my right eye but I had my computer glasses on so had a pretty decent sight picture with those excellent sights).

One other thing that was somewhat interesting. I was shooting a "tailored for revolver" load of 4.5 grs of Win 231 with the H&G #130 cast bullet with nary a bobble (issue springs and all). Any of you that load for .45 ACP knows that this is a mid range load and it won't work in just any 1911.

I have done nothing to this piece. It is just as issued (albeit from the Kimber Custom Shop) and has a very nice 4 lb trigger. Further, I will be doing NOTHING to this piece but shooting it from time to time to keep my hand in with my new carry piece (as soon as I "Certify" it).

If the rest of the Ultra CDP II's are like this then Kimber has a winner on their hands. Functional as well as pretty. "Pretty is as pretty does!!" This one is PRETTY!:drinks: :drinks:

Dale53

Lloyd Smale
09-14-2007, 06:07 AM
Ive had two cdps the 3 inch like yours and the officers grip with a 4 inch barrel too. Probably the stupidest trades i ever made were getting rid of those two guns. Ill tell people till i die that there probably the best ccw 1911 on the market for ANY price. Both of mine were a 100percent reliable with any bullet i used in them and both were very accurate. For fun one day i shot a ppc competition with the 3 inch gun and shot a 292/300 and took a second place experts trophy home with it. It may have been just a good day for me but i usually dont shoot much if any better with my comp. guns. Someday soon i want to replace that 4 inch gun as in my opinion the 4 inch officers framed guns are about the best ccw gun made.

BruceB
09-14-2007, 07:28 AM
Yeah, I've always had a fuddy-duddy mistrust of the short-short 1911-type pistolas.

A couple years back, a friend and I took five or six .45s to the range for a workout, and one of them was his Kimber CDP. Not only did it function perfectly with three or four different cast-bullet designs, including semi-wadcutters, but it was ACCURATE. At one point, I fired seven rounds at a one-gallon plastic jug from about 100 yards....and hit with all seven!

We also chronographed all the various loads in most of the guns, and found that the CDP only lost about 60-70 fps as compared to the 5" 1911s.

I gained a new respect for short .45s, and was forced to recant on my opinion that "They can't function OR hit worth a damn."

BD
09-14-2007, 08:19 AM
Kimber definately got the 3" 1911s right. I have a series one Ultra carry with about 5,000 rounds through it. Never had an issue other than premature slide lock back using BD acps before I "detented" the slide lock to accept the plunger. I was cleaning this gun last fall and noticed that the ejector tip was broken off. the little gun still ran just fine. After taking a close look at things I came to the conclusion that several of my Wilson officers mags had the mag catch slot machined a hair too low on the mag allowing the rear of the mag to contact the ejector. I'm sure I busted it off shooting IDPA. I used to carry this gun a lot, so I'd shoot one match a month with it at least. If the strings were of a more "up close and personal" nature the 3" gun would often give me a better time than my 5" gun with it's mag well and fiber optic front sight. Pretty impressive. I don't carry it anymore as it's been replaced by a 4" procarry with a bobtail grip frame. I feel that that is truely the ideal carry gun. 8 in the mag, my whole hand on the grip, and it doesn't print any more than the Ultra carry. Somewhere on castpics I think I'd posted chrony results for the Federal Hydroshocks in a comparison out of all three barrel lengths. When I get somewhere I can spend some time at an outdoor range I'll do the same thing with the Ranger RTs.
BD

Dale53
09-14-2007, 10:52 AM
Lloyd;
That is some really good shooting with the CDP II (292x300 on the PPC Course). A few months ago, I would have taken that statement with a grain of salt. However, after shooting this little feller, I am a BELIEVER! I doubt that I would do that well (it's close to my limit with my K-38 PPC gun) but it is good to know that I am not just dreaming:-D .

Bruce B;
I believe it, I believe it. I haven't actually chronographed the velocities with various barrel lengths but I have read a couple of good articles on just that very thing. The loss of velocity is inconsequential. That is one of the advantages of a large expansion ratio with the big bores.

I come from the 1911 school where you bought a new Colt, It wouldn't feed, it wouldn't shoot and had a trigger from Hell before you took it to your favorite pistol smith for a complete (and I mean complete) makeover. I still have my two Harold Johnson smithed guns that were (and still are pretty much) "state of the art". In the past couple of years I have kind of "gotten back in" the 1911 game and I can tell you true, that these Kimber offerings show me a whole lot of gun and they don't exactly cost you the farm.
We are SO-O-O-O fortunate today in what is available.

You know, I had just about quit shooting my autos simply because it is SO NOT FUN to pick up brass at my age. Now that I have a decent brass catcher working, my attitude is changing (see, even " Ol' Pig Headed " can change[smilie=1:.

Dale53

felix
09-14-2007, 11:10 AM
Talking about the Kimbers, the family down here obtained three of the 5" full target models about just after they first came out. The only thing I had to compare them with were the Dinans' and Clarks' like models of years past. They felt and shot every bit as good except for the triggers. The Kimbers' sucked for exquisite bullseye work when compared, so one of the Kimbers was expertly modified with another proven trigger that was perfect in all respects, and was moved up in pressure to break at 3 pounds plus or minus a couple of ounces, producing a perfect outdoor gun. That particular gun was passed on to someone who knew what he got. My two sons shoot the other two having the sub-standard triggers, but they could care less in totum. The Kimber guns are truly a good deal out of the box, and are recommended. However, others may be just as good nowadays because of the competition in making the guns by the factories instead of by the specialized individuals. ... felix

NVcurmudgeon
09-14-2007, 11:55 AM
A year or two ago a friend who is a hunter and CCW license holder, but not a hobby shooter, asked me to test drive his Kimber 3" .45. I don't know exactly which model it is, but it had a rather plain finish. The owner had been having reliability problems with CCI Blazer GI hardball equivalents. So did I! OTOH, Winchester white box hardball and my H&G 200 gr. SWC target loads ran through the little Kimber flawlessly and with excellent accuracy. Very impressive, like all Kimbers I have had my hands on.

Snapping Twig
09-14-2007, 03:36 PM
Mine is a 5" Custom CDP II. I can't say enough about it! I had some issues during break-in with FTRB, but it was all about dirt and oil.

After I got past 350 rounds, you couldn't jam it if you tried. Damn thing shoots like a laser beam, feeds ANYTHING, mixed mag or not and feels like a Cadillac.

I'm liking Kimber and agree that they are a fantastic value.

BTW, Kimber has gone back to the internal extractor, just like St. John wanted. :)

Lloyd Smale
09-14-2007, 04:43 PM
Dale that score is about my average. My best ever was a 299 with a 1911 and my best ever revolver was a 296 with my clark ppc gun. Most matches i come in in the low 290s. I once even shot a round with my 454 alaskan that i had moon clipped with full house 454s in it and shot a 284 not spectacular but still good enough that in got me a lower class trophy. Sure rattled some people on the line though. I told them before i shot that they may want to let me shoot it alone but 4 other guys stepped up to the line anyway. The guys next to me said they could feel the muzzle blast on there face!! It got a standing ovation at the awards ceremony afterwards.

Dale53
09-15-2007, 12:11 AM
Lloyd;
That is a real accomplishment. You know, when I was shooting PPC I mentioned that while it was a LOT of fun, it wasn't much of a combat course. However, I "opined" that it WAS a terrific "hunting course". Using a "real" revolver (.44 magnum loaded full house) and shooting a decent score over that course pretty well prepares you for required hunting "shooting skills".

My shooting buddy and I would fire as many as 2500 rounds of full house .44 mags in the weeks just before hunting season so as to be ready (really ready) when called upon to perform. Needless to say, neither of us "let the team down". I also did a good bit of "stalking practice". Nothing better than beating the deer at their own game (slinking around:-D ).

Back on topic:

Today, I believe that you could just step up and purchase the appropriate Kimber (and no doubt, a couple of others) without spending half a years wages, and have competitive equipment in most any game you want to play. These "young pups" have things that we never dreamed of right off the shelf. (good Lord, I sound like a certified "OLD FART" - well, I guess that is what I am, so there!:mrgreen: ).

Dale53

Dale53

Lloyd Smale
09-15-2007, 07:41 AM
dale i agree on both counts here. PPC shooting is far from combat shooting. About the only edge it gives a guy that competes that relates to the real world is that your shooting under some pressure as any competition puts you under pressure and your shooting with other guns going off while your trying to consentrate but other then that it doesnt relate to combat a bit. Most of it is shot with the gun at ready and would be better if it at least was started with a holstered gun. I also agree that most people are best served with a out of the box gun. I do shoot revolver class with a custom clark gun but do it only because i got a steal on it. Auto class is shot with either a colt gold cup a kimber gold match or a sti trojan 9mm. All of them stock except for an action job. ALot of guys show up at them thinking they can buy there way to better scores with fancy equiptment but what i fear when i show up is the guy with the beat up old colt or 15 smith that has no bluing left. Thats the guy who shoots his gun!! Dale just do me a favor and hang on to that kimber. I regret everyday swapping of the two cdps i had. Like i said youd have to search very far and have a real fat wallet to buy yourself ANY better ccw gun then you have there. When i got my first one i was turned off by the two toned crap and pretty grips but after a couple thousand rounds went and bought a second one. They have it all. There light reliable accuarte and set up like a gun costing twice as much.

Dale53
09-15-2007, 08:39 AM
After you have a decent piece (with reliability heading the list, then you need a good loader (minimum a Lee Turret - preferably the Classic Turret four holer) or better yet a Dillon 550B (that's what I use), a good multi-cavity bullet mould (or the money to buy large quantities of cast bullets).

After you have the gear, then serious practice needs to occur. This should be with your carry gun if you do carry concealed. A good regimen requires at least once a week to improve (twice is better, of course) and a well thought out "program" of tasks to perform (handshaking distance from the leather, 7 yards from the leather, 10 yards from the leather, and 25 yards from the leather). A study of the use of cover and all of the skills that are needed to survive.

NOTE: This practice should be with your carry gun (cannot emphasize that enough) in your proper carry holster (not your race rig in a skeleton holster) AND WITH THE TYPE OF CLOTHING THAT YOU NORMALLY WEAR. If you normally wear a vest or jacket to cover the gun, THAT is what you wear to practice.

Do your leaning at home with an empty (that's REALLY empty, folks), gun and strive for smoothness. Speed will come naturally. It is important NOT to press for speed. Your draw needs to be RELIABLE, not super fast. Learn to move the jacket, grasp the grip of the handgun, be sure you don't have a wad of shirt or jacket with the gun, and smoothly point the gun towards the "target". Smoothness and reliability, that's what we want.

It becomes VERY satisfying when the skill level becomes high.

My life was threatened once by a phone call to my wife. I had no idea how serious this was (it turned out the target was a co-worker but the threat had me as the target thru mistaken identity). It took a week to neutralize the threat and I can remember being "Determined", not scared. The thing that allowed me that luxury was my skill level. In Ohio at that time, we had no concealed carry, so I did the necessary to let the local LEO"s know that I was under threat and I carried my .357 magnum in a briefcase (I was a business man at the time). Understand, this was a "quick draw" briefcase and I could make the shot, including reaction time in under a second. It sure was comforting while we got the threat sorted out. I practiced seriously "from the briefcase" until I was absolutely reliable. Of course, it didn't hurt that I was a Class "A" IPSC shooter (when IPSC was a martial art - not a game). You need to be "in shape" with your gun handling skills BEFORE the threat occurs (that goes without saying).

Dale53

Dale53
09-15-2007, 09:16 PM
Lloyd;
Reading my last post, I realize that it appears that it is directed at you. NOT SO! I just thought it would be useful for a newbie since we were talking about self defense guns. Unfortunately, I did not label it as such.

I know that the people that replied to this post have LOTS of experience and certainly don't need me to "instruct" them.

Hope I didn't offend anyone (sure was not intended, if I did...

Dale53

Lloyd Smale
09-16-2007, 05:27 AM
didnt take it that way dale and its excellent advice for anyone at any level.