PDA

View Full Version : Opt. Rod

smokemjoe
05-14-2013, 09:22 PM
The opt. rod on my M1A is very heavy, On my light cast bullet loads I know it will not eject the emptys, If I got a extra spring, cut off a small amount at a time, Do you think it would work, Thanks- Joe

seagiant
05-15-2013, 12:07 AM
Hi,
I would bring the load up that you are using till it would function the rifle. I don't shoot cast in my M-14 (yet) but I do in my AR-15 and shoot a load that runs the rifle no problem. Maybe someone will come along with more detailed info! Just my thoughts?

BruceB
05-15-2013, 01:38 AM
[QUOTE=smokemjoe;2216198]The opt. rod on my M1A is very heavy,"

Do you mean that your op-rod is NON-STANDARD? If so, that would be a new one on me, never having heard of such a thing.

A standard M14/M1A op-rod likely weighs over a pound, but I've never weighed one.

If your rifle operates normally with regular service-level ammunition (150 @ 2600) then it will also work well with cast loads. All it will require is a correct powder charge for the bullet in question. The weight of the op-rod means nothing, and I would NOT repeat: NOT cut the op-rod spring for any reason.

Have you read the enormous thread about cast in the M1A on this site? If not, go the forum titled "CB Loads/Military Rifles"; it's a sticky at the top of the forum listings.

country gent
05-15-2013, 08:46 AM
By specs the rifles spring is to measure 18" in the relaxed state. Shortening it might make it function better with cast boolits but one or 2 factory ( mil spec loads will wreack havoc with the guns internals. Check for binding of the rod in guide and reciever. Keep the bolt roller greased good and a light lube on rod. A light coat of grease on the lugs and raceways, also on the faces to keep away gaulding a national match follower ( one that supports the spring in the tube of the op rod) smooths operation up alot. A straight spring one that isnt kinked is a plus. DO you have the standard op rod guide or the wide national match? Standard is about 1/2" wide thk wide is about an 1" thk long. Looks like a figure 8 one end on barrel pined other supports front of oprod. Make sure gas piston is clean Scrape out inside holes with snug fitting drill bits and Hoppes. Carbon builds up in these making piston sluggish and heavier. It used to be and still is being done Check gas plug for a "port" used to be popular to drill .062 hole thru gas plug to relieve pressure and tone down extraction ejection on match rifles. Some were drilled and tapped for set screws with holes of various sizes. The biggest thing is keeping the piston free of carbon build up.