PDA

View Full Version : Hello, all!

DAL357
09-13-2007, 03:01 PM
Although I'm a newbie here, I've known about this site for some time, and visited it more than once.

As I type this, I have my first attempt at smelting WW in the garage cooling in a 6-cavity muffin tin I picked up at Goodwill. I melted the WW on an old camping stove in a small Lodge iron pot. After skimming the lead for clips and garbage, I fluxed with some Frankford Arsenal stuff from Midway, skimmed some more, and poured the lead into the tin.

So far, so good.

Heck, I just remembered that I didn't spray any of that mould release stuff into the tin; I hope the lead's not stuck. Let me go check and I'll get back to you.
DAL357

DAL357
09-13-2007, 03:21 PM
Well, I flipped the tin, expecting the worst, but the cakes just fell right out!

This was just a quick experiment to try my hand at smelting, so I only have 8 pounds of lead to show for my efforts, but I'll smelt more in the near future.

Then again, since I have some useable lead now, maybe I should just get to casting a few bullets just to see how that works. Decisions, decisions.

I'm fairly anxious to get some bullets made to try in my Python, and to try out both the Lee bottom pour furnace and Lee TL bullet mould, but I guess that'll have to wait for a bit.

It's been nice talking to you.
DAL357

Lead melter
09-13-2007, 03:26 PM
Howdy,

I'm also a newborn at the sight, but thus far each and all seem friendly. I doubt you'll have any trouble with the lead sticking to the pan. This is the same method I've used for the last couple of years to mix my alloy into mini-muffin size for ease of melting. Looking forward to seeing your posts in the future.
Lead melter

"Ignorance is the parent of fear."-Herman Melville

fourarmed
09-13-2007, 03:27 PM
I guess you're using "tin" in the generic or British sense. A real tin-plated steel muffin pan solders itself to the ingots and sticks with the tenacity of a Christian holding five aces.

Edited to add, welcome to the board.

9.3X62AL
09-13-2007, 03:36 PM
Another "welcome aboard", and we generally don't bite very often. Even if that happens, we've had all our shots.

Colt Pythons were MADE for cast boolits.

dromia
09-13-2007, 04:49 PM
Welcome here. :drinks:

beagle
09-13-2007, 05:29 PM
Welcome. Sounds like you're on the right track.

Casting bullets reminds me of the old Viet Nam quote: "In the bannister slide of life, Viet Nam was but a splinter in my _ss."

In casting bullets, there are a lot of splinters. Maybe some of what you read here will help you avoid some of them. I can tell you, I've had my share./beagle

454PB
09-13-2007, 10:38 PM
Welcome aboard, DAL357.

My first smelting attempt using some chrome plated muffin pans is etched in my memory. I spent hours ripping that pan off my valuable ingots.

DAL357
09-13-2007, 10:51 PM
Yes, I guess I was using the term "tin" in the generic sense. Actually, I think it's really made out of aluminum.

I look forward to learning at the feet of the masters, and maybe contributing a crumb or two myself, someday.
DAL357

pumpguy
09-13-2007, 10:52 PM
Welcome aboard DAL357 and remember cast iron and steel are your friends when it comes to pouring ingots. By the way, where are you located in Colorado?

44woody
09-13-2007, 11:04 PM
welcom to the board Dale357 let me give you a word of warning DO NOT MELT WW IN A ALUMINUM POT IT WILL BLOW OUT ON YOU it is very dangerous and don't put wet ww in melted lead very bad for you steam explosion will happen :castmine: 44Woody

Buckshot
09-14-2007, 12:29 AM
............DAL357, let me add my welcome, too. Lets see, 8 lbs of lead is about 350 generic 148gr WC's. That'll be good for about 2 trips to the range or one afternoon's worth of death and destruction upon dirt clods, cans, clay targets, and steel swingers.

When you start calculating your lead supply in ton's you'll have a warm fuzzy and much more secure feeling. :-) Welcome to the illuminati of shooters.

................Buckshot

DAL357
09-14-2007, 09:11 AM
welcom to the board Dale357 let me give you a word of warning DO NOT MELT WW IN A ALUMINUM POT IT WILL BLOW OUT ON YOU it is very dangerous and don't put wet ww in melted lead very bad for you steam explosion will happen :castmine: 44Woody

Thanks. No, I have a small 10-pound capacity cast iron pot I used, which worked surprisingly well on the camp stove, even without a hear shield. I've heard about the horror stories of moisture and lead getting together, so I am going to be circumspect about keeping them from meeting.

Pumpguy, I am in C/S.

Buckshot, I am actually headed to the range tomorrow for an IHMSA silhouette match, but I am, unfortunately, not going to have the time to make and load any bullets/rounds before then. With some effort, and a little luck, I should have things in order and ready to go by next month's match.

9.3X62AL, for a long time I shied away from using lead in my Python because of the chore of scrubbing out the stubborn, grey residue. Only recently did I try some Lee Liquid Alox on commercial cast bullets, and am I glad I did! After 50 rounds, there was practically no leading. The hard, blue lube that was in the bullet's lube grooves might as well not even have been there for all the good it ever did. With LLA, shooting lead is a joy, and the Python is finally proving its mettle. In other words, it's ACCURATE. Now, if the bullets I cast will work as well, or better, I'll be a happy handgunner.
DAL357

1Shirt
09-14-2007, 09:19 AM
DAL357, Welcome! If you are having a problem with Python leading, you may be shooting slightly undersized blts. Try going up in size and you may eliminate leading all together.
1Shirt!:coffee:

leftiye
09-14-2007, 03:46 PM
Plus, there are better lubes still that you can try. Not too necessary in midrange loads, but more so as loads get hotter.

Buckshot
09-14-2007, 04:25 PM
.................I cast the Lee 358-148WC in a 6 cavity mould using pure lead for my K38's target boolits. They're loaded 'as cast' and tumble lubed. The barrel looks like it'd just been cleaned. Well lets be honest here :-). There IS a slight 'shading' to the bright rifled surface.

................Buckshot

DAL357
09-14-2007, 11:00 PM
1Shirt, I first tried .358" cast bullets and got leading. Then I went to .357" cast bullets and, again, got leading. Then I tried the LLA on the .357" bullets and...no more leading! Since I have no more .358" cast bullets (at least until I make up some of my own), I can't say whether or not LLA on them would have helped, but I suspect it would have.

BTW, I slugged my Python barrel (6") and got .3555," IIRC.
DAL357

P.S. BTW, is your username an allusion to the term "First Shirt" used in the army as a nickname for a first sargeant?

9.3X62AL
09-15-2007, 01:17 AM
I agree that the blue crayon lube applied to commercial cast boolits is only slightly better than useless.

Pythons (and other target-grade Colt revolvers) are very slightly choke-bored at the muzzle, there is about .001"-.0015" of reduction near the muzzle compared to the barrel just forward of the frame. My early 50's Officer's Model Target has .3575"-.358" throats.....muzzle is just under .356". .358" boolits of many designs sized at .358" and lubed with Javelina Alox give fine accuracy and zero leading. Size the boolits at .359", and the leading edge of #358429 won't fully enter the throats. PITA.