PDA

View Full Version : sig p226, waterproof?

KinkBreaker
05-15-2013, 11:08 AM
how waterproof is any old normal modern pistol? and how would someone go about making the ammo waterproof?

texassako
05-15-2013, 11:29 AM
I used Markron sealer on some .38 Specials that lived in a tackle box, kinda looked like a nail polish bottle but not the same when you opened it. I don't know about a waterproof gun, how waterproof you need? I choose stainless and plastic for those days when the gun may go in the drink and I can't clean it right away, also good for sweaty work days.

KinkBreaker
05-15-2013, 11:56 AM
hey thanks the markron stuff looks like just the ticket.
we do a bit of canoeing over the summer. when canoeing things just get wet, especially whitewater canoeing
so i guess the next part will be just the few steel parts in the pistol, any thoughts anyone?

gwpercle
05-15-2013, 01:47 PM
Short of storage in a zip lock plastic bag, not much comes to mind. Guns can survive a dunking in water, just shake it out and make sure nothings in the barrel , it should function. At night give it a good clean/oil and you ready for the next day.

KinkBreaker
05-15-2013, 02:01 PM
Yeah I was kinda thinking of any time I hunt in the rain I just get every thing dry and then lubed back up later. But I was wondering because I may not be able to service up the pistol till the next day.
It's not as though ill be scuba diving with it and shooting it underwater. It just will be getting wet.
Is there a wd40 kinda stuff that's not wd40

Mk42gunner
05-15-2013, 10:31 PM
Paste Wax.

Ragnarok
05-15-2013, 10:46 PM
The old West german Sig P226 pistols will rust...slide and grip screws mostly..never noticed the barrel rusting much but it proabably would too

KinkBreaker
05-16-2013, 08:08 AM
this is a newer one like 3 years old or so, supposedly has stainless steel slide

mk42 are you saying paste wax on the gun parts?

x101airborne
05-16-2013, 08:45 AM
My BIL's Sig on patrol got rained on and he forgot to clean it. It rusted shut.
I carried a Glock on patrol, only because most officers were carrying Glocks and I wanted to be able to knock em out and take their ammo in a gunfight. I mean, ummm, if I were wounded, they could use mine..... Yeah, that's what I meant.
Anyhow.... I took mine offshore fishing and I got sick. The pistol sat in saltwater for two weeks straight. Ammo and all. My buddy that went fishing with me asked about my chartbook and I found the pistol all cruddy. He asked "Do you think it will fire again?" I said "Dunno" and fired all 18 rounds into the dirt.
For extreme use.... Go Glock if you can.

KinkBreaker
05-16-2013, 08:50 AM
wow in salt water?! usually saltwater kills everything but the fish.
i dont have no glocks. its not that i hate them or anything, just dont shoot them very well

x101airborne
05-16-2013, 08:57 AM
Yeah, not some of the most accurate like Bullseye pistols, but for extreme duty and good nuff accuracy, I like the Glock. Their no fail engineering is something to marvel at. There are finer pistols for accuracy, for sure. But corrosion protection and bang every time function, I would buy a used glock for the type of expeditions you are talking about.

gray wolf
05-16-2013, 07:36 PM
A good wash down with WD 40 is going displace a lot of water and dampness and wont hurt a thing for a few days. I keep a can of gun scrubber in camp and wash off the WD40 as soon as I can and then reapply a good lube. WD 40 can be had in very small cans that can be packed easily. I also carry a 10" piece of heavy weed whacker string, heat one end and press it against a knife blade
this will make a flat bump on one end. Cut the other end on a long bevel to make a sharp point. Push the point through the center of a patch and run it down to the flat bump, the flattened end will hold the patch on. Use it like a bore snake to dry the barrel and remove any extra lube or oil, even works to clean the barrel, the patches can be doubled for more cleaning action ( use two patches )

Mk42gunner
05-16-2013, 10:50 PM
this is a newer one like 3 years old or so, supposedly has stainless steel slide

mk42 are you saying paste wax on the gun parts?

Yes, take the gun apart and apply a fairly heavy coat of paste wax, then buff it off. Put about two coats on and for occasional dunkings you shouldn't have any problems. Wax will stay on better than a coat of oil.

Fresh water won't hurt your gun, as long as you clean and dry it and reapply oil soon after it gets wet.

Robert

rintinglen
05-17-2013, 02:20 AM
WD-40 is exactly the thing to have if your pistol takes a dunking. This K-22 fell in the Crick I was fishing in, I took it out of the water, took off the grips, and took the little can of WD40 I had with me and gave it a liberal spraying,concentrating on the parts inside the action and cylinder. Though it was a day and a half before I could get home, get it apart and give it a thorough cleaning, I had no rust. WD 40 is not a long-term rust preventative, there are better penetrating oils out there, but the WD stands for "Water Displacing." It works very well for that purpose.
The swimming incident was in either 75 or 76, It still had wooden grips then. The uncle mikes on there now Came about 17 years later. This gun has fired at least 25,000 rounds, maybe more.

KinkBreaker
05-17-2013, 08:25 AM
alright this is great stuff, seems like i can get by no problem with some paste wax pretreatment and wd40 after. now ill just need a lanyard so it wont end up on the bottom of the river.

gray wolf
05-17-2013, 02:01 PM
paste wax pretreatment and wd40
Don't put the WD40 over the Wax, the WD40 will probably dissolve the wax,
--no it will dissolve the Wax.

x101airborne
05-17-2013, 10:27 PM
alright this is great stuff, seems like i can get by no problem with some paste wax pretreatment and wd40 after. now ill just need a lanyard so it wont end up on the bottom of the river.

I have a nice military style one for free if you will PM me.
Super heavy duty clip on one end with swivel and the other will velcro over a 3 inch belt and be darned if you can rip it off. I use one hog hunting when I am running the woods at night and they are gold in the hand.

KinkBreaker
05-18-2013, 08:40 AM
no i meant like use the paste wax before going to the river and then use the wd40 if it does actually get dunked.

thats awesome airborne i really appreciate that

Sig
05-18-2013, 08:09 PM
I haven't used it personally, but I've read good things about "Frog-lube" protecting metal.

Copper75
05-18-2013, 10:18 PM
Carried three different sig pistols over the years (sig 1911 at the present. Got them wet in the rain several times Clean and oil that night, never had any rust problems or adverse effects.