PDA

View Full Version : Custom muzzleloader barrels?

Fly
05-15-2013, 02:42 PM
I was reading Rons sticky on paper patching.I really want to make a hot rod muzzleloader,
something like his.But now that Green Mountain no longer make muzzle loader barrels, who
does?
Fly:coffeecom

nagantguy
05-15-2013, 03:10 PM
Not for a smoke pole but E.R. Shaw has made a few barrels for me that I have been very happy with. Wouldn't hurt to call them.

Mike Brooks
05-15-2013, 06:49 PM
I use Bob Hoyt most of the time.

johnson1942
05-15-2013, 08:09 PM
douglas made me my barrel in both .50 cal and .45 cal. they are high quality barrels and tack drivers. they dont octagon shape, round only so if you want a douglas octagon barrel some one else will have to shape it from their blank.

idahoron
05-15-2013, 09:23 PM
I ordered a 45 barrel this spring and got it. It was a 1" 45 stainless with a 1-30 twist. It was my understanding that they were moving the company and were just stopping the mfg for a while. I was under the impression that they would be back to making at least blued barrels. I found this company but I have never used them. Ron

http://www.thegunworks.com/GunIndex.cfm?CFID=1394122&CFTOKEN=40347291

John Taylor
05-15-2013, 09:26 PM
GM is making M/L barrel again but no 32 or 36 caliber.I was told the man that repaired the tooling for the smaller calibers retired and they don't have anyone to do it. Jim Carpenter will make cusuom barrel, just got a 36 from him (208-582-2091). I make a few for under hammers but I am backed up with other work.

johnson1942
05-15-2013, 11:59 PM
the company idaho ron suggested made a barrel for me last winter and it is a good one. they use leaded steel in their muzzle loader barrels which is a good barrel. if i was to say anything neg it wouldnt be against the barrel maker but i find leaded steel a little sticky in cleaning no matter how polished the bore is. that may even be a plus in accracy. i shoot a 533 grain cast bullet in that barrel. it is a 1/28 twist .50 cal 36 inches long. cuts center every time at 100 yards. their prices are good and when you order a .50 cal from them it is a .50 not a .501 or .502

waksupi
05-16-2013, 12:25 PM
I do not like leaded steel barrels. I condemned a shipment of 200 of them some years back. The boss threw a fit, but after he had a hardness test done on them, he agreed. WAY too soft, easily bent. These were for centerfire chamberings, it may be fine for muzzle loaders.

square butte
05-16-2013, 12:36 PM
I have not tried one of his barrels - But I know fair number of folks who like Charles Burton's barrels in Kentucky. He will do custom profiles - Also round bottom groove rifling. Believe he also uses 12L-14 which is leaded. Has anyone mentioned Ed Rayle in WV? His barrels are well liked - but he is quite a ways out at this time. I have 2 on order with him. One order is three years old - the other is 2.

Good Cheer
05-16-2013, 08:17 PM
Got a Rayl .40 that's top notch. By that example you get what you say you want.
The four Hoyt barrel rebores that I've gotten are very nice. The .458 bore fast twist reline is a joy, like having a .45 rifle that I don't have to wash the brass!

fouronesix
05-16-2013, 10:59 PM
When looking for custom ML barrels you may have to take what you can get at any one time- or get on a waiting list for some unknown time. Most are fairly small operations and many are back logged. By a twist of fate, last year I was getting some parts together to build a ML and thought a Rayl barrel was available- but it wasn't :(. Had to hustle around but located a DeHaas in correct caliber and specs. I don't have as much experience as others in comparing a whole bunch of different makers, but this DeHaas is one fine shooter!

DIRT Farmer
05-16-2013, 11:01 PM
I haven't used one of Charlie Burton's barrels yet but have a 28 ga horsepistol barrel, smooth bore ordered to pick up at Frindship.
His address is flintlockcalb50athotmail

rmark
05-16-2013, 11:04 PM
Gunworks Muzzleloading Emporium carries Oregon Barrel Co. drop in barrels.

StolzerandSons
05-17-2013, 02:33 PM
the company idaho ron suggested made a barrel for me last winter and it is a good one. they use leaded steel in their muzzle loader barrels which is a good barrel. if i was to say anything neg it wouldnt be against the barrel maker but i find leaded steel a little sticky in cleaning no matter how polished the bore is. that may even be a plus in accracy. i shoot a 533 grain cast bullet in that barrel. it is a 1/28 twist .50 cal 36 inches long. cuts center every time at 100 yards. their prices are good and when you order a .50 cal from them it is a .50 not a .501 or .502

I do a lot of big bore barrel business with Joe Williams at The Gun Works. I spoke to him a few months ago and he informed me that he is getting away from leaded steel and will be making barrels from 1144 in the near future.

Joe's barrels are top quality and his customers service is excellent, turn around time has been very good also compared to other custom barrel makers I have dealt with.

Colin

mainiac
05-17-2013, 03:34 PM
Im surprised colerain barrells havent been mentioned,,,,,,I love them,aint had a bad one yet.

johnson1942
05-17-2013, 04:40 PM
stolzerandsons: thanks for the info about getting away from leaded steel. what i liked about the gun works barrels and douglas barrels. when you ordered a .50 cal from them thats what you got. .50 on the money. again i think leaded steel is sticky smooth not slippry smooth. also norm johnson at turtle lake north dakota does a nice barrel.

Good Cheer
05-17-2013, 07:51 PM
I want a fast twist .36 to paper patch all those .38 caliber pistol molds that are floating around.