PDA

View Full Version : loading low weight loads?

silas oberhauser
05-15-2013, 05:09 PM
how do loads react when you subsutute a heavy load for a lighter one? like this load=
7/8oz shot CCI 209 17gr of 20/28 Windjammer wad 1200fps 8060psi
if you subsutute a the 7/8oz with say 1/2 oz? i woud think pressure would go down and you would get a higher velocity. but also know that the powder needs to have pressure to burn completely.

longbow
05-15-2013, 07:36 PM
I light loaded 12 ga. for my son when he was about 13 by just dropping the powder charge a bit (maybe 10%). It worked fine with Unique and 1 1/8 oz. loads. Not sure of ballistic consistency but they shot well and accounted for several grouse for him.

However, that is same weight of shot with reduced powder charge.

I think you might get away with it using the faster powders like 700X, Red Dot, Clays or any fast powder (using a published recipe to start with then reducing). I think the fast powders are less sensitive to "load" requirements to get a reasonably clean burn.

Best is to get hold of some light load recipes like in BPI's light load bulletins. BPI also lists some light loads in their shotshell reloading manual. Not sure if they go under 7/8 oz. though. I do recall some short English style loads, for 2 1/2" hulls I think, that used Bullseye.

Hah! I am assuming we are talking 12 ga.

Longbow

RickinTN
05-15-2013, 08:25 PM
There may be data available for your 1/2 oz shot charge. The first thing I think will happen is you won't have the cartridge "full" enough to get a proper crimp. Shotshell loads are very balanced not only in powder charge and shot charge but also how much space the components take up. You'll probably need a different wad, or cardboard disc in the bottom of the wad you're using to take up the space.
If your looking for low recoil, the 7/8 oz at 1,200 fps is pretty light.
Good Luck,
Rick

badboyparamedic
05-15-2013, 09:30 PM
I have loaded AA hulls with 14gr of 700X or 14gr of Promo, AASL wads and 7/8 oz of shot for the last 3-4 years. Very light load with no pressure problems.

silas oberhauser
05-15-2013, 09:31 PM
Thanks, I am actually using a .54 ball with cork board under the ball to bring the height up

35remington
05-15-2013, 10:11 PM
Your load suggests you are using a 20.

By using a too light shot charge with 20/28 powder you are risking what is called a "blooper" where the pressure is so low the powder doesn't burn and the load barely makes it out the muzzle. Pressures must be reasonable or the load won't go bang reliably, especially as temperature drops.

A drop from 7/8 ounce to only half an ounce of shot in 20 gauge is radical.....too much so. A step to a much faster than normal powder is needed, such as Red Dot, which is ordinarily too fast for 20 gauge.

Little data for so doing exists but a fairly recent edition of Handloader addressed the idea of shot charges this light in the 20. 20/28 is likely much, much too slow for 1/2 ounce loads. The author of the article had the most success with Red Dot and 700X. Ask if you are curious and I can send the info.

Badboyparamedic's use of 14 grains Promo or 700X with 7/8 ounce of shot is a bad idea and I suggest you do not emulate it IF he is using it in a 20. If he's using it in a 12 gauge, have at it, but pressures will be quite low.

dverna
05-16-2013, 07:55 AM
Silas

Go to the Alliant web site and ask their opinion. I have found them to be very helpful and quick to answer. Plus you get an answer from the factory that is not based on speculation/opinion - and likely to be safer.

You will need to tell them the gauge, as some here have assumed 12 but I agree with the last man who thinks it is a 20

Don Verna

silas oberhauser
05-16-2013, 12:09 PM
You are correct, I am using a 20 ga and so far with 20/28 I have not had any bloopers loading 14-18gr seems to work nicely and accurate. My only problem is finding loads. I got some international clays the other day but was told it would ne too fast.

35remington
05-17-2013, 12:14 AM
Half ounce would be blooper ish with 20/28.

badboyparamedic
05-22-2013, 10:04 AM
35Remington,

I owe you and the OP an apology, I didn't notice he was using 20 gauge. My fault, I never intended to give bad info.

woody1
05-25-2013, 11:06 AM
A 5/8 oz. load I have used successfully in the 20 ga. uses Green Dot 14.8 grains, most any standard primer, Remington or Winchester tapered cases, WAA20 or Rem RXP20 wads, and obviously 5/8 oz. shot. You'll need to add filler in the shotcup to bring the shot level up for proper crimp. Most anything you want to throw in there will work from Cheerios to a styro wad. My grandson shot hundreds of these when he was younger. Of course I can't recommend them to you but will tell you that they work for me and mine. Regards, Woody