PDA

View Full Version : Powder Inc. explosion today

waksupi
05-14-2013, 10:57 PM
I know lots of us have done business with these people over the years. Best hopes for the young man.

http://5newsonline.com/2013/05/14/injury-reported-in-explosion-near-clarksville/

One man was critically injured after a fire sparked an explosion at a black powder business in Clarksville early Tuesday (May14), said Brandon Morris, spokesman for the Arkansas Department of Emergency Management. Jared Dean, the business owner’s son, was taken to a Little Rock hospital by helicopter. According to the sheriff’s office, he sustained severe burns to his body and was the only person in the building at the time.
Deputies from the Johnson County Sheriff’s Office, Rural Fire Department #1, Clarksville Fire Department and the Office of Emergency Services responded.
Fire officials say the business, Black Powder, Inc., is located at 400 County Road 3455 north of Clarksville.
An answering message for the business stated they would be closed “due to a family emergency” Tuesday and Wednesday. The business is owned by Jerry Dean, according to the sheriff.
The scene was secured and investigators from the Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms Office in Little Rock are assisting with the investigation, according to the sheriff’s office.
Billy Ward, a Clarksville resident, was one of the first people on the scene.
“Bullets start going off, I mean just ‘Bam, bam, bam, bam,’ I got hit probably five to six times,” Ward said. “I know Jared got hit because the side of his face was bloody and another one of the neighbors was hit in the back.”
Ward was there as Dean was pulled from the building.
“He was burnt pretty good, I mean, his top of his head and the side of his face,” said Ward.
A spokeswoman at Arkansas Children’s Hospital tells 5NEWS that Dean is in critical condition and is being treated at the burn unit.

MtGun44
05-14-2013, 11:07 PM
Sorry to hear this. Hope he recovers. Was this only a BP business or did they
have smokeless on site also?

Bill

Dean D.
05-14-2013, 11:20 PM
I'm sorry to hear this news. I've done business with them and they were great to deal with. I hope Jared makes a full and swift recovery.

waksupi
05-14-2013, 11:29 PM
Sorry to hear this. Hope he recovers. Was this only a BP business or did they
have smokeless on site also?

Bill

I only dealt with the BP end, but it sounds like they had some loaded rounds there. Probably a retail shop.

Brad K.
05-15-2013, 08:45 AM
Powder, Inc. took over Black Dawge Cartridge a couple years ago. They may have been making Black Dawge ammunition at the time of the accident. They have been selling BP and black powder substitute since I have been working with the Deans, since 2002. (I help with the web site.)

41 mag fan
05-15-2013, 10:00 AM
Man thats not good. I hope theres a full recovery from this!

plinky56
05-15-2013, 10:30 AM
Best wishes and a speedy recovery.

Blacksmith
05-15-2013, 10:07 PM
Brad K.
Please keep us posted and convey our best wishes to the young man and his family.

TXGunNut
05-15-2013, 10:23 PM
I've only dealt with them a little but know they're good folks who'd appreciate our thoughts and prayers.

John Allen
05-15-2013, 10:29 PM
Best Wishes, Lets hope he heals quickly with little problems.

Brad K.
05-16-2013, 12:38 AM
Blacksmith,

Haven't heard anything from Jerry, and have been reluctant to intrude. I understand his son has serious burns. I doubt even good news will come before tomorrow or the next day. For now, "no news" is what I hope for.

Three-Fifty-Seven
05-16-2013, 12:59 AM
ments.

km101
05-16-2013, 05:10 PM
I went by their place several years ago with a friend who picked up some powder. They were nice people and great to deal with. I hope that Jared recovers fully and they are able to continue in business. I'm sure that they would appreciate all our thoughts and prayers!

Smoke4320
05-16-2013, 05:19 PM
Surely hate to hear this .. They are going to have a lot to deal with ..Prayers for the whole family..

Brad K.
05-16-2013, 10:50 PM
I got an email from Jerry. Jerred is doing better each day; they plan to resume office hours come Monday, May 20.

fouronesix
05-16-2013, 11:08 PM
Now that's good news and hope Jared continues to improve! I got an order from Jerry just prior to this accident- have always been very good folks to deal with.

TXGunNut
05-16-2013, 11:10 PM
Thanks, Brad. Please let them know we're thinking about them.

Brad K.
05-19-2013, 12:23 AM
TXGunNut,

Got an email from Jerry tonight. Here is his official word:
---
There was a serious accident at our plant on May 14 involving our younger son. He was critically injured and is in Arkansas Children’s Hospital Burn Unit in Little Rock, AR. He has had his first surgery and the doctor’s are amazed at his progress. He is looking at several weeks in the hospital, and we expect a full recovery. The out pouring of prayers, love and support from our customers have been overwhelming. We will report updates on his condition.
---
Powder, Inc. will re-open Monday, May 20. Black Dawge Cartridge will remain closed, for now.

Dean D.
05-19-2013, 03:18 AM
Thank you for the update Brad. That is really good news. I hope Jared continues to heal up and is home soon.

SharpsShooter
05-19-2013, 07:44 AM
Outstanding news!

SS

Circuit Rider
05-19-2013, 09:22 AM
Dropped my trailer at I-40 and bob-tailed over to their business once about 5 years ago to pick up some BP. Couldn't ask for nicer folks. Brad please let them know a great number of Cast Boolits members are praying for Jared and the family. CR

TXGunNut
05-19-2013, 02:13 PM
Thanks for the update, sounds like this young man and his family have a long row to hoe. It appears they're up to the task. Will keep them in my thoughts and prayers.

hiram1
05-22-2013, 07:08 PM
A man injured last week in an explosion at an ammunition manufacturing facility is recovering after being critically injured in the blast. Jared Dean underwent surgery Friday and "doctors are amazed at his progress" Jerry Dean, owner of Black Powder Inc., and Jared Dean's father, wrote in a statement on the black powder distributor's website. Dean was the only person injured in the May 14 explosion north of Clarksville that investigators with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives have declared an accident. Dean was admitted last week to the burn unit of Arkansas Children's Hospital in Little Rock. "He is looking at several weeks in the hospital, and we expect a full recovery," Jerry Dean wrote in the statement. "The outpouring of prayers, love, and support from our customers have been overwhelming." The website indicated Black Powder Inc. resumed business on Monday.

Brad K.
08-01-2013, 11:01 PM
Here it is some weeks later. Jerred had a bout with pneumonia, and has been kept sedated much of the last month, to help them clear his lungs. His grafts and surgeries have been going well, and he continues to recover and improve. I wish Jerry, his wife and daughters, and all the rest of them, the very best.

I have been posting more timely updates on Jerry's "PowderInc.com" web page.

Dean D.
08-01-2013, 11:43 PM
Thanks for the update Brad! I'm still keeping Jerred in my thoughts and prayers.